How Ni Dominants use Ne | INFJ Forum

How Ni Dominants use Ne

VH

Variable Hybrid
Feb 12, 2009
MBTI
NFJedi
I was talking to DevilDoll on facebook just now (we're RL friends), and what we were talking about gave me a really neat mental image I thought I'd share. (For once I'm not going to delete this personaliztion that my inferior Se makes me type before I get to the meat of things...)

Ni seeks the answer.

However, when Ni gets stuck, we switch to Ne which looks for possibilities (as it is our dominant shadow function).

I think this is the mental equivalent of getting a car stuck in the mud. When Ni doesn't work, we switch into Ne and spin the tires to try to get enough traction to get back to our Ni. In other words, we start spinning through possibilities to find a new track that our Ni can run on, because our current set doesn't include a solution that we can see.

Since we're not especially good at Ne, however, we can get more stuck because we don't know when to quit, just like how a tire can end up even deeper in the mud if you keep spinning it. This is how we can start running down tangents like "maybe I'm this other type, or how about this one, or I could be one of these..." When we let our Ne go too far, we lose sight of our ability to use Ni.

In these instances, it is so important for us to take a break from it and get as much distance as our Ni needs to come up with the answer, which will just hit us out of the blue. In the analogy, we need to let the mud dry until the car has traction.

Reactions: IndigoSensor
When we let our Ne go too far, we lose sight of our ability to use Ni.

In these instances, it is so important for us to take a break from it and get as much distance as our Ni needs to come up with the answer, which will just hit us out of the blue.

Yes indeed! So true, so true.

Ha!, very well explained Von Hase, I find myself in this situation quite often in which I would start getting carried away with my Ne in place of my Ni and well afterwards I need to stop and isolate mself so I can think more clearly.

Ni seeks the answer.

However, when Ni gets stuck, we switch to Ne which looks for possibilities (as it is our dominant shadow function).

I think this is the mental equivalent of getting a car stuck in the mud. When Ni doesn't work, we switch into Ne and spin the tires to try to get enough traction to get back to our Ni. In other words, we start spinning through possibilities to find a new track that our Ni can run on, because our current set doesn't include a solution that we can see.

Since we're not especially good at Ne, however, we can get more stuck because we don't know when to quit, just like how a tire can end up even deeper in the mud if you keep spinning it. This is how we can start running down tangents like "maybe I'm this other type, or how about this one, or I could be one of these..." When we let our Ne go too far, we lose sight of our ability to use Ni.

In these instances, it is so important for us to take a break from it and get as much distance as our Ni needs to come up with the answer, which will just hit us out of the blue. In the analogy, we need to let the mud dry until the car has traction.

that feels very true to me

What happens if the mud dries and encases the wheels?

Just my Ne asking "what if?" :m083:

I've read that INFJs like to use Fe to sort out their thoughts by "talking" them out. This could be a possible solution to the "getting stuck" VH refered to. This all in theory of course. :)

This is sound reasoning VH. Is it yours entirely? Yes, I have found this to be true for me also. I make a conscious effort now in this type of scenerio to limit the possibilites that I will explore. Otherwise, you are right, we will just keep spinning the wheels. If my Ni is stuck, I will roam the endless coridors for a time, but will narrow it down to a very small number of alternatives fairly quickly now. Not so in the past.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Sounds logical. This use of Ne though does make itself useful though, particularly when problem solving.

Since an INFJ can link their Ni with Ti, and in addition flip their Ni into Ne - they can, to a lesser extent, problem solve like an NTP. In other words, look for the weaknesses in the problem and failing that pull the levers that appear to do stuff (to put it abstractly) while using the process of deduction to determine its functions -- with the hopes that Ni will kick back in to provide a more linear understanding of the problem.

In addition my Ne can inhibit me from action the same way it might cause a fear reaction in an NP type. One can percieve all the ways that something could go wrong (even the improbable ones), and seeing the all these tangents, with the inability to properly prioritize them (something thats often best accomplished by the extraverted judging functions) -- linear Ni is prevented from charting the course.

Just some random half-baked thoughts I whipped up.

Last edited:
This is sound reasoning VH. Is it yours entirely? Yes, I have found this to be true for me also. I make a conscious effort now in this type of scenerio to limit the possibilites that I will explore. Otherwise, you are right, we will just keep spinning the wheels. If my Ni is stuck, I will roam the endless coridors for a time, but will narrow it down to a very small number of alternatives fairly quickly now. Not so in the past.

Yeah, I came up with this today.

Also, I have that exact same mirror.

Yeah, I came up with this today.

Also, I have that exact same mirror.

Really, should we post this on the "Syncronicitys" thread? LOL. I love that mirror--had it for about 13 years from Value City!

I've read that INFJs like to use Fe to sort out their thoughts by "talking" them out. This could be a possible solution to the "getting stuck" VH refered to. This all in theory of course. :)

Yes, that tends to help in my experience. It makes a lot of sense since it is our secondary function, rather than a shadow function. When I have someone to talk it out with, it's like having someone to help shove a board under the tire. Good points there Travo. (Also, glad you've decided you're on the INFJ side.)

Really, should we post this on the "Syncronicitys" thread? LOL. I love that mirror--had it for about 13 years from Value City!

I got mine in 1996. My neighbors had left it on the curb because when they got it home, they found it didn't match their decor. I cleaned it up and have had it on my wall ever since.

Reactions: Questingpoet
Since an INFJ can link their Ni with Ti, and in addition flip their Ni into Ne - they can, to a lesser extent, problem solve like an NTP. In other words, look for the weaknesses in the problem and failing that pull the levers that appear to do stuff (to put it abstractly) while using the process of deduction to determine its functions -- with the hopes that Ni will kick back in to provide a more linear understanding of the problem.

Where do you get this info about the linking of preferences: Ni linked to Ti flips to Ne. I have never come across that info

(maybe something for an other tread or pm)

Well, i'm just taking the fact that INFJs who are in hyper introvert mode tend to reach for their tertiary (Ni+Ti) without consulting their Fe much. I'm seeing if I can somehow fit it in with the phenomenon of Ni 'flipping' over to Ne. Both conclusions have not been drawn together on any internet document that i'm aware of, but the conclusions have been reached individually. I'm just seeing if they are connected somehow.

Well, i'm just taking the fact that INFJs who are in hyper introvert mode tend to reach for their tertiary (Ni+Ti) without consulting their Fe much. I'm seeing if I can somehow fit it in with the phenomenon of Ni 'flipping' over to Ne. Both conclusions have not been drawn together on any internet document that i'm aware of, but the conclusions have been reached individually. I'm just seeing if they are connected somehow.

I've seen the Ni + Ti effect in myself.

From what I can tell any type when hyper introverted will lean on their introverted functions, and the same is true when they hyper extrovert. For INFJs that's Ni + Ti, or Fe + Se.

I really don't think we do a good job pretending to be NTPs though. When I'm deep in Ti mode, I'm usually pairing it with Ni, and Ne is next to impossible to invoke. It's like a non-argumentative version of an INTP. There are a LOT of differences. It looks just as 'nerdy', but much more focused on the deductions rather than the inductions. We're trying to get the answers, not the possibilities.

But that's just me.

I really don't think we do a good job pretending to be NTPs though. When I'm deep in Ti mode, I'm usually pairing it with Ni, and Ne is next to impossible to invoke. It's like a non-argumentative version of an INTP. There are a LOT of differences. It looks just as 'nerdy', but much more focused on the deductions rather than the inductions. We're trying to get the answers, not the possibilities.

Yeah, I would say that's a pretty concise description about how Ni+Ti works in myself as well.

If I go into hyper introvert mode, I have a hard time expressing my thoughts and feelings, even when challenged to.

Yeah, I would say that's a pretty concise description about how Ni+Ti works in myself as well.

If I go into hyper introvert mode, I have a hard time expressing my thoughts and feelings, even when challenged to.

One of my most common Ni + Ti modes is to tinker with systems... like MBTI/Jungian psychology, computer programming, or roleplaying games. I can get lost in that for hours.

Do I have either one of those as dominant traits, Von Hase?

Do I have either one of those as dominant traits, Von Hase?

If you are an ISTP (and I believe that you are), then your dominant trait is Ti.

However, you have the same set of functions as an INFJ (Ti, Se, Ni, Fe), which means that when you lean on introverted functions, you lean on Ti + Ni, just like INFJs but in a slightly different preference. These are also your dominant and tertiary functions, just like INFJs, which is why I think ISTPs and INFJs get along so well together. We admire each other and who we truly are inspires the others' inner child, constantly encouraging each other to enjoy life more.

We knew you loved us Pookie! Let's have some Ti!!

So I do have Ni...

Interesting.

Von hase why does everything think I am an extrovert?