How to create opportunities. | INFJ Forum

How to create opportunities.

T

The Jester

Hi,

Lately, I've been reading a bit up on how successful people maximalized their opportunities,
because don't we all love to look for patterns?

Now my question to you good people is, how do you create opportunities?

I'm probably going to receive my first master's degree next year, and I know what way I'd like to go,
but the domain I'm interested in is Law, and thus has a nice structured hierarchy.
I'm busy with brushing up my languages and knowledge, but the only networks I have are quite vague.

So, to be more specific:

- How do you create opportunities (as in, nice job offers) when there's a hierarchy?
- How do you network? (In general)
- How do you convince employers to take you when you have no experience?
(Yeah, I have experience with shitty catering jobs, but since anyone who has half a brain and no lust for life can do that, it's not really that convincing. :p )

I have my ideas, but I'd like to hear from you guys what you think.

Good question.

What has worked for me is to never say no to an opportunity to go out. Especially if you have friends that know people.

Also I go to job-related conventions and I get involved in helping out for events, even for things I am not interested in.

Simple kill someone and offer yourself as a replacement... or if you are against the whole murder thing, find a job send in 100 different applications, so that when the job interviews come around. You are the only one to turn up!

~ opportunity!

Ask your parents if they have any rich or well-connected cousins that you may not know about.

I was just thinking about this today because I've have a few serious let-downs and thought my world was over for a week or so.
As it happens, it's not.. and I'm starting to think there is some divine plan.. OR I've just really been honing my positive thinking and risk taking skills and basically making good things happen for myself as a result..

It is absolutely crucial that you think and act positively. If you think positively, you're more receptive to seeing opportunities--and then taking the risk to pursue them.
It's cheesy, but it works--put goodness out and you receive it back.
Step out of your comfort zone, make an effort to meet and make friendships with new people, and focus on being optimistic.

If you want to gain experience, intern or volunteer in whatever field you are in. You'll meet people and gain experience and credibility.
The only way it seems to create or develop a job offer when you are already in a hierarchy, is to work your way into it. That is what I am trying to do right now..
I'm fortunate to work for an organization that encourages people to volunteer to get involved in various projects in other departments (they are also really keen on hiring from within)
You'll have to prove yourself in the hierarchy, if that is what you really want. I know through a friend who is in the same business as me that the person in the position I would like to someday obtain is looking for another job (they applied at his agency) so I have that in the back of my mind and I'm working towards proving I can do that position through these various projects (plus I just enjoy doing them!)
You can't be cut-throat about it. When an opportunity opens up, go for it.. Do things the right way and if you are passed over for it, just know that somewhere out there--there's another opportunity for you. You'll just have to pick yourself up and find it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
@Capt: :m179:
[MENTION=731]UBERROGO[/MENTION] and [MENTION=564]acd[/MENTION] that advice is quite good, in my opinion. Thanks.
[MENTION=5090]Apone[/MENTION]: my pride would never allow me to do that. :(

Step out of your comfort zone, make an effort to meet and make friendships with new people, and focus on being optimistic.
I wish I was good at that but a careercoach told me some months ago that networking really is the key to create new opportunities. I just... I don't like meeting people I don't know, because most of them are so different than I am.
Definitely not all of them but especially in the corporate world...it feels all so fake to me somehow. I just want to be myself...I wish I could make friends more easily.

I wish I was good at that but a careercoach told me some months ago that networking really is the key to create new opportunities. I just... I don't like meeting people I don't know, because most of them are so different than I am.
Definitely not all of them but especially in the corporate world...it feels all so fake to me somehow. I just want to be myself...I wish I could make friends more easily.

that's something i've been learning in life recently. In high school I reeaaally did not want to talk with people unless i really wanted to have a relationship with that person. Talking for the sake of meeting people, and learning about them and what they do, i wouldn't bother.

Since then, thanks to my parents, personality change, etc. i've learned to do it a lot more. Shyness and/or social laziness is really something you can and have to just get over at some point. sure, there are still times I really don't want to meet someone, but you just balls up (excuse the expression) swallow your "selfishness" and uncomfort, and do it.

Overall I think it leads to a much better quality of life, both professionally and personally. Difference is the spice of life, as cliche as it is.

I think you're not giving people enough credit. Sure, some of the corporate world is shallow, but it's not all like that. Take the opportunity to learn about the person in addition to the position.

It's never easy when you don't do it or don't want to - you just have to do it.

Then do it again the next time you don't want to. That's the only way it gets easier and more enjoyable. Got to just do it. Ain't gonna get better any other way.

And, excuse me if this sounds too harsh, but it's naive to think opportunities will fall into your lap without networking and effort on your part. That's rare. You have to go out and seek opportunities - chase them, uncomfort or no.

I'm quiet and shy myself and didn't see the point in getting to know people, until I realized all the good jobs I've ever had were through people I knew, and all the crap ones were walk in applications.

That might not be a complete rule but it definitely seems to be a trend.