I am ashamed of how little my country has done to help the Syrian refugees | INFJ Forum

I am ashamed of how little my country has done to help the Syrian refugees

La Sagna

I did it! I'm a butterfly!
Oct 27, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
This breaks my heart:

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...-to-take-in-family-of-drowned-syrian-boy.html

Hopefully the picture of that one little boy will spur more action from countries who could do so much more. I know that there are a few countries that are doing what they can, and they are the ones who are not in a very good position to help themselves, but the rich countries are not doing enough.

How desperate those people must be to risk their lives and their families' lives to go to places where they know they are not wanted and life will not be easy.

These are people just like all of us, who just happen to be unlucky enough to be born in a place that is not liveable right now.

Seeing as how we helped contribute to the crisis (arguable, yes I know) I think the US has an obligation to help.
Even if we were not a contributing factor, the US quite often plays the role of world police, by it’s own actions…so why can’t we use some of that money for humanitarian reasons…let’s send troops over to the border to protect the people and help set up refugee camps instead of sending drones to blow more shit up.
Just a thought.

How's that arguable?

I was saying for the sake of trying to keep the peace in the forum.
Personally, I think this is all our fault and we should be doing all we can to resolve it (besides military action).

This breaks my heart:

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...-to-take-in-family-of-drowned-syrian-boy.html

Hopefully the picture of that one little boy will spur more action from countries who could do so much more. I know that there are a few countries that are doing what they can, and they are the ones who are not in a very good position to help themselves, but the rich countries are not doing enough.

How desperate those people must be to risk their lives and their families' lives to go to places where they know they are not wanted and life will not be easy.

These are people just like all of us, who just happen to be unlucky enough to be born in a place that is not liveable right now.

It really is terrible. I don't know how we're going to fix the issue now, it's very complex.

One of the main things being brought up in Europe is that the people who are actually fleeing are the "resourceful", the ones that are privileged enough to be able to get away. That's not a problem as such, it just speaks volumes about the poor souls locked inside the terrible regime, that routinely rapes, kills and slaughters whole ethnicities of people.

You sow what you reap. The anti-west sentiment isn't coming out of the blue, it is coming from the terrible treatment that they've received over the last hundred years or so from the west, and our selfish motives.

What can I say. We should be ashamed.

Seeing as how we helped contribute to the crisis (arguable, yes I know) I think the US has an obligation to help.
Even if we were not a contributing factor, the US quite often plays the role of world police, by it’s own actions…so why can’t we use some of that money for humanitarian reasons…let’s send troops over to the border to protect the people and help set up refugee camps instead of sending drones to blow more shit up.
Just a thought.

The Western countries cannot deny that they have a responsibility in creating this crisis. Politics is a game...a bloody and heartless one.

Last edited:
The Western countries cannot deny that the have a responsibility in creating this crisis. Politics is a game...a bloody and heartless one.

Well, most people here know my politics pretty well I think.
You know who’s side I am on.

The sad things is those politicians who are clearly in the pocket of the military industrial complex who’s money our society has learned to depend on as a source of income almost.

Reactions: hush
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...n-kurdi-describes-how-his-family-drowned.html

The surviving father has been offered Canadian Citizenship now? Of course he rejected it. I wouldn't want anything to do with Canada after that.

F***k red tape. This isn't the time for that. They were desperately trying to get to Greece! You know they have to be desperate when Greece is looking good, and that's not a joke. Greece with it's big troubles is paradise and hope for these people.

Reactions: flower
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...n-kurdi-describes-how-his-family-drowned.html

The surviving father has been offered Canadian Citizenship now? Of course he rejected it. I wouldn't want anything to do with Canada after that.

F***k red tape. This isn't the time for that. They were desperately trying to get to Greece! You know they have to be desperate when Greece is looking good, and that's not a joke. Greece with it's big troubles is paradise and hope for these people.

The photo of that little boy on the beach... tears at my heart.

So much suffering around the world, in Syria and all over.

The apathetic and selfish nature of our society…to push the drowning victims under so you can stand on their dead bodies for air, will be our destruction.

Last edited:
11951132_10153212220351312_7822943085581564032_n.jpg

I do agree entirely with the points raised about the completely appalling apathy, particularly of the citizens of my country, the UK, toward the refugees fleeing violence, bombing and instant death in their home country of war-torn Syria.

However, there are a few little points I wish to raise, and they are indeed arguable from different points of view. Firstly, I think it is to persuade complete capitulation toward the enemies of the Western powers to conclude that part of the Syrian problem has been created by the West. Syria has been engrossed in a monstrous civil war since 2011, due to a series of failed uprisings by its citizens to overthrow the authoritarian dictatorship of Bashar al-Assad. The terrorist group 'Islamic State' have also conducted attacks on both sides of the Syrian conflict, causing further widespread destruction to homes and people's lives. The extent to which the West, particularly the United States of America has apparently caused such a huge refugee crisis is rather rich; they provided non-lethal aid to select members of the Syrian rebel armies opposing the Assad regime and have also conducted precision air-strikes on ISIS targets in the more deserted regions of the country.

Given these facts, it is hard for me to wish to blame the West for this crisis. The European nations are now accepting these refugees, including the UK government, which will provide its own refugee quota using its foreign aid budget. This is not a black and white issue, people. It will still take quite a long time to completely safeguard all of these refugees, which requires a hell of a lot of logistics, border crossing and cross-nation bilateral agreements within EU member-states. National security advisers of their leaders will be wishing (and I am sure they are right to do so) to check each and every person crossing the borders within Europe to make sure no members of ISIS or other extremely dangerous groups step through to plan their own attacks on cities.

The fact that social media is all of a sudden drowning in sanctimonious tears at the sight of a picture of a drowned boy being carried to shore, appears to display nothing more than a vast ignorance on the part of people living in the West. We seem to have absolutely no clue that beyond our Twitter feeds there is a world in which people are being slaughtered in the droves by sectarian murderers, but because they know nothing of the people that are actually responsible for such tragedy, they only look to their own governments for outcry, shame and condemnation. Instead of blaming the West on our enemies crimes, and wallowing in the grief of a boy that represents what has already been happening for over a decade, let us remind ourselves that we should continue to provide a course of action to solve the root of the problem, not just take in refugees. Let us encourage each other to help the Syrian people wipe out the threat of terrorists, and continue to provide non-lethal aims of stabilizing the Syrian Civial War by any means necessary to prevent further loss of life.

We know that this has been happening for a long time. We know that a lot of people have been killed.

What these pictures do is remind us that these are human people, not statistics. We know that they've been blowing each other up over there for ages but not everyone relates to faceless news print and it's often easy to not really care if you think of it as faceless numbers of people.

Also when we do know that people are suffering and dying everywhere we can some times become jaded and think "all kinds of people are dying. What makes these special?"

Until you see them and go "Oh..."

Also when we do know that people are suffering and dying everywhere we can some times become jaded and think "all kinds of people are dying. What makes these special?"

Until you see them and go "Oh..."

Exactly right.

Obamas failed policies have in large part caused this. It is sad but we cant solve the world's problems. Its just not realistic

I do agree entirely with the points raised about the completely appalling apathy, particularly of the citizens of my country, the UK, toward the refugees fleeing violence, bombing and instant death in their home country of war-torn Syria.

However, there are a few little points I wish to raise, and they are indeed arguable from different points of view. Firstly, I think it is to persuade complete capitulation toward the enemies of the Western powers to conclude that part of the Syrian problem has been created by the West. Syria has been engrossed in a monstrous civil war since 2011, due to a series of failed uprisings by its citizens to overthrow the authoritarian dictatorship of Bashar al-Assad. The terrorist group 'Islamic State' have also conducted attacks on both sides of the Syrian conflict, causing further widespread destruction to homes and people's lives. The extent to which the West, particularly the United States of America has apparently caused such a huge refugee crisis is rather rich; they provided non-lethal aid to select members of the Syrian rebel armies opposing the Assad regime and have also conducted precision air-strikes on ISIS targets in the more deserted regions of the country.

Given these facts, it is hard for me to wish to blame the West for this crisis. The European nations are now accepting these refugees, including the UK government, which will provide its own refugee quota using its foreign aid budget. This is not a black and white issue, people. It will still take quite a long time to completely safeguard all of these refugees, which requires a hell of a lot of logistics, border crossing and cross-nation bilateral agreements within EU member-states. National security advisers of their leaders will be wishing (and I am sure they are right to do so) to check each and every person crossing the borders within Europe to make sure no members of ISIS or other extremely dangerous groups step through to plan their own attacks on cities.

The fact that social media is all of a sudden drowning in sanctimonious tears at the sight of a picture of a drowned boy being carried to shore, appears to display nothing more than a vast ignorance on the part of people living in the West. We seem to have absolutely no clue that beyond our Twitter feeds there is a world in which people are being slaughtered in the droves by sectarian murderers, but because they know nothing of the people that are actually responsible for such tragedy, they only look to their own governments for outcry, shame and condemnation. Instead of blaming the West on our enemies crimes, and wallowing in the grief of a boy that represents what has already been happening for over a decade, let us remind ourselves that we should continue to provide a course of action to solve the root of the problem, not just take in refugees. Let us encourage each other to help the Syrian people wipe out the threat of terrorists, and continue to provide non-lethal aims of stabilizing the Syrian Civial War by any means necessary to prevent further loss of life.

Well put together.