How long can you go without any human interaction? Or any meaningful interaction? | INFJ Forum

How long can you go without any human interaction? Or any meaningful interaction?

jupiterswoon

Permanent Fixture
Mar 30, 2012
MBTI
ISFP
Enneagram
I think for me I can last about three days without real life meaningful interaction, and I get lonely by the end of two days without basic real-life non-meaningful interaction.

I wonder if INTJs can go longer?

I think for me I can last about three days without meaningful interaction, and I get lonely by the end of two days without basic non-meaningful interaction.

I wonder if INTJs can go longer?

For me, it depends on my state of mind. If I'm in the right state of mind, I think I can go 4 days ish. However, sometimes I need to be around someone and have meaningful conversations. At those times, 4 hours is pushing my limits.

When I was 18 I went backpacking by myself. It was a big deal because for the most part, whenever I did something like that, I always had someone else along. But, I was looking for enlightenment on so many things. I wasnt sure at time what I was going to do with me life. I questioned if I shouldn't try to get a job where there were no people around. Blah blah,yada yada.

Long story short, about the middle of the second of three days, I remember standing there next to a stream and thinking\feeling "I need people." I knew then I shouldnt get a job on some ranger lookout.

For as much as people annoy me, I need them when I need them.

Castaway was a great movie btw. May have to watch it again now. :)

It varies, really. I've gone weeks and months without being around or talking to anyone and been perfectly fine living in my own little bubble. Other times, I can barely make it a few hours without feeling lonely or restless.

It varies, really. I've gone weeks and months without being around or talking to anyone and been perfectly fine living in my own little bubble. Other times, I can barely make it a few hours without feeling lonely or restless.

I think its hard for me when I'm transitioning between a period of great social interaction to nil interaction.

[MENTION=8603]Eventhorizon[/MENTION] [MENTION=11455]dogman6126[/MENTION] @RadiantShadow

Who is it you first want to talk to when you do come out of that phase?

[MENTION=8603]Eventhorizon[/MENTION] [MENTION=11455]dogman6126[/MENTION] @RadiantShadow

For me, any three of my close friends....

@RadiantShadow do you think that the use of technology can replace that?

Well thats interesting. I had my brother for a while. But he has a family now so, now I dont really have anyone. :m142:

Seriously though, these days its not a matter of talking to anyone, its matter of just realizing there are other people in the world.

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
@RadiantShadow do you think that the use of technology can replace that?

(You can put a space between the words in my username to summon me appropriately =) )

I think that question most appropriately belongs in the other relationship thread floating around here, but I'll answer it here.

Do I think technological mediums can replace the warmth and security of human interaction? No, and even if they could and still be psychologically healthy, I still think I would prefer to have a real person in front of me. It's more fun and spontaneous and freeform and stuffz. I also love showering my friends and dear one with attention and the occasional gift or long-desired activity...it would take a craftier mind than mine to do that sufficiently without them with me.

I am naturally a pretty social person and I love seeing people a few times a week if possible. But other than that, I like my alone time. And when I am having alone time, I prefer not to be disturbed.

That said, sometimes I go on social binges where I hop from hanging with one friend to the next to the next for a couple days or more at a time. I am usually utterly exhausted by the end of it, but no regrets. Then comes alone recharge time. Then time to do it again.

If I am isolating myself and not contacting my friends, it is because I am in a very low state of mind, and likely highly depressed. When I go into that mode, I push everyone away, and I hide. I don't like being burdensome on others and I will isolate until it utterly consumes me and nearly destroys me. Pretty much not good. Need to work on not doing that.

I thought I was actually okay without social interaction, but it turns out, I can't really go more than a few hours without some kind of contact with people. Consciously, I won't be aware as I'm locked in la-la land of whatever interest I'm pursuing at the moment, but when I emerge again after several hours of not interacting with anyone, I notice I do get rather lonely and crave talking to someone, even if it's just you guys on the forums.

I am naturally a pretty social person and I love seeing people a few times a week if possible. But other than that, I like my alone time. And when I am having alone time, I prefer not to be disturbed.

That said, sometimes I go on social binges where I hop from hanging with one friend to the next to the next for a couple days or more at a time. I am usually utterly exhausted by the end of it, but no regrets. Then comes alone recharge time. Then time to do it again.

If I am isolating myself and not contacting my friends, it is because I am in a very low state of mind, and likely highly depressed. When I go into that mode, I push everyone away, and I hide. I don't like being burdensome on others and I will isolate until it utterly consumes me and nearly destroys me. Pretty much not good. Need to work on not doing that.

Do you think that is more of an Fi thing than an Fe thing? I've noticed with my boyfriend that he similarly pushes everyone away when he is in that kind of mode. I will isolate, but I don't end up pushing people away.

For me, if people prod me enough then I will come out of it- I don't like burden either, but I find myself more likely to conform to those others emotions if they are really trying to get me actively engaged with them. Usually I feel relieved or happy when people try to pull me out of it, although I suppose it depends on how far I am down the rabbit hole... :/

I think I find I am happiest when I have light communication in the form of conversations with people for part of the day, and another part of the day to think and be by myself.

When I take holidays for two weeks, I spend the two weeks alone. Somehow knowing that I have to return at the end of it makes the alone time very enjoyable.

If I knew that I wouldn't be returning to my regular routine, I think I would probably get lonely after about a week.

I used to think I could live in a cabin in the woods far away from everyone with limited social interaction. NOT! :D However I still like my space. I can handle people better in small doses. I'm not a fan of too much constant social interaction because it drains me. However, interacting with a few people at a time occasionally is healthy. I don't like or need to be isolated, since most of my time is spent by myself at home. I'm from a family of introverts so we each need our alone time, and we generally give each other our space . . . somewhat. But I spend quite a bit of time alone, so I don't think I need more time alone. Rather I would like more one-on-one time with people I care about who I don't see often. I generally stay away from too much social interaction in groups because then things get complicated.

Last edited:
Do you think that is more of an Fi thing than an Fe thing? I've noticed with my boyfriend that he similarly pushes everyone away when he is in that kind of mode. I will isolate, but I don't end up pushing people away.

For me, if people prod me enough then I will come out of it- I don't like burden either, but I find myself more likely to conform to those others emotions if they are really trying to get me actively engaged with them. Usually I feel relieved or happy when people try to pull me out of it, although I suppose it depends on how far I am down the rabbit hole... :/

I couldn't say if Fi is more prone to it, although perhaps that might make some sense. I don't know enough to say for sure.

I know that when I am hiding though, there is a part of me secretly hoping that someone will care enough to wonder what happened to me and come asking. Even if I act like nothing is wrong, just knowing someone cared enough and noticed that I wasn't around as much really means a lot to me and it helps me to pull out of my shell again. There are only a couple people who always ask me what is up if they haven't heard from me in a while, and I treasure them dearly. Most others just assume I must not need anyone and never say anything. Not their fault, totally mine. Life happens, and it's easy for a lot of time to pass. Doesn't mean they don't care. I used to assume that about people and I have stopped doing this. It's my fault for isolating myself, not my friends. They are always there when I come back out and that means a lot to me also.

I couldn't say if Fi is more prone to it, although perhaps that might make some sense. I don't know enough to say for sure.

I know that when I am hiding though, there is a part of me secretly hoping that someone will care enough to wonder what happened to me and come asking. Even if I act like nothing is wrong, just knowing someone cared enough and noticed that I wasn't around as much really means a lot to me and it helps me to pull out of my shell again. There are only a couple people who always ask me what is up if they haven't heard from me in a while, and I treasure them dearly. Most others just assume I must not need anyone and never say anything. Not their fault, totally mine. Life happens, and it's easy for a lot of time to pass. Doesn't mean they don't care. I used to assume that about people and I have stopped doing this. It's my fault for isolating myself, not my friends. They are always there when I come back out and that means a lot to me also.

I guess I'm more curious about the lashing out part and can't help but wonder what causes it.