[INFJ] How do percentages effect type?

Jeffrei

OneOneOne
Aug 16, 2018
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
in the official Myers Briggs Type Indicator, it is said that scoring a 5 or less for either side is an “unclear preference.” Basically an x.

How would scoring... let’s say a 6 or a 7 on one of the dichotomies color/affect your type?

I'm interested in this too. As I understand, type is a way to unlock the function stack. So anyone with an x would not have a clear function stack at all and would not really be typed. One variable can change the function stack dramatically, so for example, my wife types as INTP and I think this fairly accurately describes her personality, but she claims to be a slightly split J/P. Yet, there is a considerable difference in the function stacks of an INTP and an INTJ. I wonder to what extent this is an artifact of the online tests—that is, they should be used as a means to aid typing, but not as a substitute for more lengthy thought on one's type and ultimately not as a way to dictate your type.

I also understand Jung believed types changed through life, but this is generally not considered true by MBTI and its updates, because one of the main points of knowing your type for MBTI is to chart your likely psychological maturation in terms of what is and is not healthy, that is developing the lower portions of the function stack.

I'm definitely watching this thread.

I'm interested in this too. As I understand, type is a way to unlock the function stack. So anyone with an x would not have a clear function stack at all and would not really be typed. One variable can change the function stack dramatically, so for example, my wife types as INTP and I think this fairly accurately describes her personality, but she claims to be a slightly split J/P. Yet, there is a considerable difference in the function stacks of an INTP and an INTJ. I wonder to what extent this is an artifact of the online tests—that is, they should be used as a means to aid typing, but not as a substitute for more lengthy thought on one's type and ultimately not as a way to dictate your type.

I really think online tests are only a means to aid typing, given their many known limitations (the question format, etc.) Also, the best description I've read of the P/J distinction is that it refers to the first function that one extraverts - whether it's a judging or perceiving function. Given that the first function that INFJs extravert is Fe, a judging function, this makes them Js. But this in turn suggests that the dichotomous typing is ultimately based on the more fundamental typing of the functions, and cannot really make sense without it.

Regarding your wife being on the cusp between J and P: this is quite interesting, and I don't think too uncommon for INTPs. I suggest this article for your spare time (it's not very long), as I found it quite enlightening when I read it.

Reactions: Rowan Tree
Regarding your wife being on the cusp between J and P: this is quite interesting, and I don't think too uncommon for INTPs. I suggest this article for your spare time (it's not very long), as I found it quite enlightening when I read it.

This article is very helpful, thank you.

Reactions: Ren