How do you handle feeling more than most? | INFJ Forum

How do you handle feeling more than most?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
How do you handle feeling more than most?

What do you think are the cause of these feelings? What fuels them?

For anyone who usually feels or experiences things or emotions deeply or intensely, how do you handle or manage it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Siamese cat
Wow, great topic.

I write more than usual, I try to get it out of my system by walks, showers, crying, dancing to some very loud music... whatever is possible at the moment.

It gets hard in social situations where I don't have enough space to deal with it.

I used to get aware of my boiling feelings only when I'm already suffocating in them, when things are trough the roof. I took some effort to deal with my feelings before I go to far with them and now it's a lot better. I don't have so much boiling moments now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
how would you know if you feel things more than most? :/ you could REACT to things in a more emotionally overt manner, but that wouldn't necessarily correlate to feelings things more strongly.

i try and recognise my feelings as valid and work through them without letting them consume me (as opposed to pretending they aren't really happening),

but often i still get overwhelmed by feelings.

i'm better since i started spending more time alone. i also manage my feelings better when i exercise regularly, eat properly, and get proper sleep. (and drink less etc.)

Reactions: Gaze
Well...

I actually thought I felt less than most, and I tried to put myself in more intensely emotional situations. But, it's hard to say, because I think I feel more about different things than other people do. Different concerns, different values, different feelings.

Art, in it's broader sense, helps me work through my emotions. I think most people just talk about their feelings with their friends or, less healthily, drown them out.

how would you know if you feel things more than most? :/ you could REACT to things in a more emotionally overt manner, but that wouldn't necessarily correlate to feelings things more strongly.

I don't get the sense that NF's or INFJs feel more than me. Perhaps more often. When I do have them, my emotions are extremely intense. I just don't express them easily when others are around, and I tend to try to resolve them logically.

I can only explain a difference between my INTJ wife,Dad, and brother... and my INFJ self. Feelings tend to "roll off their backs" better. Not always, though. They also tend to sometimes be out of touch with how they feel. Other times they don't clue in as much on how others feel. Its gotten to the point where my wife counts on me to 'advise.'

When this is happening it is likely because they are busy trying to achieve an objective and are focused on that. In my case, I can't get how people feel into the background. Its always up front, even if I, in a geeky way, am clueless about what I did to make people feel a certain way. And resolving these things to put those feelings of myself and others into 'the right' is generally what is on my mind. That whole "thought and feelings as about feelings" thing seems to be where I differ from them. Im also more likely to pay attention to what is commonly called vibes.

The other thing is the vibe thing. But that just makes my INTJ relatives laugh.

Ack, so what I was gonna say was that when it comes tofeeling bout feelings, my wife values it, so I cope by talking to her about it.

when it comes to vibes, I just act on them. I don't talk about it with others, because, well, what's the point?

As for the intensity issue, there the trick for me is mostly meditative arts. I find that the eastern meditative traditions are good for both dealing with and attuning a feeling centric mind, as well as calming run away Ti or nefarious shadow Ne.

Wow, great topic.

I write more than usual, I try to get it out of my system by walks, showers, crying, dancing to some very loud music... whatever is possible at the moment.

It gets hard in social situations where I don't have enough space to deal with it.

I used to get aware of my boiling feelings only when I'm already suffocating in them, when things are trough the roof. I took some effort to deal with my feelings before I go to far with them and now it's a lot better. I don't have so much boiling moments now.

The same here, also what I've been known to do is to buy cheap dollar store glasses and just smash them everywhere, it just makes it so much easier to cope. Cleaning it up is a bitch though.

What do you think are the cause of these feelings? What fuels them?
Sensitivity to the emotional flow in a room fuels it. I know others who sense it but dont react as sensitively. they have thicker skin, or as i like to say, "they have skin." It just doesn't bother them if X looks annoyed or Q is pushing away. Lucky them?

For anyone who usually feels or experiences things or emotions deeply or intensely, how do you handle or manage it?
Meditation, long walks, building cathartic naratives.

Sensitivity to the emotional flow in a room fuels it. I know others who sense it but dont react as sensitively. they have thicker skin, or as i like to say, "they have skin." It just doesn't bother them if X looks annoyed or Q is pushing away. Lucky them?

This^^^ to the 100th power :D

I feel intensely, even as a child, feelings hit me like a wrecking ball. However, I have gotten better at repressing my more negative emotions over the years.

If it's getting to be too much, I leave if I'm in a social situation, or I'll play every minor key on my keyboard until my hands hurt.