Trifoilum

find wisdom, build hope.
Dec 27, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Source

"I don't have to pursue my inferior function, look at what it does to the world..."

INJ (se): "...such a brutal, sensate landscape. why do people settle for animalistic immediacy? I'm not an animal, that's for sure. I'll conceive my own reality, on my own terms."
ITP (fe): "...people are so easily manipulated and shallow. I can see how things really work, I couldn't possibly play along. Isn't anyone able to think for themselves?"
IFP (te): "...individuals are so divided and discouraged, for such horrid impersonal reasons. I pay attention to how people feel, and that's more important than anything."
ISJ (ne): "...such chaos and nonsense, it would all self-destruct if it wasn't for those of us keeping check of things. Do people really want things to fall apart?"

EFJ (ti): "...cold, hard logic doesn't go anywhere toward helping people. where would we be without each other? why risk breaking that necessary bond?"
ETJ (fi) "...people are so unwilling to take charge, too afraid of stepping on someone else's toes just to get something done. I get things done, I have the balls to see how life really works."
ENP (si) "...immobility never lasts, the earth never sits still. If you just sit in one place, how could you possibly go anywhere?"
ESP (ni) "...trying to repress your own instincts only serves to heighten them. why are people so frightened of what's right in front of their nose?"

What do you think?
I certainly can see this on some levels in people; myself included. however, this exact sentence are probably spoken / held by ...less mature / developed individuals. There are plenty of logical fallacies spread.

The INJ(se) represents how I feel inside at times.
Although I expressed the ENJ(fi) when I was younger. It took quite awhile for me to learn to adapt to expressing my emotions freely.

I can definately see how the IFP(te) conflicts with how I view the world.

I think it happens in an opposite sense too. Ni doms who embrace sensuality and the primal. I have an INTP friend who has a Fe fetish, that makes him attuned to interpersonal relationships, how he comes across, what other think of him and such. He come across as very considerate compared to what you'd expect from a Fe inferior.

@Peppermint :
Agreed. Another devil on its own; fetish indeed.

http://mbtitypes.blogspot.com/2010/07/inferior-function-fetish.html

Whilst hobbies can be helpful in determining someone's personality type and often reflect a person's dominant and auxiliary cognitive function combination, some hobbies they may in fact reflect the very opposite - a person's inferior function AKA as aspirational function.

It might sound unusual a person doing an activity that is high energy cost to them (as using our inferior cognitive function is), but the feeling of heroism by conquering and defeating your weakness can be enough motivation to pursue such activities.

Here are some examples of inferior function fetishes you may see in the different personality types:

Ni dominants (INTJ and INFJ) may develop Se fetishes to conquer their weakness such as car racing, sports and dancing.

Ne dominants (ENTP and ENFP) may develop Si fetishes such as maintenance work, collecting hobbies, history and gardening

Se dominants (ESTP and ESFP) may have Ni fetishes such as dreaming, philosophy and spirituality.

Si dominants (ISTJ and ISFJ) may develop Ne fetishes like improvisational comedy.

Ti dominants (ISTP and INTP) may develop Fe fetishes to conquer their weakness like acting, fashion, hosting parties, public speaking, psychology and volunteer work/community service.

Te dominants (ENTJ and ESTJ) may develop Fi fetishes such as personal expression through music, design, poetry, arts and crafts

Fe dominants (ESFJ and ENFJ) may develop Ti fetishes such as strategy games, engineering, construction and mechanics

Fi dominants (INFP and ISFP) may develop Te fetish such as structural organisation, debating, business and politics

In a sense those type of people might have been looked more balanced compared to your average MBTI person. On another way, they might looked weaker / less [insert type here].

Wow. Please don't tell me that I am an INTP....at least from a fetish perspective ;)
That fits me more than the INTJ.

I'm just kidding. I understand that each individual will develop certain functions based on enviromental factors and experience. It isn't cut and dried, there is a lot of give in the MBTI system.

Wow. Please don't tell me that I am an INTP....at least from a fetish perspective ;)
That fits me more than the INTJ.

I'm just kidding. I understand that each individual will develop certain functions based on enviromental factors and experience. It isn't cut and dried, there is a lot of give in the MBTI system.
That sounds naughty. XD

Personally speaking; yes, I agreed with what you said. It may as well be that what you / they considered part of function A, is actually part of function B for them / you.
It's...quite a complex factoring. <3

I had no idea that music, arts, and crafts were considered a fetish...

Reactions: Nixie
Haha. That's so funny!!! ...if people only knew I do Zumba secretly at home! :m2::m202: :m200:... ... well not so secretly anymore...:m025:

I think the ENP one is well described.

I think ISJ inferior Ne projection is more like "All these crazy people jumping from thing to thing, I'm the only person who stops and thinks."

ISJ (ne): "...such chaos and nonsense, it would all self-destruct if it wasn't for those of us keeping check of things. Do people really want things to fall apart?"
ETJ (fi) "...people are so unwilling to take charge, too afraid of stepping on someone else's toes just to get something done. I get things done, I have the balls to see how life really works."

That's me, though I don't readily accept it. Strangely, I don't relate to the INJ one at all.

Last edited:
A Te fetish for politics?
That I do have. Only because I like being indignant and ranting and raving, though.
It is the perfect outlet.

[MENTION=2172]Trifoilum[/MENTION]

I actually enjoy pursuing my inferior sensate function. It's relieving. Why else would I like hugs, hikes, occasional video games, and workouts?

A Te fetish for politics?
That I do have. Only because I like being indignant and ranting and raving, though.
It is the perfect outlet.

@Trifoilum

I actually enjoy pursuing my inferior sensate function. It's relieving. Why else would I like hugs, hikes, occasional video games, and workouts?
From what I understand, it's precisely the reason. (See; Inferior fetish)

It's us trying to improve, train, or peruse our inferior function by taking on things that 'in general' uses the aforementioned function in purpose.
It may be for relief, or for improvement (of the function or of ourselves), or just plain thrill on 'doing something new and exciting'...

It's not particularly bad, but it -can- be.....something of a tunnel vision.

Fi dominants (INFP and ISFP) may develop Te fetish such as structural organisation, debating, business and politics
This fits. Actually, Te is probably one of the most developed functions for me because of work which is all about organizational skills. When I operate in Te, I'm the most efficient or effective at getting what I need to do done.

ITP (fe): "...people are so easily manipulated and shallow. I can see how things really work, I couldn't possibly play along. Isn't anyone able to think for themselves?"
IFP (te): "...individuals are so divided and discouraged, for such horrid impersonal reasons. I pay attention to how people feel, and that's more important than anything."

Actually, I don't connect with the description of the IFP inferior Te, at least the way it's described here. The ITP (fe) inferior sounds more me. Hmm.

Actually, I don't connect with the description of the IFP inferior Te, at least the way it's described here. The ITP (fe) inferior sounds more me. Hmm.
Certain possibilities;
The degree of development you have in your function may have affected your functions and the way you think; in certain theories, if you are indeed INFP; your Fe is also considered inferior -- 5th rank. So maybe you don't really show the Te projection, but instead goes straight to Fe.
It's also possible that the values you considered in the words involved different...values (for example; what you considered easily manipulated might have been, within general standards, more close to what others considered discouraged.)
Of course, it's also possible that the theories does not apply to all person. And a whole lot of possibility...

Reactions: Gaze
I think it happens in an opposite sense too. Ni doms who embrace sensuality and the primal. I have an INTP friend who has a Fe fetish, that makes him attuned to interpersonal relationships, how he comes across, what other think of him and such. He come across as very considerate compared to what you'd expect from a Fe inferior.

I have gone through a long deliberate phase (if you can call several years a phase...) doing many types of Se activity because I realized as a teenager that I found them a bit distasteful. I decided to get my hands dirty, so to speak, to understand what people get out of them. I'm thinking the bad ESTP wannabe thing INFJs reportedly do is when it goes overboard and you stop relating to people in a feeling way (Fe) or to your Ni which should give you scruples... because what keeps an ESTP usually in line is their very social nature, they care about consequences, how they are perceived and how the whole social sphere functions. INFJs don't really honestly care so much about that and can be real loose cannons if they go with instant sensate gratification too much. I mean I love to dance at times, ride jet skis or the back of my husband's motorcycle as he races down the higway, I used to love moshpits as a teen, played gritty punkrock, have known to be a real good time Charlie, but it's not something you want to take over your life. If done with err... dignity intact... it's very relaxing. I think Exploring your external sensing is a fetish also in the way that I love looking at textures, colors and really listening to sounds etc. If I'm not focusing on it specifically I can walk into a lamppost cause I'm thinking of some thing or another... ;D This may actually be why the INFJs creativity for artists is sporadic and intense, because we have to use our external sensing for it...just a thought. ;d

From what I understand, it's precisely the reason. (See; Inferior fetish)

It's us trying to improve, train, or peruse our inferior function by taking on things that 'in general' uses the aforementioned function in purpose.
It may be for relief, or for improvement (of the function or of ourselves), or just plain thrill on 'doing something new and exciting'...

It's not particularly bad, but it -can- be.....something of a tunnel vision.
I think It's good to go let off steam and go shoot paintguns in the woods at times, but mostly be at home, sitting on a sofa with woolly socks on and read Wittgenstein.

edit: By the way, have you noticed the very vast amount of sex related things on this forum. Check the mature topics. INFJs are weirdly sensualistic and can become a little sex crazed. The relationship is humorously complex for INFJs ranging from thinking like a nun to shallow sexbeast, in one package...or at least minimum scared of turning into a shallow sexbeast. XD again...sensate issues. This particular being more complex because of our western culture. No spiritual sensuality ala Kama Sutra. I guess the song of solomon being only spiritual reference in this culture... dunno. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's one trait, a sort of complex really, that also happens in fetish.
The push and pull, coverage and exposure, awareness and confusion between what you lack and what you want...
Inferior fetish, inferior projection, sexual fetish...
Is it the demon? Or is it part of you?
Is it dirty? Or is it untouched?
Is it wrong? Is it exciting? Is it enlightening?
Do you feel ashamed of it? Do you crave it?
Should it be approached? Should you run? Should you stay?
Do you push it even further? Keep it separate from your being? Let it out peacefully? Try to pursue it? Welcome it to your life? Engage fully in it?
Will you choose to control, to release, or to pursue?
Will control turns into dominance?
Will relief turns into surrender?
Will pursuit turns into indulgence?

Where is the line of sanity? Where is the line of normalcy? Where is the line of balance? Where's the line of happiness?
It would be different for each people; it would be seen as different for each people.

Last edited:

I can also see some people I know in there:
My ENFJ friend did their first degree in some kind of IT systems engineering before switching to psychology after a job related burnout.
My ENFP husband has at times done maintenance work between his more ENFP suited ventures, work he hates but feels a pull to do like it was the only kind of crummy job... ;D
An ISFJ friend is a constant joker.
An ESTP friend often gets obsessed with books like The Da Vinci Code or what's in vogue...Paulo Coelho...etc. Has conversations with INFJs... ;D Quid Pro Quo...They take me out to do line dancing or something.