[INFJ] - How should I study? study techniques please? | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] How should I study? study techniques please?

SarahBS

Permanent Fixture
Apr 10, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
I'm working on this Master Program and here in Iran you have to study for the entrance exam.
The major is "Teaching".

Now my bachelor was physics, I used to study for that kinda materials, formulas and all. Now teaching is all about theories and stuff and there are a lot of stuff I need to remember.

I searched a little about study techniques but I also wanna ask you how YOU study as an INFJ?

There are some options here:
1. writing notes : well, there are 2 things about this. a: I tend to write everything! (cuz I don't remember much when I reread them to review! plus it takes a lot of time) b:I'm visual and my mind gets used to seeing the book, so when I'm writing the notes I need some more time to get used to my notes and I may confused the two!

2.Highlight: I wanna highlight the books and phrases but I don't want my book to be highlighted! (it's a kinda obsession I guess - Should I stop that?)

I'd b glad if you share how you study for such a material that you only need to remember.
The question here is : How do you summarize things and does it take a long time?
meanwhile I google about it as well :)
Here's a link to go through: http://basicallybeyondbasic.com/2014/10/22/5-tips-on-how-to-study-smarter-for-infjs/

Thanks my dear friends <3 :hug:

Last edited:
Reactions: hush
When I study I need silence and I have to be alone. I take notes while the techer explains everything, I'm also visual. Then I read everything on the book, summarize it and make diagrams. Make an "exam" out of questions that you think that are going to ask and correct it. When I know where I lack I will study more that part.

P.C. [MENTION=13542]SarahBS[/MENTION] you can highlight your notes instead :)

I either remember everything,
Make a step by step manual / guide,
or write things down in an oversimplified manner that one would use to explain something to someone too young to understand in addition to being the most retarded person on earth.

I also make an over simplified drawing if there is a point to doing so.

Unfortunately I never really studied linguistic theories. So I cannot really give you a how to on that other then keeping it over simplified.
And I usually understand it once I've seen and done it. I liked physics though, the way you would write down your calculations of forces there was like a step by step manual.

Thanks guys,
I gathered just highlighting the important stuff in the book is the best method for me . Different subjects with different colors though ^^

My husband has a Master's in physics. He took copious tidy, neat notes and made outlines to work from. He is a hater of highlighter as well and says it is pointless (I agree). When he took his qualifying exams for his PhD program I think he used outlines a lot too. I favor flashcards for any type of test myself, but I have no idea how well this approach conforms to what you are doing, and a lot of people say they are pointless as well.

Study as though you are going to have to teach the material you are covering. (And I literally mean as though you would have to get up and present a lecture on each part of the content you are covering).

It seemed to me, when I was studying, that one tends to learn, remember, and synthesise what it takes for one to understand; however, doing this with a view to conveying the material to others seems to make it far easier to produce assessable material later on, because you are not trying to re-extract your abstract understanding into a presentable form. The notes necessary for this can also be very brief: almost like a presentation palm-card. Different levels of study take on a different scope.

At bachelor level, the type of presentation one has in mind when studying is topical; at masters level, it is more like presenting a subject in its entirety across a longer-course; at doctorate level it is more critical of the broader subject matter itself, with new synthesis and original research.

Reactions: drummergirlbk
Memorization study: when you have all the answers and you just need to memorize them
-I'll record myself verbally saying the question and answer once, and depending on how stressed I am about the exam I'll either play it back to myself twice a day and right before the exam or just right before.

In cases where I am unsure of the answer and need to know every aspect of what it could be, I tie it all to an instance that has happened to me in real life. Giving myself a backstory I am familiar with while inducing textbook knowledge helps me memorize the teachings.

Best Study Technique is ... relax and study.

Don't try to study, just read and enjoy. I promise you this way it will look far less stressful than what people tend to make it look like, on top of that it would make tests a bit more relaxing than usual.

That of course requires a bit of interest on the subject on your part, and a bit of fact scouting (looking for the important 33% - 45% of text that is actually the information you need).

I'd recommend finding a location and/or technique that enables you to focus for extended periods of time. For instance, in college I would always slack off if I didn't print out my note cards and physically study them in a public area. There was something about walking back and forth down a quiet hallway which always allowed me to concentrate on memorizing whatever study guide was in my hands.

Key points:
  • Get away from your phone/computer
  • Re-write your study material in your own words
  • Find an atmosphere that's conducive to studying
  • And try and find a way to enjoy the process

Reactions: SarahBS