how to get a good night's sleep | INFJ Forum

how to get a good night's sleep

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
How do you help yourself get a good night's sleep? Are there routines or tricks you use to make yourself ready to sleep?

So, like many of you, sometimes it's tough to get a good night's sleep. My mind is so active that it's tough to calm down. My system is in go or give mode, that it makes my eyes stay alert when I want to sleep but my head resistant and my body awake, waiting for that sleepy feeling.

sleep-deprivation.png

Last edited:
for me, i'm often on the computer before bed. I've found that installing flux helps my eyes not strain as much, which i think helps my quality of life for around bedtime a lot.

As far as not having your mind spin....IDK...sometimes i try meditative style breathing (focus on measured breathing and/or one idea and nothing else) for a few minutes, but that doesn't always help. I also have found that showering close to bedtime helps me be much more calm and relaxed prior to sleep.

(that being said, i'm a generally pretty calm person all around. Not the best sleeper though.)

I try and read before bed. Being in front of a screen (computer, TV, phone) suppresses melatonin production, which causes sleeplessness. So if you work up until you go to bed, or watch TV before bed, you'll likely feel tired, but won't be able to go to sleep right away because of it.

You might want to try laying down in bed and doing breathing/meditation practices. I use to find that helped to just calm me, and relax me.

I like to listen to music or nature sounds (songza.com) while I read, and I typically just drift off. I also daydream a lot before bed- so I go into my own little world and just relax.

Also, limiting caffeine after 6 has helped me! And I don't eat late.

I also found having a routine for bed helped me get into the mind set that I'm winding down and getting ready to sleep.

Reactions: Gaze
I think winding down is good. I'm also on the computer and watching tv at night. My mind needs sound to fall asleep. I watch tv before bed because complete quiet drives me crazy. The light from the screen of course keeps me awake. I do have a bad habit of being too plugged in during the day to computer or tv so, my mind doesn't really get a break from being wired. I also get anxious thinking about the issues of the week, etc. I tried last night to put stuff from the week out of my mind and convinced myself to be ok with rest. I have to literally tell myself I need to simply focus on myself and enjoy getting some sleep without thinking about whatever else I need to get done.

Whatever you're doing, stop doing it earlier. Don't be as mentally active. This means stop having shit to think about. Stop with the tv, the computer, don't even read. Turn lights off. If the sun isn't up then you shouldn't be having any of this.

That's if you want to sleep 'properly'. Or you can be like me and not give a shit and just sleep when you sleep.

I find that when you can't get to sleep the worst thing is that awareness of sleeplessness. I create stories in my mind or have fictional characters interact and find that this distracts me enough to fall asleep.

I find that when you can't get to sleep the worst thing is that awareness of sleeplessness. I create stories in my mind or have fictional characters interact and find that this distracts me enough to fall asleep.

I do this too..I'm a sexy badass vampire killer in a lot of them....or sometimes a super sexy smart genius that solve world problems....really, it's just me thinking about a wealth of sexy men fawning over me....it works though!

It's funny you mention stories. Sometimes, I do make up or imagine some fantasy story in my mind before going to bed, and sometimes it distracts me enough to help me get into a better mood and cozy feeling which helps me relax enough to fall asleep. It's calming to let your mind rest on imagination. Sometimes, I get a better sleep in the afternoon on weekends than I do at night. I think my mind is too wired at night. Sometimes, my mind is so stimulated that I get more work done at night than during the day, ironically. I think it's because the night is quiet and no is around to distract me. I can't focus when too much activity is going on around me.

It's funny you mention stories. Sometimes, I do make up or imagine some fantasy story in my mind before going to bed, and sometimes it distracts me enough to help me get into a better mood and cozy feeling which helps me relax enough to fall asleep. It's calming to let your mind rest on imagination. Sometimes, I get a better sleep in the afternoon on weekends than I do at night. I think my mind is too wired at night. Sometimes, my mind is so stimulated that I get more work done at night than during the day, ironically. I think it's because the night is quiet and no is around to distract me. I can't focus when too much activity is going on around me.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I find I work better at night as well. Ideally, I would stay up till two or three am, but I need a good 6-7 hours sleep.

When nights are really bad, I use a herbal spray called Rescue Remedy. It's primarily used for anxiety attacks so when you're starting to panic about how work is in four hours it helps soothe the mind and allows you to drift off.

I should stop getting on the internet before bed because it makes my mind that much more active as well. The light from screen doesn't help much either. Reading usually works best for me, as it's either lay awake contemplating different things or focus my attention on a book until I start to nod off. Reading a book under low light tires my eyes out and makes me sleepy, but if it is a good story it might stimulate me so I still have to be cautious.

I too have a very active mind at night and I could be physically exhausted, but still not be able to fall right asleep.

Doctor Discovered a Method To Fall Asleep In 60 Seconds!
bodymindsoulspirit | September 13, 2017

via HealthyFoodHouse,

Insomnia is a very frequent sleeping disorder many people are suffering from. Difficulties sleeping, waking up in the middle of the night and being unable to fall asleep again, all of this can be very stressful and can have numerous negative effects on our overall health. People who face these problems have tried a number of methods and different techniques which often have unsatisfactory results, but luckily for you we have a solution for all your troubles. If you’re suffering from insomnia this article will change your life.

Dr. Andrew Weil has discovered a revolutionary method to train your brain to fall asleep in just 60 seconds. He was inspired by yoga and the powerful breathing practices this discipline offers and devised a breathing exercise called “The 4-7-8 Breathing Exercise” which can help you fall asleep in a matter of seconds.

It’s very simple and easy and is guaranteed to give you results and make you fall asleep in less than a minute. What’s best you don’t need any equipment, just follow his directions and your sleeping problems will become a thing from the past.

Here’s what you should do:

• Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
  • Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose, counting to 4.
  • Hold your breath for 7 seconds.
  • Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound, counting to 8.
  • This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
Dr. Weil advises us that the most important thing is to focus on breathing properly and exhale and inhale deeply. This will have a positive effect on your brain, it will relax your mind and lower the heart rate.

Maybe you think it sounds too good to be true but give it a try and you’ll see how effective it is. You’ll be amazed by the results. Don’t forget to share it with your loved ones and help them sleep better as well!

http://www.bodymindsoulspirit.com/fall-asleep-in-60-seconds/

Do I suffer from insomnia? I never considered that seriously before.

I tried this article yesterday. I felt more recharged after 5h of sleep waking up this morning than after my regular 9h of turning and rolling in bed like a sausage in a fry pan. :sleeping:

I deserve an extra cup of coffee today. ;)

@ImaginaryBloke

You know what's funny? I have anxiety about breathing when I'm trying to go to sleep. I can't fall asleep if I'm aware of my breathing lol. I feel like I'll forget to breathe and die or something. Once I start thinking about breathing it is hard to go back to subconscious breathing. I just end up holding my breath when I try to let go of active breathing, unless I can somehow get distracted and forget about it.

Doctor Discovered a Method To Fall Asleep In 60 Seconds!
bodymindsoulspirit | September 13, 2017

via HealthyFoodHouse,

Insomnia is a very frequent sleeping disorder many people are suffering from. Difficulties sleeping, waking up in the middle of the night and being unable to fall asleep again, all of this can be very stressful and can have numerous negative effects on our overall health. People who face these problems have tried a number of methods and different techniques which often have unsatisfactory results, but luckily for you we have a solution for all your troubles. If you’re suffering from insomnia this article will change your life.

Dr. Andrew Weil has discovered a revolutionary method to train your brain to fall asleep in just 60 seconds. He was inspired by yoga and the powerful breathing practices this discipline offers and devised a breathing exercise called “The 4-7-8 Breathing Exercise” which can help you fall asleep in a matter of seconds.

It’s very simple and easy and is guaranteed to give you results and make you fall asleep in less than a minute. What’s best you don’t need any equipment, just follow his directions and your sleeping problems will become a thing from the past.

Here’s what you should do:

• Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
  • Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose, counting to 4.
  • Hold your breath for 7 seconds.
  • Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound, counting to 8.
  • This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
Dr. Weil advises us that the most important thing is to focus on breathing properly and exhale and inhale deeply. This will have a positive effect on your brain, it will relax your mind and lower the heart rate.

Maybe you think it sounds too good to be true but give it a try and you’ll see how effective it is. You’ll be amazed by the results. Don’t forget to share it with your loved ones and help them sleep better as well!

http://www.bodymindsoulspirit.com/fall-asleep-in-60-seconds/

Do I suffer from insomnia? I never considered that seriously before.

I tried this article yesterday. I felt more recharged after 5h of sleep waking up this morning than after my regular 9h of turning and rolling in bed like a sausage in a fry pan. :sleeping:

I deserve an extra cup of coffee today. ;)

Yeah, have fun doing that when you've got asthma! Maybe once I'm doing a bit more sport again.

I only have trouble with sleep if my sleeping cycle is off, like it's been for me for about a year. I go to bed between the hours of 12 and 2. Though I do fall asleep rather easily, mostly from the sheer exhaustion of having done nothing useful at all, once I've listened to a comedy podcast in the dark. But my problem is that if I sleep on my back, I get nightmares, and only then (at least when I wake up after I'm lying on my back). Well, that is if I wasn't traumatised by a movie I watched and/or don't have paranoid-afraid-of-the-beast-in-the-dark-anxiety attacks. Then it takes a while.

for me, i'm often on the computer before bed. I've found that installing flux helps my eyes not strain as much, which i think helps my quality of life for around bedtime a lot.

I'm trying that out.

Reactions: ImaginaryBloke