How would you teach love? | INFJ Forum

How would you teach love?

just me

Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
infj
How would you teach love? Just curious...

I think it's like language, if you're exposed to it early on in life, you just understand it. I think it's very natural for us.

i guess that my question would have been: How do you learn love?

Bickelz makes a good point, though.

You can learn love the same way others learned to be selfish: exposure.

How do you share your wisdom and insights on love with those that follow behind you in life? Any better of a question? I know I am short on explanation.

I have always learned things like this by having them totally deconstructed so I could get past the baggage the word/concept carried. Once reconstructed it had entirely new meaning for me.

How do you share your wisdom and insights on love with those that follow behind you in life? Any better of a question? I know I am short on explanation.
Yes, but one can teach much better when they understand the learning process, hence my question. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, but one can teach much better when they understand the learning process, hence my question. ;)

Maybe the learning of or understanding of love could pose an entirely different question rather than sharing it or leaving it behind for other generations behind us.

I'm not sure love can be taught. Ways of expressing it can be. But the actual feeling, I don't think so.

Lead by example.

Yep. I'm afraid I think this is really the only way. I may be unnecessarily limiting myself, but I think that language and words are only effective to the degree they have a context to be understood within. That context is understood through experience of love. If one has only had limited experience of love, they have limited context within which to understand talk of love. Better to increase the context for understanding by actually loving, than by wasting words where there may not be the capacity to understand.

It is frustrating to think that there is nothing broader scale that can be done or that the inevitable impurities in our example of love dilute our message.

I think that as individuals our impact within the world is primarily with those we have direct connection with. Yet there is a paying forward effect as those we interact with then go out and interact with others. To that end, living love in our smaller circles can have potentially limitless impact within the world.

To teach love, we must first understand love. Then we must live that love and trust that it will find it's way into the world. If we love, those we love have love to share with others.

Reactions: Kgal and kammy
I do agree with the example as being the best possible teacher. I often question in my mind the Bible and other religious texts as being a way to share or help to teach love for those in the generations following the present that had the heart to share their insights or events of another's life and their example of living love.

I think this song basically sums it up for me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DbvSq3kDvM"]YouTube - Natalie Cole - All About Love - http://www.Chaylz.com[/ame]

I had a friend once who taught kids about love from growing a little garden together. It seemed to work...she helped lots of kids.

If you're talking about to Adults - then I have these thoughts...

In my experience with a particular type of group event I would say all of us were taught how to love.

Somehow in the process of telling of the dark side of ourselves to all in the group(was a large group of about 80 people) we began to tear down our walls around our hearts. We ended up telling those things about ourselves we were ashamed to say to any and everybody there. They also took us through a process of how to hug and then we were encouraged to hug in this manner. Face to face - body to body - brings people into each others heart sphere and this has a power all of it's own.

By all of us sharing and accepting each other - dark side and all - we found love during that time. I would say that was a true kind of love.

So teaching someone to love would begin with asking them to talk about their dark sides and then reciprocating. There is something almost magical about what happens then. There is usually an out pouring of emotions that were hidden and pent up. Then the heart is freed. Love happens naturally.

I had a friend once who taught kids about love from growing a little garden together. It seemed to work...she helped lots of kids.

This is excellent!

I believe we are all born with the ability to love. We as children just need it to be nurtured, shown for what it is, encouraged for what it does.

I'm not sure love can be taught. Ways of expressing it can be. But the actual feeling, I don't think so

right i mean how would one even go about describing love in the first place. i mean not the external actions associated with it, but i mean the feeling. it just is, beyond words and "teaching" or "learning." you can teach someone how to pretend they are loving, or appreciative, or wtv other bs you want them to be, but its just an act like anything else. love is not a description or a behavior, nor an emotion, it just is and its something inherent in every human even if we dont feel it all the time.

I think that love requires a certain amount to already exist in the lover. Love can be heightened, but not created anew.
As for learning I think it's about making an effort to magnify the postives and minimize the negatives, to skew one's perception just enough to make it the truth. It's great.

Have the subject deprogram anything that stopped them in the first place, then work from there. Love comes through emotional connection which a lot of people are frightened of.

Begin by teaching hate and violence.
Immerse them in a world of cruelty.
Of sharp pain and rage.
Hide the beauty in the world.
Conceal it with vicious words.

Then suddenly.
Drop away fom them.
Remove the disgust and abuse.

And see if love springs to fill their new emptyness.

Allow an environment where it can flourish. People are social animals who have evolved to cooperate. Allow a cooperative environment instead of an environment of manufactured competition.