[INFJ] - I like my guitar teacher. What should I do? | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] I like my guitar teacher. What should I do?

Dec 6, 2021
MBTI
INFJ
Hey, INFJ woman here.
So, I started to liking my guitar teacher and don't know what to do....

At the begging of this year I started learning playing the guitar. I was looking for a teacher and found him via our mutual friends.
Recently I found out that I started to develop feelings for him... I mean, I like him, don't know if as a friend or more, but it makes me wonder and overthink A LOT lately.
He is one year younger than me, we're in our late 20s. He's truly a wonderful person, very kind, empathetic, thoughtful, inspiring, intelligent, blablabla. We talk a lot on our classes (I know, we should focus on the learning part but... as we have some mutual friends we started to talk about them first, then we found out that we share same hobbies, approach to life, like similar things, etc.), there is always something to talk about, but as it goes, me or him tries to stop this when we go with the flow too much :sweatsmile: talk a bit, and then go to the learning part.
So, almost from the beginning we have good connection, but maybe it's because he's very open and out-going person, which company makes you feel warm-welcomed.

Sooo, many weeks ago I started to notice that he's blushing when talking to me about the things he tries to teach me. When he plays, he's superconfident, but when explaining something or when I'm gazing into his eyes :)sweatsmile:) he starts feeling uncomfortable (?). I do not know, it's subconscious. I feel he acts differently.
I always enjoy our lessons, he tries to make me feel good, offers me drinks (recently we drunk coffee at 7 pm :sweatsmile:) and teaches new things but he always explains them veeeeery slowly. Like I feel I would do it much quicker, and he focuses on details very much (wants me to learn the best possible way).

Recently, he invited me to his band's first concert (I started to panicking when hearing this and almost immediately response that I will go there with me friend :sweatsmile:). It was great, I really enjoyed it. I catched him after that to congratulate, he welcomed me (it was a "weird" energy between us, I acted weirdly as always, but so does he, we talked for about two minutes with my friend and his friend also), he needed to talk to other people and go. Then I texted him it was great to go there and he replied that it was cool I was there.
After that we had one lesson, we talked for 20 minutes about the concert, random stuff that we found out we like together and then we started to have a lesson about the music theory. And then, again, a huge blushing on his cheeks, he couldn't stop looking into my eyes, but also tried to focus on the topic....

I don't know what to think. I'm confused. My gut feelings tells me there is something going on. On the other hand I know he's a very open person (don't know his MBTI type, I think he's an extrovert), social, have many friends and people around, so maybe he is just like that. Very kind, nothing more. And it's all in my head, as I love to OVERTHINK EVERYTHING and look for some clues.

I started to feel that this whole situation is too much for me, I can't no longer focus on playing and learning. It shouldn't be that way. I'm thinking of leaving the classes, but what can I say? Should I confess my feelings or do something?
One day I think to just simply run away, come with some stupid explaination and vanish. On the other hand, I had similar situation many years ago, when a guy liked me very much, I liked him too but even though, I hadn't confessed my feelings and sometimes think what it would be like if I would say something.....

But this time maybe it's all in my head.

Any advices? Please help :sweat:

Attachments

• clear.png
    clear.png
    137 bytes · Views: 4
Ask him for coffee or a drink. Don't be shy, you could miss an opportunity because you didn't do what was necessary. But also, it's not on you if he doesn't like you. You'll just never know if you don't try.

Hey, INFJ woman here.
So, I started to liking my guitar teacher and don't know what to do....

At the begging of this year I started learning playing the guitar. I was looking for a teacher and found him via our mutual friends.
Recently I found out that I started to develop feelings for him... I mean, I like him, don't know if as a friend or more, but it makes me wonder and overthink A LOT lately.
He is one year younger than me, we're in our late 20s. He's truly a wonderful person, very kind, empathetic, thoughtful, inspiring, intelligent, blablabla. We talk a lot on our classes (I know, we should focus on the learning part but... as we have some mutual friends we started to talk about them first, then we found out that we share same hobbies, approach to life, like similar things, etc.), there is always something to talk about, but as it goes, me or him tries to stop this when we go with the flow too much :sweatsmile: talk a bit, and then go to the learning part.
So, almost from the beginning we have good connection, but maybe it's because he's very open and out-going person, which company makes you feel warm-welcomed.

Sooo, many weeks ago I started to notice that he's blushing when talking to me about the things he tries to teach me. When he plays, he's superconfident, but when explaining something or when I'm gazing into his eyes :)sweatsmile:) he starts feeling uncomfortable (?). I do not know, it's subconscious. I feel he acts differently.
I always enjoy our lessons, he tries to make me feel good, offers me drinks (recently we drunk coffee at 7 pm :sweatsmile:) and teaches new things but he always explains them veeeeery slowly. Like I feel I would do it much quicker, and he focuses on details very much (wants me to learn the best possible way).

Recently, he invited me to his band's first concert (I started to panicking when hearing this and almost immediately response that I will go there with me friend :sweatsmile:). It was great, I really enjoyed it. I catched him after that to congratulate, he welcomed me (it was a "weird" energy between us, I acted weirdly as always, but so does he, we talked for about two minutes with my friend and his friend also), he needed to talk to other people and go. Then I texted him it was great to go there and he replied that it was cool I was there.
After that we had one lesson, we talked for 20 minutes about the concert, random stuff that we found out we like together and then we started to have a lesson about the music theory. And then, again, a huge blushing on his cheeks, he couldn't stop looking into my eyes, but also tried to focus on the topic....

I don't know what to think. I'm confused. My gut feelings tells me there is something going on. On the other hand I know he's a very open person (don't know his MBTI type, I think he's an extrovert), social, have many friends and people around, so maybe he is just like that. Very kind, nothing more. And it's all in my head, as I love to OVERTHINK EVERYTHING and look for some clues.

I started to feel that this whole situation is too much for me, I can't no longer focus on playing and learning. It shouldn't be that way. I'm thinking of leaving the classes, but what can I say? Should I confess my feelings or do something?
One day I think to just simply run away, come with some stupid explaination and vanish. On the other hand, I had similar situation many years ago, when a guy liked me very much, I liked him too but even though, I hadn't confessed my feelings and sometimes think what it would be like if I would say something.....

But this time maybe it's all in my head.

Any advices? Please help :sweat:
Good luck!

Are you getting independent lessons or is this a part of your formal education?

Oh never mind, I should have read your post more closely.

Hi @midseasonblooming. Welcome. This is a very cute crush. I have a soft spot for musicians, too. :hearteyes:

From your description, I cannot tell if the feeling is mutual. The blushing could be because he likes you, or it could be because you're staring, or because he feels awkward giving lessons. The fact that he goes slow when explaining could indicate he feels awkward.

Musicians invite everyone to shows. They want absolutely everyone to show up. It does matter to him that you went, though.

The fact that he only chatted with you for two minutes is not a good sign unless he was busy with band responsibilities like loading out, or he had to watch the merch, etc.

After so many interactions, it is strange he hasn't asked you out. If he does like you, he may be hesitating because he doesn't want to date a student.

Chatting with you for 20 minutes before a lesson means he likes you as a friend and maybe more, but again there is no hard evidence. I don't know how chatty he is in general.

You're at the crossroads where you either let it go or ask him out and prepare for the consequences of the student/teacher relationship shifting in one direction or another. You have to decide if you like him enough to risk getting a new teacher if he rejects you, or if it is just a pleasant crush you want to keep to yourself.

If you start dating him, also prepare for the fact that you cannot step between him and his music. You will come second to the band, his teaching, and practicing.

(I've been married to a musician for a long time.)