How long would society last without electricity? | INFJ Forum

How long would society last without electricity?

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by Lark, Apr 2, 2014.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
More threads by Lark
  1. Lark

Lark Rothchildian Agent

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    In Fight Club the book it was the electricity power plants that Durdan aims to destroy to reset humanity, in the movie it was the banking sector and peoples credit records, why do you think there was the difference and how long do you think society would last without electricity and why?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. muir

Banned

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Things would turn to chaos very quickly because it would disrupt food production

People can live without TV and internet and kettles and ovens and lights but they can't live without food

The shop shelves would empty within hours and the food in peoples fridges and shelves would last about a week

So i think there'd be food riots in the cities within a week of the lights going out

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. say what

say what I like soft things...so soft!

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4..maybe?
    How would no power impact nuclear plants? Would they leak? Blow up? Or would nothing happen?

4. Eventhorizon

Eventhorizon Permanently relocated
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    The vast majority of the population would die off in a month. After that its anyone's guess.

5. sprinkles

sprinkles Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    They'd have to run generators to power the cooling system even if the reactor is shut down, until it is safely cooled off after the shutdown. If they could manage that, it would be safe afterwards.

If not, it could go boom.

6. Eventhorizon

Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Boom or simply melt?

7. sprinkles

Threads:
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    It could melt or it could actually explode. Depends how bad it is.

Edit: and actually there could be a high probability of melting followed by booming.

8. sprinkles

Threads:
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    [MENTION=8603]Eventhorizon[/MENTION]

Or basically if it's kind of bad, you get Three Mile Island.

If it's pretty bad you get Fukushima 1

If it's super disastrous bad you could get Chernobyl.

9. digitalbum

digitalbum Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    How long would society last with no electricity?

2 days tops.

Humanity would survive, obviously, but we'd all turn into our most basest animal forms. Once food production stopped, organized rednecks, or ex-military milita groups and preppers, that today most people scoff at, would be running part of the show. There'd be roaming bands of very well armed men capturing and/or retrieving resources from the weak.

Here's the main part of the show:
    The entire Military of each country would quickly mobilize and set up outposts at all major resources of food/fuel/etc., with possible skirmishes with inferior militia groups. They'd also reinforce existing military bases. Once they had settled some modicum of order with the military machine, making sure soldiers were all well fed, then they might start building refugee camps for the civilians that had managed to survive if there was more than enough food to ration out to them. Some more dictatorial governments' military with much smaller resources, may just start executing civilians.

Shit, it'd be, in a word, bad.

10. rawr

rawr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IxTP
    Enneagram:
    human
    there's a show about this, guys (a pretty good one too)

[video=youtube;yDDyitbqBmop]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDDyitbqBmop[/video]

NBC's Revolution

11. Rift Zone

Rift Zone Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ RCOEI
    Enneagram:
    5w6-1-3 sx
    30 thousand years! Well, we've done it before.

In America... seems like it would be getting really interesting a month in. I'm more comfortable with most being history at the two month point.

In India, tree months could go by and most might not be seriously affected.

rawr likes this.
  12. Matt3737

Matt3737 Similes are like songs in love.

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    A nuclear explosion of a power plant is impossible. It may meltdown or a regular explosion might occur, but not a nuclear explosion.

An emergency shutdown of a nuclear power plant is referred to as a scram and can occur as quickly as within 5 seconds.

13. sprinkles

Threads:
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    Well yeah, the explosion is from the steam system running away. It's a steam explosion. If there's a breach it will be radioactive steam.

I did not say it was a nuclear explosion.

Edit:
    Also I wouldn't play this down if I were you. A radioactive explosion is about as bad as you can get short of a nuclear one. You don't get the gigantic fireball but you might get the 500km exclusion area.

#13 sprinkles, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  14. sprinkles

Threads:
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    [MENTION=4822]Matt3737[/MENTION]

Three Mile Island and Chernobyl had steam explosions. Fukushima had hydrogen-air explosions.

All of them happened after the reactor tried to SCRAM.

15. sprinkles

Threads:
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_Daiichi_nuclear_disaster#Backup_generators

16. sprinkles

Threads:
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    And you know what, I'm in a mood so I'm going to post about this again.

Doohohoo, details.

Reactor melt is not really your biggest worry. "It won't explode, it'll melt!" Damn details. If you're lucky and the reactor ONLY melts you might be better off because modern reactor containment has design considerations to deal with just melt. If you're lucky, the material might not even escape containment.

But if shit starts exploding you have real problems - explosions help breach containment, and they help scatter stuff around, and they can break safety measures to cause things to go more wrong than they'd have to otherwise. It's not the explosion, it's what the explosion does. The scary blast wave that kills people standing by it is not the main consideration. What it does to the containment of the reactor and the dispersal of radioactive material is.

It's not the fire that burns you, it's the heat. It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end. Damn details.

17. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Maybe the author wanted to disrupt the credit company's records and so by putting out the electric he could disrupt society and clear the credit company records, but in the movie they wanted you to "get it" without a lot of explanation?

anyways society would last til the second to last human died off. I think city's would be hit the hardest, it would create food and water deserts. That would kill off most people in a city, where I live in the rural suburbs I feel like I'd do alright but certainly I'm not in an ideal position.

18. Eventhorizon

Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Dont know. Have you heard whats happening at Fukushima? Its still not contained and apparently never will be. Radioactive material making its way into the sea and ground water. Chernobyl, even though the building is falling apart and needed to be repaired, at least was mostly contained.

19. sprinkles

Threads:
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    You might be right, Fukushima may actually be the worst one. I didn't check all the numbers.

But still that's even worse news because Fukushima was a more modern plant than Chernobyl and Chernobyl already had severe problems due to an experiment they were running to try and figure out a way to solve the backup generator start-up time problem they were having - the core was already in a critical state before they tried to SCRAM it.

With Fukushima the reactors SCRAMed successfully without problems, in normal circumstances there wouldn't have been a disaster. The big problem with Fukushima was the backup coolant system generators being taken offline by the flood - the exact scenario I'm referring to. They could have had a cold shutdown if it were not for that. All it took was that one weakness.

This could very well happen somewhere if there were a global power outage for whatever reason that we simply aren't prepared for.

20. Eventhorizon

Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    I did not hear that but I have to be honest with you, doesnt that sound a bit suspicious to you? After the accident people would and did ask if Japan should have ANY nuclear reactors given that they are so earthquake prone. That if one was taken down so EASILY (even though it was a large quake etc) the rest should be taken off line. So coming up with a story that the reactor WOULD have been ok if operating normally might cause people to not be as concerned.

Maybe Im just speculating but, it seems a little out of place...