I need more detail on the details | INFJ Forum

I need more detail on the details

Feb 23, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Seeing as my own personality fascinates me to a seemingly selfish extent (kind of embarrassing), I have done a lot of research on INFJs. And every single essay, blog, test result, definition, and comment that I have read do not answer my question. Apparently, INFJs generally tend to ignore details and just focus on the big picture, and I really don't understand what that means. I am a persistent perfectionist in pretty much everything I do, so it would slowly kill me inside if I overlooked any details while doing something. So does pushing aside details only count when INFJs learn? And if so, I still don't really get what that means. I understand that not everything defined about INFJs is completely accurate, but this has been a pretty consistent "fact" in all of my research. So can somebody please explain this to me? An example would probably be the most helpful, if you can think of one. Sorry if it should be the most obvious thing in the world to me, I can be a little slow sometimes.

Last edited:
I might have something to offer, so I’ll give it a shot…

When you say that you’re into detail do you mean that you like to look at things from every angle? Because if so, that’s a very INFJish way to be “into detail” and at the same time, not necessarily the same way in which dominate sensor types are into detail. There is also the fact that an INFJ demonstration of their own “J-ness” can come across in a highly organized attention to detail in their everyday life, which could be something that you see in yourself. And I think you hit on something when you said, “So does pushing aside details only count when INFJs learn?” I’d just adjust that a little and say that the details take a back seat to intuition when INFJs perceive or are gathering information.

Well the thing about detail is there's 'sufficient detail' and 'exhaustive detail'.

I'm usually more of a 'sufficient detail' person and won't go into 'exhaustive detail' unless I need to.

For example, when I first started learning Japanese riichi mahjong, I tried to just figure out "What do I need to know to just start playing" so I only looked at the most pertinent and commonly encountered rules that I could play a complete game of mahjong with. I did not get into the advanced details with all the rare yaku and such until I had the basics nailed down and decided that I actually wanted to try winning more often.

And by mahjong I mean this, the real thing. Not that other nonsense thing that needlessly stole the name mahjong, it's like saying freecell is poker.
[video=youtube;XqxKGdqrYxk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqxKGdqrYxk[/video]