Independent vs. classroom study | INFJ Forum

Independent vs. classroom study

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
How effective is classroom study? When does it work and when does it not work for different subjects? How effective is independent study realistically? If there isn't discipline or committment, does it really work in the end?

I don't mind good classroom lectures and discussions. It helps with learning but I wonder if too much education is dependent on classroom study. I've often found that classroom structure is more about keeping up with the class than actual learning. Attention spans are lower today, and people process less because their minds are required to juggle more and more information coming in everyday.

On the other hand, I don't think complete online study or no classroom discussion is always an ideal alternative because they're not always that effective.

When the goal is learning and engagement with the subject, independent study outside of the classroom, out in the world or on one's own time or pacing, with instructors as supervisors or guides may be more effective.

Thoughts?

When I find myself in a class discussion, I feel more forced to think cleverly as opposed to thinking reasonably. It seems to become more of a game to 'keep up with everyone else' than to just keep up with myself.

For me, I'd rather learn by myself at my own pace than to loiter my mind with people's thoughts and opinions. I'd personally rather take time to understand all the information and process it before I choose to discuss. I find it incredibly ignorant of me to discuss without immersing myself in the original idea. Then when I have acquired enough knowledge, it's nice to discuss it with others and see where it can be applied.

I've been like this since I was young and I thrived on independent study than classroom study... I even begged my mum to pull me out of school so I could just study for my GED and move on to college at my own pace. I hated the structure of public school. Unfortunately, it never happened but I did graduate high school a year early so that was nice.

I think some people need classroom study just as much as independent study. Some of us don't do well with structure, some of us do, therefore... it's good to have all options available. It helps us find the options that suit us; as opposed to us, suiting them.

Last edited:
When I find myself in a class discussion, I feel more forced to think cleverly as opposed to thinking reasonably. It seems to become more of a game to 'keep up with everyone else' than to just keep up with myself.

For me, I'd rather learn by myself at my own pace than to loiter my mind with people's thoughts and opinions. I'd personally rather take time to understand all the information and process it before I choose to discuss. I find it incredibly ignorant of me to discuss without immersing myself in the original idea. Then when I have acquired enough knowledge, it's nice to discuss it with others and see where it can be applied.

Agree, especially in classes today it's more about competition of voices or ideas, rather than learning. And instructors often drop the ball by focusing more on who has the most significant idea rather than teaching students how to learn and how to think about what they learn, so that they understand and contribute to the discussions. I'd also rather immerse myself in the subject before discussing, and it seems that rarely is any topic properly introduced by professors before they expect a thorough and substantial discussion. I also think there is too much focus on keeping up with the readings rather than really engaging with the material and developing a good understanding of it. We are expected to cover dense readings in one week for one class, then move on to another. And it often becomes more about who can impress the instructor or professor with how much they can cite or quote from what they read or who has read a ton than actually discussion of the ideas. I prefer dialogue rather than people simply throwing out ideas with no followup.

Agree, especially in classes today it's more about competition of voices or ideas, rather than learning. And instructors often drop the ball by focusing more on who has the most significant idea rather than teaching students how to learn and how to think about what they learn, so that they understand and contribute to the discussions. I'd also rather immerse myself in the subject before discussing, and it seems that rarely is any topic properly introduced by professors before they expect a thorough and substantial discussion. I also think there is too much focus on keeping up with the readings rather than really engaging with the material and developing a good understanding of it. We are expected to cover dense readings in one week for one class, then move on to another. And it often becomes more about who can impress the instructor or professor with how much they can cite or quote from what they read or who has read a ton than actually discussion of the ideas. I prefer dialogue rather than people simply throwing out ideas with no followup.

Yup.

I also don't think most people realize that when it comes to most college courses, you are actually learning how the professor perceives the knowledge, not exactly what the knowledge is. Therefore, it's always critical to learn the information on your own and compare it to your professor's perspective so you can do well.

Classroom study. It provides a sense of order and I thrive on deadlines.

However, there are certain things that I prefer to learn on my own. I've been researching game design engines and experimenting with scripting languages. While I could learn about these more efficiently in a classroom, it would inhibit my creativity. I'd have to learn the rules and the way things should be done. That creates a certain mindset that's tough for me to get out of.

Instead, I simply create as I see fit and learn as I go. I still plan to pick up some formal skills next year, but until then I'm enjoying just fucking around and seeing what works and what doesn't. Trial and error.