How would your parents describe you? | INFJ Forum

How would your parents describe you?

Sriracha

Not here.
Banned
Jul 14, 2011
MBTI
ISFJ
Take a moment and step into the shoes of your parents. What do they see when they look at you? How would they describe you? (If you like, state their MBTI) List a few postive and negative attributes.

ETA: Do you think this depiction is correct of you? Why or why not?

Last edited:
Stubborn, strong-willed, aloof, intelligent

I think they see someone who is independant

Edit: My mom told me that I wasn't into affection even as a small child. That I would wriggle off her lap and didn't like kisses and hugs like my older sister did. Our family is incredibly close. I would however, say that my mom tends to forget that I'm less of an emotional person than her and I forget that she is more likely to base stuff of her emotions. I think she gets that wrong about me a lot. I also think she is very stubborn in how she sees things and if my opinion differs she just discounts it in some way--not that I feel unvalued but I recognize there is a disconnect. My parents are awesome and I love them a lot. I had a mostly great childhood and can't imagine not being close to all my family members. I have been away for over 10 years now so I think my parent's image of me isn't quite accurate these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sriracha
My (ISFJ) father sees me as humorous, simple, a good mother, a good artist, a bit quirky and not afraid to be myself, someone who puts everyone else before herself and somewhat irresponsible, hard worker.

My (ESTJ) mother (who has passed) back at the time I think saw me in a very negative light (my early 20s.) Moody, forgetful, unthoughtful, airhead, very organized .. all of the positive things were things I would do to make her happy like clean the house.

I think as an introvert my father could understand me (through childhood) more than my mother. My quiet nature and shutting off (spacing out) when there was too much stimuli was seen as though I was an "airhead" by my mother. She never gave me a reason to be confident to be myself in her presence. I felt the only validation I would receive from her was by doing things to please her. I know this was not her intent now. I just make it a point to tell my kids the reasons why I love them so they know I love them for who they are.

I think my father has an more accurate depiction of me, only b/c I have always felt comfortable to be myself around him. I said somewhat irresponsible b/c he has seen all the things I have gone though in 38 years of my life. Often times we have conversations where he thought my mother had discussed with me important life lessons/skills ... only to find out I had to learn the hard way, by making mistakes. I'm the 3rd child ... they assumed I automatically knew how to do certain things, so I received little guidance.

I dont know... my dad doesnt exist and i dont get along that well with my mom. We arent that much close either so i dont think she really knows how i really am

I have the pleasure of being the idealized favorite right now since I moved away and my parents miss me. So they think I hung the moon. My mom thinks I make self-destructive choices in life (and she's right, sadly) when I don't look out for numero uno. But she thinks I'm smart and kind and funny and gifted. She once told my therapist I was her favorite daughter, despite the fact that we did NOT get along when I was an adolescent.

My dad thinks I'm nicer than I am, smarter than I am, and more open than I am. He hates my nose piercing, and that I typically date guys with tattoos. I think if he found out some of the stunts my exes have pulled, he might actually kill them. He's very protective of me, though I'm not sure if it's because he thinks I can't protect myself. Silly parents. I'm glad they don't know I'm not as good as they think I am.

Mum- ESFJ. She passed away when i was 19 so i dont know how she would describe me now. But back then- smart, know it all, rebellious, arguementative, reckless, too quiet, too loud, creative, bad fashion sense, doesnt take enough care of appearance, private, aloof, insolent, secretive, clumsy, warm, affectionate, playful, great cook, druggie, slut (I was not those last two at all!), kind, compassionte, helpful, clean, reliable, responsible, magical, psychic, very strange, stubborn, strong willed, competent, cabable, independant, rude and loving.

Dad- INFP- I think he would say- intelligent, creative, argumentative, loud, rude, principled, idealistic, compassionate, artistic, fixes things, solves problems, emotionally volatile, too angry, reckless, crazy, very sympathetic, responsible, reliable, practical, capabale, independant, psychic, practicing black arts or devil worshiping (I dont!), stubborn, too strong willed, caring, helpful, hard working, affectionate, funny, has everything under control, very strong, intimidating, and goofy.

My parents see what they expect. I dont think they really know me. I dont really feel comfortable with the way they see me but some of it is probably true. Most of it is contradictions. They never encouraged much openess and honesty. I moved out when i was 17 but we did have a close relationship. My dad just prefers to not know a lot of things. I think sometimes they just couldnt understand why i had to be strange and weird all the time. Sometimes they were proud, sometimes they were just mortified.

My mom is an Isfj, and my dad is an Enfp.

My mom thinks I am responsible, but critical, distant and emotionally removed- experiences have forced me to be that way. She also thinks I am artistic and independent.

My dad thinks I am irresponsible, funny, fun to talk to- we are not super close but we have great conversations.

My dad sometimes forces too much responsibility on me- at times when I can't handle it. My mom's forced me into situations where I have had to be responsible and look after the whole family. They divorced a long time ago. I think that they see me in relation to them. I wouldn't say that they are too far from the truth, but that their view is off, simply because they don't get to see the whole picture.

Last edited:
My late mother (INFJ), would probably say: talented, willful/stubborn/difficult, special, funny; she might say I'm a bitch; can't think what else.

My father (ENTP), who I never see, would probably say: smart, unstable/nuts, beautiful, capable, fragile, loving, disloyal; can't think what else.

This is a tough one to answer. My parents never really have gotten to know the real me. My mother thinks she does, but she doesn't. She sees what I want her to see. I had a bad drug problem for the better part of a decade and not one of my family members noticed. I always served as marriage counselor from age of 10 to my mother and was used in both affairs so it got a little messed up during my teen years. We are all better now. I ended up confessing my problems to them in my late twenties because I was in bad place. They were all supportive but still don't know me. My mother is an idealist, my father and sister escapist. They don't deal with life and its probably better that way. Probably doesn't help much, but i have one odd family : )

My mom is hard to type, but she always tells me I am:

kind, a sweetheart, impatient, moody, irritable, intelligent, thoughtful, responsible, capable, independent, organised, probably othe things im not thinking of.... she would probably call me a bitch too, she's done that before. Fairs fair, I can be a bitch.

My dad is too unstable to type....he would pull something out of his ass, he doesn't have a clue who I am.

My mother says I'm blind and walk around with my eyes closed, metaphorically speaking. My father thinks I'm immature, overly emotional and irresponsible. I don't know what to think about their observations to be honest, I'm inclined to believe they're more reflective of who they are, than who I am. Then again, it says something about myself that I selectively remember *these* comments, over others.

I think they love me because I'm their son, but probably don't like me as a person.
If I really thought about how they would describe me, I'd probably just get mad... I try not to think about it/care.

Who cares? Once I left the house, I barely kept contact with them. They can think whatever they want to think of me.

mum would probably define me as smart, talented, capable, caring, creative and loving..dad would probably say intelligent and optimistic but lazy, and to be honest he would be right,although i would try deny that!
moved out of home a while ago though

Quiet. Serious. Responsible. Wanderer.

Intelligent, talented, manipulative, messy, aloof, codependent, wise.

i’m quiet achiever --- for good or bad. sometimes my parents say to me ‘you are our blessing, we must have done something right with you.’ nahhhh, like i said, i’m just quiet. but i do mediate and console a lot in my family. a role i’ve instinctively taken. but my mum thinks i’m too sensitive and that i hide myself from the world. my dad gets it.

"a total failure" and by their standards I am, and THANK science for that!

Excellent question for a thread! And very difficult for me to get into with out getting too emotional, as me and my parents aren't talking well at all at the moment. I can't type people that well at all, so I won't pretend that I know how to.

My dad would probably describe me as: independent, strong, anti-social, emotionally touchy, depressive and obsessive

My mom would probably describe me as the above things as well as "that boy of mine that doesn't love me"

I think my mom understands me pretty well.

We're a lot alike. She's probably INFJ.

She would say she's proud of me for the most part, but that I'm a little too whiny and sensitive, and a little stubborn at times.

She would say that I've gone off the deep end about Jesus though, and is probably disappointed that I'm not as concerned about politics as she is.

I don't know what my dad thinks of me.

He's most likely ISFJ or ISTJ.

He probably thinks I'm weird, that I don't make any sense, that I'm too impractical and irresponsible. Maybe that I'm selfish.

I guess he would say that I'm a "good person" over all. But I'm pretty sure he also thinks I've gone off the deep end about Jesus.