How flexible or adaptable are you | INFJ Forum

How flexible or adaptable are you

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
How flexible or adaptable are you. Are you someone who changes with the wind or do you tend to hold your ground.

Hmmm...

In my younger years, I've always adapted to other people.
As a result, I always acted different around different people.

Since I was not being myself, it kind of plunged me into depression.

Now, I see it as a mutual effort to adapt to each other when meeting new people.

I feel like I possess some ability to make others adapt to me. I don't know the term for this sort of phenomenon, but it would be 'reverse-empathy', if anything.

Reactions: Gaze
"For a man who wants to make a profession of good in all regards must come to ruin among so many who are not good. Hence it is necessary to a prince, if he wants to maintain himself, to learn to be able not to be good, and to use this and not use it according to necessity." Niccolo Machiavelli

I can be quite flexible and adaptable when it comes to people. However, when it comes to my physical environment. I am much less so. I always want my environment to be neat and tidy. I am also a very regular person. Perhaps it has to do with the "J" side of me, I don't know.

Difficult and interesting question [MENTION=1669]Carrie[/MENTION]

I am very mutable. I can be who you need me to be at any given time. I try and find the best possible way to relate to others. I don't hide who I am, they are all components of my personality, but I can be vastly different from crowd to crowd. I like to blend in and have learned how to be socially flexible. I think being in a culturally different environment all the time and having to adjust my sense of cultural norms is the reason why I tend to be mutable. For example, I consider it rude and unseemly to be loud--however, that isn't really something that is "frowned" upon in American culture--so I have to adjust my sense of what I consider normal.

I am however firm in my beliefs and my sense of honor and duty. I will rarely deviate from my own internal sense of honor to satisfy or appease others. I am not afraid to say when I think something is wrong.

I will listen and respect, even re-evaluate my ideas and perceptions when speaking with others. I think I am flexible in that I am always open to the idea that I am wrong. I am also open to the idea that I am right though.

In the end, adapation is a successful strategy. If you are unable to adapt to changing circumstances and information as it comes along, you might as well go through life banging your head against the wall.

Reactions: Gaze
How flexible or adaptable are you. Are you someone who changes with the wind or do you tend to hold your ground.

i tend to hold tight to my core beliefs. i will entertain new ideas and fit them where appropriate, but essentially i do not vary from what i feel is my life path.
other things - everyday things out side of that - i am pretty adaptable.