If the Universe came from Nothing, that doesn't mean there is no afterlife | INFJ Forum

If the Universe came from Nothing, that doesn't mean there is no afterlife

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by CuriousEn, Apr 6, 2013.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
More threads by CuriousEn
  1. CuriousEn

    CuriousEn Newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2013
    Threads:
    5
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    mouth
    Some people believe that our universe came from nothing. Now we can debate about what nothing means, but that is not what I intend to do. I think a Christian should look at this as good news, too. But I realized that there is something optimistic about coming from nothing. It means that anything is possible. If our whole entire universe came from nothing, then that means that anything can always come from nothing. Think about it. And this is based on the premise that you do believe that the universe came from nothing. If the universe came from literally nothing, then that means anything is possible. If the universe came from nothing, then that means that a universe can be created again and again because nothing is needed for anything to manifest.

    I realized that if all of us came from nothing, it would be silly to believe that we wouldn't live again. I'm not saying we have a soul or not. And I'm not trying to determine what the definition of self is. But you will regain consciousness in another form. There are over 7 billion people. And billions have lived before us. Are all these billions of people all just experiencing a live one time miracle? Really? We all come from the same stuff that was created at the beginning. So if NOTHING can create everything, then nothing is needed for you to live again. You are alive now. Why would now be any different than the future? And if you're not an energy, a soul, or a consciousness, then you are just a collection of your experiences. You are just brain cells. And if that is the case, then you are not the same person as you were yesterday or last year, since billions of cells change all of the time. Yet, you still consider yourself you. So I see no reason why a person would never be able to take on another life form with a conscience.

    Think about this. Whatever made you come into an existence has to happen again if you think about it. Why is that? Because nothing will exist for eternity. Or either nothing OR something will exist. And if nothing can create something, then you have an eternity to wait for conscience again. No think about it. Even if it took 1000000000000000000 years to transpire, you won't notice it. If you were made out of nothing, than nothing can and will make ''you'' again because you literally have eternity of nothing to wait. If life happened once, the law of averages insists it must happen again. You have an eternity to wait for the next ''miracle.''
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Maikl Jexocuha likes this.
  2. ruji

    ruji Well-known member

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2009
    Threads:
    32
    Messages:
    17,545
    Featured Threads:
    4
    Likes Received:
    56,669
    Trophy Points:
    3,257
    MBTI:
    .
    If we debated that, we surely wouldn't have proceeded to the rest of your post. In fact, your entire post is based on the premise that we came from nothing, which I don't believe.

    The origin of the universe is unknown, though I would assert that we are confident we know some things about the universe 13 billion years ago, which some believe was the beginning. This is very tricky territory. There are things you need to understand about physics in order to grasp what occurred at the big bang. In a singularity (what scientists believe the universe was), time doesn't exist. So you can argue that there literally was never a beginning, even though we can trace back to what seems to be the beginning through our perception of time as it exists today. With that said, if we were to somehow exist 13 billion years ago, time would be slowed significantly enough for us to perhaps believe the beginning of the universe was yet another 13 billion years behind us, which might seem like a second now. Therefore there was never a beginning.
     
    #2 ruji, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    Maikl Jexocuha likes this.
  3. Shadows

    Shadows Newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2013
    Threads:
    3
    Messages:
    12
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Reading through your writing made it clear to me that your looking at this from a very narrow minded view. And I am not saying that to sound offensive, but your telling everyone that nothing created everything.

    If nothing created everything, then is everything nothing?

    No one knows who or what caused the universe to exist exactly and we don't know how big the universe is. So how can you say that you know the way the universe was created when you have no clue how old or how big the universe actually is?
     
    Maikl Jexocuha likes this.
  4. Apone

    Apone Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2012
    Threads:
    44
    Messages:
    1,308
    Likes Received:
    250
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    MEGA
    Enneagram:
    MAN
    He's not saying that he knows, he's saying that IF this is true, then it's a really good thing.
    I agree, OP.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Maikl Jexocuha likes this.
  5. Cornerstone

    Cornerstone Well-known member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2012
    Threads:
    25
    Messages:
    2,313
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    3,126
    Trophy Points:
    877
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    London
    MBTI:
    Pisces
    Enneagram:
    Metal Goat
    Or you can go the other way and see pure consciousness as the 'nothing' which created time, space, energy and eventually matter.
    From that point of view, consciousness that is both conscious and unconscious is constantly creating and recreating on an individual, collective and planetary level etc.
    Hence it is by tapping into greater consciousness that the seemingly impossible feats of people like Jesus were possible - because everything comes from consciousness.

    But I also think there is a lot more to the universe than what we are capable of observing.
    Our viewpoint says more about us than it does the universe itself.
    Even the age is calculated by earth standards so 13 billion of our years could be 13 years for a planet orbiting a star a billion times bigger than ours.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Maikl Jexocuha likes this.
  6. Radiantshadow

    Radiantshadow Urban shaman

    Joined:
    May 8, 2011
    Threads:
    44
    Messages:
    2,465
    Likes Received:
    660
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    Human
    Enneagram:
    Human
    The presence or absence of an afterlife cannot be known for certain. It is a supernatural conceptualization that is not verifiable; therefore, it is impossible to accurately measure. Tread softly in epistemological crevices like this.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #6 Radiantshadow, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
    Maikl Jexocuha likes this.
  7. Matt3737

    Matt3737 Similes are like songs in love.

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2011
    Threads:
    48
    Messages:
    2,678
    Likes Received:
    1,280
    Trophy Points:
    792
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. SpecialEdition

    SpecialEdition Well-known member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2013
    Threads:
    99
    Messages:
    6,045
    Featured Threads:
    17
    Likes Received:
    18,287
    Trophy Points:
    2,017
    MBTI:
    ESTP
    Enneagram:
    88
    At present I have nothing to contribute to this as I am pondering on what you've written, but this is the most compelling thing I've read in terms of justifying the idea that there may be an afterlife. I think most people view an afterlife as still maintaining our sense of self and who we are at present after we are dead. I do not think that is true. I can't seen an after life just being a continuation of the present one. Anyway, I am pondering. Thank you for the thoughts.
     
  9. lenina

    lenina Community Member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2011
    Threads:
    13
    Messages:
    299
    Likes Received:
    64
    Trophy Points:
    587
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    dont know
    Thanks for sharing this. It makes sense to me. What lead you to wonder about this?
     
  10. sprinkles

    sprinkles Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    9,581
    Likes Received:
    7,233
    Trophy Points:
    1,011
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    I somewhat identify with this.

    I wouldn't call it afterlife though, just another life. Or maybe reincarnation of sorts. I mean who's to say that this isn't an afterlife right now? Or even an after after after afterlife?

    However, I don't think the universe came from nothing. I think it is eternal. I realize this was an 'if' statement though.
     
  11. Flavus Aquila

    Flavus Aquila Finding My Place in the Sun
    Banned

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    Threads:
    323
    Messages:
    10,047
    Featured Threads:
    49
    Likes Received:
    5,617
    Trophy Points:
    1,102
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Australia
    MBTI:
    INTJ - A
    Enneagram:
    10000
    This reminds me of the theory of multiple universes. Why presume that if there will be more than one, that they will be consecutive and not simultaneous? "You" might be living a billion different lives right now. But since, obviously, none of that knowledge, or experience intersects with one's life here and now, does such a possibility make any difference to us in this life, now?

    Is it any consolation that in a parrallel universe, you might be completely happy - or, perhaps, completely miserable? I think the life that counts is this one, in this universe. And as this universe and all in it came out of nothing unpredictably, presumably it and all that is in it can return to nothing unpredictably. If our life has any semblance of durability, or 'eternity' - more properly to us 'aeviternity' - then it is entirely connected and formed in part with our present mundane life.
     
  12. ThisIsWhoIAm

    ThisIsWhoIAm is best pony

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2012
    Threads:
    28
    Messages:
    802
    Likes Received:
    121
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Whether the universe came from something and from nothing, it doesn't change that it is what it is :)
     
  13. Nixie

    Nixie Resurrected

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2010
    Threads:
    84
    Messages:
    9,518
    Featured Threads:
    3
    Likes Received:
    3,601
    Trophy Points:
    976
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Oregon
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    I believe that life exists where nothing meets something.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. JGirl

    JGirl no chocolate flavored gum? wow

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2011
    Threads:
    47
    Messages:
    4,729
    Likes Received:
    1,213
    Trophy Points:
    370
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5
    i think it's interesting that the universe is seen as having something to do (i should say having any similarities with respect to existance) in common with the afterlife. the way i understand it, the universe is a physical thing. the afterlife is a concept.
    another thought i had...
    nothing is something's opposite, which in itself makes it something. seriously contradictory, but it made sense to me at the time.
     
    #14 JGirl, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  15. just me

    just me GONE

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2009
    Threads:
    221
    Messages:
    12,436
    Featured Threads:
    19
    Likes Received:
    7,583
    Trophy Points:
    1,121
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    not here
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    [​IMG] Sometimes I actually try to think of nothing. I find myself doing nothing other times. One can try to shut the whole world out, but it doesn't create a state of nothingness. In Christianity, God was there in the beginning. I see nothing differently than the average guy, because there is always something going on somewhere........................................The older I get, the stronger my spirit becomes. It is not difficult for me to see that spirit shedding its body to become as new life in spirit form.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #15 just me, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  16. Eventhorizon

    Eventhorizon Permanently relocated
    Banned

    Joined:
    May 19, 2013
    Threads:
    251
    Messages:
    16,550
    Featured Threads:
    31
    Likes Received:
    10,275
    Trophy Points:
    2,187
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    I offer the following.

    "Life is the universe made conscious." - Me

    I have spent the better part of my life looking for this type of answer and those related to it. I have researched those that have explored the inner mind as well as those that have explored the known universe. My view on life has changed with my own life. This is what I currently believe.

    I believe there is a high probability we are a simulation on some level. Take your pick as to our purpose. I currently lean towards the idea that we created this place. We know we are energy, something science has proven. I think we come from a place where we can do anything and everything we can imagine. Death is unknown where we come from. Now, imagine how you would feel after 1000 years of living in your mind free of any limitations. Imagine how you would feel after 1 million. I suggest you would become bored on a level you cant even imagine. What would be the cure, the solution, the vacation to this? I suggest you work in a combined effort with others and create a world where "souls" (for lack of a better word) can go and experience existence with "rules." Where you role the dice, enter and you live a finite amount of time and then come back. Why? Because it is a vacation, a break from the monotony of being all powerful.

    Just an idea.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Cornerstone likes this.
  17. Poetic Justice

    Donor

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2008
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    2,916
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    561
    Trophy Points:
    657
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    5
    Everything came out of nothing. No-thing. Things aren't the only things there are. If that makes sense.Things are part of our universe and therefore part of the creation or invention or whatever it is. So is time so any notion of before or after is a construst. Just like things areWe don't know what no-thing is. But it is something
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Loading...

Share This Page