Flavus Aquila

Finding My Place in the Sun
Banned
Mar 14, 2009
Australia
MBTI
INTJ - A
Enneagram
How important are men's opinions about women to women?

*Some topics of being judged, notions of beauty, attitudes, etc. came up in another thread*.

(I was going to start a thread going the other way, but realised that it would probably require same-sex versions as well, and I'm not willing to start that many threads on a touchscreen keyboard.)

Opinions on what?

as a woman, i never really bothered what men think of me... or what others think of me in general.. although growing up, it was instilled to me that what men can do, we can do it too - sometimes better.. but.. opinions are just opinions.. at the end of the day, i know myself.. and that's more important than anyones opinion..

I suppose it depends. I suppose even if in some regards these opinions may not be important to me in some ways I might be affected, whether I like it or not. I used to sometimes feel intimidated or upset my men wolf whistling or strangers saying things like "cheer up it may never happen", and that kind of approach (or opinion) would upset me.

In general people's opinions about me matter or don't matter to a varying degree depending on how much my principles are involved in something. If someone has a bad opinion of me and bad principles then I don't really care though.. I think I'm missing the point here.

Right, men in particular in relation to how they rate me...I have never considered myself 'girly' or even aspired to be. I thank god that I was not brought up to be a 'nice' girl and to be seen and not heard. Dress a certain way, look a certain way. Be a quiet and good wife, and all of that bs. This really is so alien to me. I found it shock that some of my friends had been raised with very strict ideas about what it means to be a woman.

Beyond that though I do like to be valued and appreciated, just like everyone does, by men and women.

Last edited:
If I'm interested in the person, I'm going to care what they think. However, it's a catch 22. If you let on too easily that you care about someone's opinion, they'll just use it to use, manipulate, or against you. I do like strong, dominant men, and if there is smarts, honesty, humility, goodness, and compassion to back that up, then yes, I would care what they think because I hold that person in high regard because of who they are, if they've earned my respect. That doesn't mean I think their opinion is always right or is never flawed, but if I respect the person, then yes, I care about their perceptions. Though, not sure it's really a good idea in the long run but oops, there it is. (I feel as if I've just set back women a few hundred years :D)

You guys joke about feminism, but it is because deep down, the idea of a confident woman who doesn't give a shit about your opinion terrifies you.
I wish that was the reason.

Speaking of my observations I notice they matter a lot to people of both genders, because every time someone voices a preference such as preferring tall men or preferring women of a certain appearance large swaths of both men and women who don't fulfill the stated preference start to protest.

Personally, I can't understand why others get offended if they don't fit someone else's preference, unless they're actually interested in said person. We can't be likeable and attractive to everyone, but we'll almost certainly be attractive to someone. I don't care about the opinions of anonymous men when they comment on women in general, even if I can see myself in what they're saying. Whether I care or not depends on the context and people involved.