I learned something good today!

skippy64

Community Member
Nov 2, 2011
MBTI
-
Enneagram
-
Who would think you can learn something valuable from a video game? I did! :)

Edit: So I decided to delete the story, because it was just extra to read (and not necessary to understand the point I'm making)

Then, I thought, "Why is it that I didn't want to quickly apologize?" I do need to learn to speak better in those situations so not to seem disrespectful, but there was something more to it. I want to make a real, sincere apology- an apology that speaks to the heart is what I feel I must do.

I'm playing this xbox arcade game right now that's called Braid. Hear is a quote in the game "Our world, with its rules of causality, has trained us to be miserly with forgiveness. By forgiving too readily, we can be badly hurt. But if we've learned from a mistake and become better for it, shouldn't we be rewarded for the learning, rather than punished for the mistake?"

This is a great message for parenting as well. Time and forgiveness... a very important message I believe. Being sincere in your apology to someone will give you much personal growth... same goes to sincere forgiveness.

It is important that we take the time to reflect on our wrong doing. If someone shows us we are out of line, we need to pay them our full respect. If we say our words and tell the wrong doer to take time to think about what they did wrong, then we did our part. If they come back with no enlightenment, then punishment should be necessary. Time and forgiveness... You allow the wrong doer time, so they have a chance to be rewarded if they truly learned from their mistake and they want forgiveness. A wrong doer should not feel guilt if they are apologizing with the right intentions (unless of course it is something they can't change or fix).

More to add: So I learned something good, but here is where the fuzzy part comes in- how do you really know how much time to give the wrong doer? How do you know whether they are sincere in their apology, or they are just putting on an act? That is all up for you to decide I believe. I think the best way to parent is to play dumb. Do all of the following to ensure your child what behavior you expect out of them. If they put on an act the whole time and still make the same mistakes, then it's time to make them feel dumb. When they are left with no words, you punish them. When you see your child in pain, THEN you soften up on them (as they are ready to talk).

Do you think there is a catch to this message? I think it sounds about right.

Last edited: