How to spin this? | INFJ Forum

How to spin this?

Lerxst

Jul 3, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
So how do I spin the fact that I spent the last 7 years of my career working in the non-profit world? Non-profit work says something about a person, especially if they move to a different state to work in that field, so it's not like I can say "it was the only thing available".

Non-profits are also getting absolutely crushed by the economy, since they're the last to get those pennies that trickle-down. I have over 175 applications submitted to non-profits and 100 submitted to for-profits over the past year alone.

The non-profit jobs must have over 100 applications per posting, but the for-profit jobs are a bit less competitive in that aspect. The question will always come up though, "So why do you want to shift back?" when/if I even get an interview with one of them. There's no honest and positive answer I can give to that!

There are only a handful of companies, in my experience, that have any moral fiber left anymore, which is the reason I left that world to begin with! I just can't get excited about coming up with excuses for moving back into the world, but I know it's looking like I have to... :(

The non-profit jobs must have over 100 applications per posting, but the for-profit jobs are a bit less competitive in that aspect. The question will always come up though, "So why do you want to shift back?" when/if I even get an interview with one of them. There's no honest and positive answer I can give to that!

There's your answer. When they ask, (and only if they ask,) tell them that you have to work and there are no jobs left in non profits. Altruism is nothing to be ashamed of. Not all non profit jobs do good in the world and not all for profit jobs are greed based. You'll find the right thing. Good luck to you.

I agree with [MENTION=5084]Craig Weiler[/MENTION] ....There is nothing wrong with stating the non profits are getting hammered out there in the us. Times are tough really for everybody on both sides of that fence.

I think a real issue for you is the fact you are hating - with every fiber of your being - the idea of going with a 'for profit' job in a mindless don't give a shit corporation. It's making you nervous - making you ill - just at the thought of being across the desk from an interviewer. I cannot believe they'd place that much emphasis on whether you worked for a non profit vs. a for profit. It's really all about what you did - can you do it for them - and with a smile on your attitude. You have - you can - and you will. I feel in my bones that this is one of those times you're gonna have to fake it - to make it. I know...I know...it sucks. But you know these current times won't last forever. Something's gotta give...

Hang in there.

I'm in the process of getting everything I own ready for sale. Most of my pets have either died or been euthanized by myself. This is the hardest time I've ever had in my life and I know you're going through the same stuff. Even [MENTION=95]efromm[/MENTION] had to sell his classic - restored lovingly by him - awesome car....along with almost every possession he owned. He had to leave the home state he loved. But he's making it!

You're gonna make it.
I'm gonna make it.

:high5:

Reactions: Craig Weiler
The one time I really got a clear message from the interviewer (over the phone) was for an Assistant District Manager job for some hotel chain. Everything about that interview was just him grilling me about why I would even want to consider the change.

I don't recall how I worded it exactly, but it was along the lines of non-profits having a hard time with funding these days. Still, the response was "So, you don't really want to work for us then, do you?" No, I'm serious. That was what he actually said.

As if I dreamed my whole life about being a freakin' front desk clerk at some cheap-ass hotel chain?? It's like he saw the knife and just wanted to twist it a little harder.

Makes me wonder how many others out there think that same thing but don't outright say it. Suppose it could be worse... I could have worked for the ALF-CIO in the past!!

I don't recall how I worded it exactly, but it was along the lines of non-profits having a hard time with funding these days. Still, the response was "So, you don't really want to work for us then, do you?" No, I'm serious. That was what he actually said.

As if I dreamed my whole life about being a freakin' front desk clerk at some cheap-ass hotel chain??

I get the feeling that job interviewers will use just about anything to try to disqualify applicants.

Altruism/working for non-profits is something to be proud of and it is a huge asset!

Working for non-profits for 7 years is a great thing, and you could mention (quite truthfully) that you enjoy helping others, organizing, planning and leading groups, and just as you brought those skills to bear in the non-profit industry, you could also transfer those skills and enthusiasm to the (fill in the blank) industry. 100% true.

That way your answer focuses on your transferable skills and your value to your new employer. Focus on what

Reactions: Kgal
Tell them that you'd like to make some money for a change.

Tell them that you'd like to make some money for a change.

Ha! Done that... to that guy during that interview in fact... after his question to me. The only appeal any of those industries have at this point is the ability to make money.

Do research. Apply for for-profit jobs that you have an interest in. Maybe one that does a lot of charity or partnering with non-profits. Talk about how ethical you find them. Let them know that it is important to you to work for a company that is socially and environmentally responsible etc.
There are decent companies out there.

Or just do research on how successful they are and talk about that and spin it by saying you have worked mon-profit and are interested in gaining experience in for-profits. That's technically true. They'll see you as well-informed and competitive. It seems to me places are eager to hire people they believe will invest themselves in the company instead of just work a job. Never apply to a company that you aren't interested in working for because they will see your apprehension and it is a waste of time for both of you. Good luck.

Ha! Done that... to that guy during that interview in fact... after his question to me. The only appeal any of those industries have at this point is the ability to make money.

Honestly, I think this is the best approach. If a hiring manager sees that you've been working in the non-profit sector for several years then that person is going to get a sense that you're not leaving it by choice due the poor economy. So you may as well be honest and say something like, "my skills are transferable and the higher pay is a huge draw for me. Plus your company vision matches my values blah blah etc (pleasant statements the hiring manager would want to hear)."

Plus who knows, you may be able to start some kind of charitable initiative within the company itself as there are no shortage of companies with PR problems nowadays due to a greedy/unethical/etc image and would likely be interested in changing that view.

I should start all my sentences with the phrase "not to be mean...but".

It sounds like you are kinda jaded anyway. I would think that at least some hiring moron out there is capable of picking up that vibe from you. Perhaps you should work on your attitude and you will find that your more open spirit will guide you to a job that will make you money and satisfy your emotional needs. Being out of work and stressing about money will always wear on you. I wish you well.

No, Lerxst doesn't sound jaded. Most jobs aren't exactly ground shattering/extremely exciting. I'd guess that 90% of jobs out there suck and are likely soul-crushing.

The truth hurts sometimes. :\

No, Lerxst doesn't sound jaded. Most jobs aren't exactly ground shattering/extremely exciting. I'd guess that 90% of jobs out there suck and are likely soul-crushing.

The truth hurts sometimes. :\

Well, work is something they have to PAY you to do, so as a general rule, it requires effort. I just know that [MENTION=2890]Lerxst[/MENTION] has posted before regarding his job search and his general dissatisfaction with life in Utah (who can blame him). I was pointing out that one of the things he may not be taking into account is his attitude.

Well, work is something they have to PAY you to do, so as a general rule, it requires effort. I just know that @Lerxst has posted before regarding his job search and his general dissatisfaction with life in Utah (who can blame him). I was pointing out that one of the things he may not be taking into account is his attitude.

Aside from living in Utah (which probably does suck to be honest), what's wrong with his attitude?

Hell, if the coal mine up the road decided to hire, I'd be one of the first in line! Explain that one though. Why would a college graduate who worked in non-profits for the past 7 years really want to work in a coal mine? There's no sugar-coating that one. The job sucks, they know it sucks and they know no one would be excited about it.

No, the coal mine isn't hiring... but I have applied to trucking companies, a prison system contractor, a few local "mom & pop" type of shops and hospitality jobs. None of them are exactly "career" moves though and there's no hiding that. Just one look at my resume without so much as meeting me must make them think, "But why??"

I know I would be skeptical of hiring a person like me...

I hear you guy. It is just that you used to be so "golly gee whiz" like and I sense unhappiness and frustration from you now. I hope you find a job you can tolerate. All my best birdbrain.