How good are you at reading silence? | INFJ Forum

How good are you at reading silence?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Not as great as I'd like to be. I sometimes read negativity into it where none is intended.

it depends on the situation so i can garner context. I'm decent at it but not that great, Could definitely use some improvement.

Interesting thread

I feel like I am probably usually able to discern pretty well what the emotions are behind most types of silence, but I am definitely not infallible. Because it's in my nature to be suspicious unless someone is giving off some very strong vibes that say otherwise, I usually tend to drift toward thinking it might be on the more negative end of the spectrum. But that always depends on situation/person/relationship with person etc.

I think they forgot the most basic one:
silent

Silence doesn't have to mean anything
just as noise doesn't.

Not as great as I'd like to be. I sometimes read negativity into it where none is intended.

I feel like I am probably usually able to discern pretty well what the emotions are behind most types of silence, but I am definitely not infallible. Because it's in my nature to be suspicious unless someone is giving off some very strong vibes that say otherwise, I usually tend to drift toward thinking it might be on the more negative end of the spectrum. But that always depends on situation/person/relationship with person etc.

Yeah, i wasn't very good at understanding silences. I always assumed that it meant something negative, especially about the person. I think i'm better at interpreting silence today but not always of course. If someone is especially silent i am usually more guarded around them because i don't want to feel as if i'm invading their quiet.

Last edited:
I have noticed many people cannot simply notice silence, let alone have respect for it.

Yeah, i wasn't very good at understandings silences. I always assumed that it meant something negative, especially about the person. I think i'm better at interpreting silence but not always. If someone is especially silent i am usually more guarded around them because i don't want to feel as if i'm invading their quiet.

I'm kinda the opposite, if someone's very quiet I sometimes feel obliged to fill in the silence with random chatter.. which is awkward :/

"TELL ME IF I'M RIGHT. PREGNANT PAUSE. AM I RIGHT?!"

"No, I'm just fat."

/awesome joke