How much time do you focus on self? | INFJ Forum

How much time do you focus on self?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
How much time do you spend focusing or thinking about your self - thinking about feelings, thinking about your behavior, appearance, etc.?

Not enough and way too much. The time I did spend lately, I spent very unproductively, hence not enough and way too much at the same time part.

i spend most of my days in reflection. hmm, how i treat others and why? what can i do today to make someone smile?

appearance: i don't spend too much time on this...just enough so i don't look scary. =p i'll spend a lot more time in this area if i want to impress, but most days i've got nothing to prove (well, i like to think that).

Far too much recently, but this comes and goes. I've been known to spend weeks inside my head trying to work something out or understand myself better. I don't typically put as much focus on my appearance as I do sifting through my thoughts and feelings in order to comprehend what's going on at my core - and that, in turn, often prompts me to (re)examine my behavior. This whole dynamic can change depending on how much importance I or someone close to me places on an issue.

Reactions: Gaze
I am always willing to improve myself and look at life in another way, I am always within my own mind piecing thoughts, experiences and emotions together like a puzzle. I give my subconscious a very clear idea of what I want to know and as it happens, I will get the answer when it is needed. I will sit at night and meditate, I wait for the mud to settle to the bottom of the cup and observe what comes to mind. I would like to set aside more time for myself as it is very beneficial for me, it really allows me to dive deep into myself and puts all of my emotions back in order. When alone I will think about others just as much sometimes, I constantly go over the behavior I have studied in them and try to pick out things they did consciously and unconsciously. I want to have the right outlook on life. Whenever I can focus on self, I do. And by doing this I hope to help others in the future if need be.

Since I started exploring MBTI and the JCFs, my thinking about myself has shifted to a more positive light, but overall my thinking time is pretty evenly split between myself and others on issues and problems.

Oh, just about 99% of the time or so.

Not much, really... unless I'm in some sort of a problem where I have to adapt myself to a new circumstance, change in some way and learn some lesson.
(My appearance doesn't figure into this.) If I'm unhappy then I don't brush it aside, I analyze it and try to change so that I feel content. If I feel unhappy with who I am, then I focus on the sort of self I want to be and work towards it. If I start to feel isolated then I alter my behavior and reach out to friends (as I have a habit of slipping into hermit-mode).

Last edited:
although for the last two years, focus on self was high with a ton of helpful and insightful introspection, i think more growth takes place with less focus lately.

A lot of time, actually. Most of it is spent in realignment though. Very little of it goes toward my own behavior or appearance.

I spend too much time hyper-analyzing the world (politics, humans rights issues, environmental issues, etc.) to the point where I fill myself up with anger and sorrow and despair and get kind of catatonic... my mind is seething and reeling, but it robs me of physical energy at the same time. I think this is counter-productive both to my own well-being, my family's and the world's (what the world srsly doesn't need these days is more negative energy injected into it). So I do spend considerable time focused on my self, but I think of it more as maintenance than indulgence or self-importance.

A lot. I am a whore for self-improvement.

Oh, just about 99% of the time or so.

A lot. I am a whore for self-improvement.

Pretty much this. Thinking about feelings/behavior mostly, far less appearance.

although for the last two years, focus on self was high with a ton of helpful and insightful introspection, i think more growth takes place with less focus lately.

There's probably truth in this for me to consider.

I am always willing to improve myself and look at life in another way, I am always within my own mind piecing thoughts, experiences and emotions together like a puzzle. I give my subconscious a very clear idea of what I want to know and as it happens, I will get the answer when it is needed. I will sit at night and meditate, I wait for the mud to settle to the bottom of the cup and observe what comes to mind. I would like to set aside more time for myself as it is very beneficial for me, it really allows me to dive deep into myself and puts all of my emotions back in order. When alone I will think about others just as much sometimes, I constantly go over the behavior I have studied in them and try to pick out things they did consciously and unconsciously. I want to have the right outlook on life. Whenever I can focus on self, I do. And by doing this I hope to help others in the future if need be.

I wish I could meditate. I've tried and it's been so difficult for me that I tend not to choose it even though I strongly think it could be of benefit. I think I should try again.

No, I don't think about myself much at all, and if I do it's only because it involves a connection to, or balance with, something else that is bigger.

I wish I could meditate. I've tried and it's been so difficult for me that I tend not to choose it even though I strongly think it could be of benefit. I think I should try again.

You and me both. It's something I think would benefit me hugely, but I get so frustrated when I can't shut my mind off. I keep revisiting the intention, because I know it's all about practice. I meditate better with music than without, because it leads me to the side of my thoughts and if I can avoid distraction (very hard with a dog and a couple of cats in my face), I can sometimes wander away into a quieter place in my mind. Over the past 3 weeks I've been doing a 30 minute yoga video daily, and it has been a BIG help.

You and me both. It's something I think would benefit me hugely, but I get so frustrated when I can't shut my mind off. I keep revisiting the intention, because I know it's all about practice. I meditate better with music than without, because it leads me to the side of my thoughts and if I can avoid distraction (very hard with a dog and a couple of cats in my face), I can sometimes wander away into a quieter place in my mind. Over the past 3 weeks I've been doing a 30 minute yoga video daily, and it has been a BIG help.

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe1-4.html

This has been linked on the forum before, but I thought I might aswell link it again if none of you have seen it. It was a great help for me to get started again. I have found out I can only meditate once all of my family has gone to bed and it's nice and quiet, during the morning and day is just...too distracting. So i've changed my sleeping pattern a little so I have the time at night to meditate. I highly recommend the both of you try to set some time aside where it would be nice and quiet. If that is possible of course. I found a program recently called LifeFlow Meditation 2.0 and it seems to have some nice 40 minute music tracks on it. I havn't really tried experimenting with them during meditation as I much prefer the peace and quiet, but I guess it could subside all irritating background noise and replace it with much more peaceful sounds.

I went through a long period of difficulty.. and I was constantly focused on my emotions and reactions and behaviors in order to try and find peace.
Things have been very good the past nearly two years.. very peaceful so I notice that I haven't spent nearly as much time as I had journaling and trying to better understand myself and my situation.

lots, im convinced everything on the outside is bc of whats inside, which is mostly different emotions. the more i pay attention and allow them the more it seems i have though i thik they were always there directing me i just didnt see them. once i lose perspective/acceptance of whats going on inside i have to look at the external world to know whats happening in my internal one which never works as well.

Reactions: jn56uytrx
I'm a whore of over thinking things that have to do with me or my values.