How do INFJ's handle death? | INFJ Forum

How do INFJ's handle death?

aureliusandoinky

Regular Poster
Feb 23, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Specifically the death of someone close to you. Share your experiences if it isn't too difficult or emotional for you.

I lost my grandmother recently, so this question has been on my mind.

Reactions: Free and Bellosome
Fortunately for myself, the greatest impact of a person's death was my grandfather whom I had never had a chance to meet - so I was not directly exposed to the loss and did not enter the grief cycle then. I was six years old then, and had many dreams of him in those days -- my mind recreated his image through the pictures I had gazed upon in waking life. Around that time in my life I became acutely aware of the concept of death, and spent many nights thinking about my own death, unable to fall asleep. This experience magnified my already-deep fascination with death which lead to a great sadness and existential crisis (marked by brief periods of ecstatic bliss) in my teen years, and this finally lead to a great reverence for life and death which is a part of who I am today.

My condolences go out to you. I cannot truly know what you are feeling right now, but my thoughts are with you and the departed, and I hope that my post brought some comfort. Rest easy knowing that she is no longer subject to the suffering of this world. <3

Reactions: Free
My grandpa passed a few weeks ago and had his memorial service and funeral last week.

I cried for a few minutes when I heard of his passing (we had expected it - he had been sick for a few years. A week prior, he went to the ER and the doctor had told us he only had a few days left). After my initial cry at home, I pretty much told myself to "buck up" and be strong for my mom. As much as I was grieving internally, I functioned normally (my husband even mentioned so) because I felt the need to maintain a routine to keep my composure.

At the memorial service, I shed a few tears at the viewing but I continuously told myself to not let myself waver in the face of my family. That didn't mean I wasn't comforting though - I made sure to hold my mom as she was crying as well as my grandmother and any other family member that looked like they needed someone.

The night after the funeral, I had my first and only dream of my grandpa where he said he's okay now. The morning after, I cried in the shower.

You all have my sincerest sympathy, the death of a loved one is a terrible thing to endure.

I've handled death fairly well and have not let it smother my joy for life. Death puts everything in perspective and, in my experience at least, makes one conscious of what is truly important, melting away some of the psychic trash cluttering our lives. My father, an uncle, two grandparents, and three friends have all passed, and I thought I was going to die earlier this year when I had a resurgence of cancer.

If I have learned anything from these experiences, it has been that living fully is of paramount importance. Death is inevitable and we owe it to ourselves and those around us to make the best of what time we are given in this life, to live lives we can be proud of, to face our fears and overcome ourselves, to be able to look back at our life's journey without much regret. Vladimir Nobokov said it best, I feel, when he said that our existence is is but a brief crack of life between two eternities of darkness. The manner in which we use that light is the cause of much happiness and suffering.

Last edited:
I have been thinking a lot about this since the death of a long term relationship has brought up similar feels. I have lost people close to me and I seem to always do this:

1. Disbelief that they are really gone.
2. Accept that they are gone logically at the wake/funeral but feel numb and unreal.
3. Help everyone else cope by making them laugh or being stoic or distracting them.
4. After everyone is gone, cry my eyes out by myself and feel like a part of myself is missing.
5. Repeat 3 and 4 over and over.
6. Never, ever get completely over the loss but finally accept it.

Typically by getting reincarnated

Reactions: cvp12gh5
My grandmother was the first person that I was extremely close to that ever passed away.

When she died, she had been sick with Leukemia for a while but she didn't tell us until the last couple of months before she passed. I drove to her house the night before she passed. I sat down with her, held her hands and poured my heart out to her. I told her how much she meant to me and that if it wasn't for the unconditional love and support that she showered me with, I don't know how I would have survived some of my toughest days. Without her I would have given up on life. I thanked her for loving me and for being the Mom that my mother should have been. I let it all out, not wanting to miss my moment to tell her what a difference she made in my life and how much she was loved by me.

She smiled and cried and then we talked about our good times together and how the bond between us could never be broken. It was a very real moment. I never in my life poured my heart out like that to anyone, but I didn't want her leaving this world without knowing what she meant to me.

She passed the next morning.

There were so many nights when I was little that I would lie in bed thinking about death and dreading the day when she would leave this world and that there would be nothing I could do about it. And then I would sob my eyes out in private.

But when it happened, I didn't cry at all. I remember thinking that this is what happens. We all die. I will also die one day. Life is death. Crying will not change anything.

I didn't cry at the funeral. I had accepted her death. I knew that my words would be in her heart forever therefore I could let go. There was nothing left unsaid. It was okay.

Reactions: Free and PintoBean
So... I have a hard time coping with loss of any kind. Even simple things - like my parents moving from the house that I grew up in, or my grandparents getting new furniture. I hate losing touch with friends that I was once close to - just because we are no longer living close to each other anymore. I don't handle death well at all and usually feel the loss very deeply.

The weird thing is - in the moment I feel nothing. It's only some time later when the flood of emotions come rushing in to overwhelm me. Sometimes I don't even know what I feel - only that things are not right and I can't articulate exactly what or why or how or anything. It takes me time to sort through all the mix of emotions and try to compartmentalize them so I can function. I have to get out of the house and or start a project to escape and take my mind off whatever it is that weighs me down.

To quote C.S. Lewis in "The Great Divorce" - "Every state of mind, left to itself, every shutting up of the creature within the dungeon of its own mind — is, in the end, Hell. But Heaven is not a state of mind. Heaven is reality itself. All that is fully real is Heavenly.."

If you allow yourself to let go of the loss and be grateful for all that was good - the past brightens up the present some. For an interesting article on "gratitude" see: http://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman/the-amazing-way-gratitude-rewires-your-brain-for-happiness.html

1. Disbelief that they are really gone.
2. Accept that they are gone logically at the wake/funeral but feel numb and unreal.
3. Help everyone else cope by making them laugh or being stoic or distracting them.
4. After everyone is gone, cry my eyes out by myself and feel like a part of myself is missing.
6. Never, ever get completely over the loss but finally accept it. 1. Disbelief that they are really gone.
6. Never, ever get completely over the loss but finally accept it.

A variation on DABDA first proposed by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross in 1969, in her ground breaking book On Death and Dying

Denial – The first reaction is denial. In this stage individuals believe the diagnosis is somehow mistaken, and cling to a false, preferable reality.
Anger – When the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue, they become frustrated, especially at proximate individuals. Certain psychological responses of a person undergoing this phase would be: "Why me? It's not fair!"; "How can this happen to me?"; '"Who is to blame?"; "Why would this happen?".
Bargaining – The third stage involves the hope that the individual can avoid a cause of grief. Usually, the negotiation for an extended life is made in exchange for a reformed lifestyle. People facing less serious trauma can bargain or seek compromise.
Depression – "I'm so sad, why bother with anything?"; "I'm going to die soon, so what's the point?"; "I miss my loved one, why go on?"
During the fourth stage, the individual despairs at the recognition of their mortality. In this state, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time mournful and sullen.
Acceptance – "It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it."
In this last stage, individuals embrace mortality or inevitable future, or that of a loved one, or other tragic event. People dying may precede the survivors in this state, which typically comes with a calm, retrospective view for the individual, and a stable condition of emotions.

Most people myself included pass through all these stage. The worst feeling ever when my father died. We were very close. He died of Oesophageal Cancer close to 5 years ago but it still hurts. Strange feeling in my life. The last day he was alive my whole family went home. We left him the palliative care unit. After some time at home I felt like I should go back to the hospital which I did do, I went to the hospital alone, it was late at night. Why I returned back I cannot say. At his bedside I heard him breathing heavily, I know what this is now, its called the death rattle. Then he stopped breathing and died in that moment.

Terrible night but those events are burned in my memory and wont ever leave me.

Last edited:
I actually lost a friend recently
I expected it, but it was still horrible. I feel numb from it still. But seeing pictures of them has helped, a little. That and writing out my thoughts to them.

Reactions: Free and PintoBean
681b1fe47ccd617e221b6a08580ce6b1.jpg

My great-grandma passed away recently. I was pretty much her caretaker to the 2 years prior to her passing. We got real close during that time. She was 98 and had a great mind. Her last words were "Are the kids ok?" Asking about my kids. That was the only time I had ever witnessed someone dying. It was very much like this picture. I just tried to comfort her. I was sad, but accepted it as the way things are.

Reactions: Free and Scientia
First, my condolences to all who've posted about losing a loved one.

I've tried to reply to this thread for a few days. It is not an easy subject to open up about.
The short answer: It is different for everyone. Our reactions may even be different for each loved one we lose.
How I react depends on the circumstances.

I've been a caregiver for a few people and animals who've died. I was alone with the person for part of the time, most of the time, or all of the time. It is the most profound, deep and bonding experience I've ever had (I don't have kids) and completely submerges me with absolute grief. I don't feel sad for myself, but sad for the person losing life. I've learned more about love, selflessness and compassion during these times than any other, and for that I am deeply grateful. Each time I felt like the dying person or animal was giving me a gift about what it means to love. Pure, selfless love.
I wish I could work in hospice, especially animal hospice, because being completely selfless, caring for others when I am needed, listening, and soothing their fears, is a natural and constructive state for me where I feel "of use". I can't live in that world of heavy, painful and numbing, grief, though. It would choke me.
My mom died when I was in my early 20's and I felt like I grew up overnight. I'd already lost friends and relatives, but her death made a huge impact on my life, my choices, and my behaviors. Losing someone that important doesn't fade with time. You carry it like a talisman.

Other times, I've lost friends and relatives and felt numb. No tears. Sometimes I felt relief if the illness and suffering were prolonged. It usually has to do with whether the death was expected, and if I knew the person was at peace.

So, I finally had to post today because of this:
Last night a friend of friends committed suicide. I don't know the person. Sometimes we were at the same parties, but he kept to himself. (Please don't give condolences for this, it makes me feel like I'm stealing attention for someone else's misfortune.) I should not have been affected by this, but my friends sadness crawled over me and soon I was feeling what my friends were feeling. I had to log out of social media after giving my condolences and will stay away for a few days.

So, I finally had to post today because of this:
Last night a friend of friends committed suicide. I don't know the person. Sometimes we were at the same parties, but he kept to himself. (Please don't give condolences for this, it makes me feel like I'm stealing attention for someone else's misfortune.) I should not have been affected by this, but my friends sadness crawled over me and soon I was feeling what my friends were feeling. I had to log out of social media after giving my condolences and will stay away for a few days.

Sounds like a typical reaction for an INFJ to have, speaking one to another. This is a natural way for an INFJ to react and others' sadness will "crawl over you" That' s a good way to put it. Sometimes its hard to accept this reaction within yourself. I think I understand...

I think it would be easier to be the person dying than to be the people left behind. A dying persons suffering will come to an end, the people left behind have to live with a persons death for the rest of their lives. Neither is without grief. Death is part of life. I think the worst death a person can experience is the loss of a young child. I don't know how people ever stop grieving that. I'm sure the grief never really goes away with that kind of experience.

I too send my condolences to those who've lost someone dear.

I believe in an afterlife and death thus doesn't bear a sense of eternal loss for me, it's even tinged with a deep and sure hope and a kind of brightness, but it doesn't take away from the sting of loss. I can't help but feel such deep sadness even when someone close to me looses someone they love whom I know. I'm thinking of two young friends with siblings and two parents, both lost one of their parents recently whom I knew (I haven't lost my parents yet, thankfully) and I have had moments of quite deep sorrow in contemplating the infinitely greater grief and loss they'd be suffering - my friends and siblings loosing a mum and dad, and the parent in each case a beloved spouse. I've got no idea what this kind of sorrow is like.

When someone close to me dies, I'm almost stoic at first, numb, blank. It takes a little while to sink in, but when I've been told, and when I'm not needed to support others in an immediate moment, I desperately just need to go away by myself, in silence to be still, think, weep and pray. My cousin died when I was ten. I remember that. I remember being so sad, but so, so grateful too. It was her birthday the day before she died, and we all saw her, I saw her. She died totally unexpectedly that very night. My mother told us in the morning. I felt so sorry for my aunt and uncle, and my older cousin. I can almost feel the grief in my uncle's heart when I think about it - that was his little girl. I was too young to remember things in detail, maybe my age had nothing to do with not remembering. I know at the funeral I wept gently, but secretly as I could. All I remember clearly is that is was raining that day.

At my great grandmas' funeral, I was 12, I remember my great grandpa's face. I had never seen such sorrow before, and never since. That look is ingrained in my memory. He adored her. They were married for over 60 years. His heart was shattered after that, and died a few years later, although he was still jolly enough, but one could sense the sadness in his heart.

Personally I believe they're all in a better place. Those I know, who've died, I can feel their presence more than when they were alive. I often ask them to pray for me, and thank them for the gift they were (and are). Death's only a speed bump in my view, not a dead end. But man, what a speed bump. I keep my own pending death before my mind to help me live, and I don't fear my own death, although the death of others dear to me I can't with confidence say the same, but I sure as heck am compelled to love those about me while I'm down here and to make use of each today while they're here. There's a quote I never forgot from Shawshank Redemption: "You can either get busy living, or get busy dying."

Here is a personal essay I wrote about my experience with my mother's death, my father's grief and my reaction:

Father’s Day

It was a Friday afternoon. My mother walked into the family printing shop, smiling, looking pretty after having her first haircut since her chemo treatment had left her bald. The hair was still very short but it was soft and downy, and she was grinning, happy to come in and show us her new hairstyle. After months of hiding under wigs and hats, my mother flittered around the shop with enthusiasm, being the funny, friendly and outgoing woman who had always drawn people into the shop just for a friendly chat, jokes included.

There are few days that I remember as well as that particular Friday. I remember the open door and a flash of bright green. I remember the sound of my mother’s laugh as I turned to see a bird perched on her new hairdo. The bird sitting on my mother’s head was incredibly out of place, not only on its matriarchal resting place, and inside the printing shop, but also in an industrial park in Ontario. The wild Canadian birds that we would see on the trees by the parking lot were never that colourful. They were brown, grey, white, sometimes blue jays or yellow finches, but never lime green with a bright orange beak. It must have been an escapee from someone’s private cage. I can still see it sitting on my mother’s head, not royal and graceful as some tropical birds can be, but cartoon-like with an overly cute pudginess. There was a sparkle in my mother’s eyes as the bird made himself comfortable in her newly coiffed nest of hair.

Am I remembering the day as it actually happened? Or are last moments seen through a magical lens? A long time after the shock of my mother’s death, I would spend time wondering if that bird had perhaps been sent to come and claim my mother, like a messenger from another world. I hope so, because I hope that my mother is in a place full of cute, pudgy, funny creatures, full of unexpected magic, just like her.

On Monday morning, two days after we had brought the bird to a wildlife center, the phone rang at the printing shop. My mother was not feeling well and was asking to be taken to the hospital. My father was busy. He wasn’t concerned. He was taking his time. I told him that I could take care of everything and that he could go right now, that he should go right now. Despite my frustration at him and my feelings of urgency, I was still unaware that every minute counted, that if I had made him leave earlier, or if he had not delayed, the day might have ended differently. It probably didn’t matter in the end, the four hours my mother waited in the emergency room, barely able to breathe, probably killed her, not the hour delay to get her there. But then again, maybe it did make the difference, maybe the first hour was the deciding one.

The nurse behind the desk was attractive, rosy-cheeked and blond. The look in her blue eyes made me feel like a nuisance as I asked to go in to see my dying mother. I must have interrupted her busy schedule with my untimely demand. I still have an aversion for emergency room nurses, especially blond ones with blue eyes. Inside the room, I could only stay for a quick visit. My mother couldn’t speak, she could barely breathe. As I was told I needed to leave the room, my mother struggled to sit up as best she could. Her dark eyes were open wide, aware and intense, penetrating the darkness of my eyes. Her soul was staring into my soul, she was taking in every last part of my being. I didn’t know that it would be the last time that I would look into my mother’s eyes, but she knew. I know that she knew. When I recall that moment it brings forth the reality of the space between life and death, the place of love and fear, gratitude and despair, strength and frailty.

Septic shock, I had never heard of the term before. I knew that a simple infection can end up being deadly, but you don’t delve into these types of subjects unless you feel you have to, when it’s too late. It starts simple and ends in shock. A weakened body can’t handle the poison travelling through the blood. The organs fail. The person dies. For the family, the process is reversed; the person dies, the organs fail, shock takes over, the poison flows and the body is weakened.

When I woke up the next morning I wondered if my heart and mind had transferred all their contents to my limbs, making them heavy and cumbersome. The weight I felt dragging down my body, my legs and my arms, was an uncomfortable contrast to the emptiness I felt inside. I went in to open up the shop at the regular time. I shared the news of my mother’s death with the employees, with family and friends, with the people she knew. I did everything that my empty mind and heart directed me to do, all so that my father wouldn’t have to. The next two years were spent the same way, my body dragging with the weight and my mind void of anything of mine except my sense of duty, but full of my father’s pain.

My father’s grief filled the shop. It filled my life. It filled the emptiness inside that had been created and left no room for my own grief. Unlike my grandmother who had reached out to her family for comfort and company when her spouse had died, my father isolated himself emotionally and retreated to a world of dark thoughts and self-pity that had no room for love and healing. My mother didn’t have a choice. She was taken away. My father chose to leave us behind in the world of the living.

The weight of my father’s pain filled up my mind and heart day by day so that my insides became just as heavy as my limbs. Every day I absorbed his pain, hoping that it would lighten his burden, hoping that I would see his shoulders lift up, his brow release and his mouth soften. I would live my days at the shop, with my father’s sorrow soaking the air and dragging down business. My evenings and weekends were spent at home trying to give a normal life to my two young sons. How can you tell what is normal when your insides are filled up with another person’s suffering? Was it normal to force a smile for my sons when I felt like it was a lie, like the makeup on a sad clown’s face? Perhaps the real lie wasn’t the smile but the stolen contents occupying my heart and mind. Since I had been powerless to save my mother, what made me believe that I had any more power to save my father, or even the right to do so if he didn’t want saving?

Two years after my mother’s death, my father had begun dating. I was still heavy from the accumulated feelings. He had met a woman and decided to take a trip to Europe with her. For two weeks I ran the shop by myself, and rushed home every night to do all the things that a mom needs to do. I barely had time to sleep before I had to be at the shop again the next morning. Through these two weeks I didn’t have time to think of hope, but it was there, somewhere in the background. I assumed that my father was having fun and that he was going to come back standing tall, smiling and relaxed. That is what kept me going as I dragged myself back and forth, everyday, dragging myself out of bed, dragging myself back home.

My father walked in after his trip looking despondent. Where was the happy relaxed person that I had expected? I was exhausted, I had done everything I possibly could to be his support system, to give of myself so that he could heal. I was drained and in shock, all of my efforts had been for naught.

I learned that the woman he had been travelling with had rejected his romantic advances. He was a jilted lover. I suppose I understood why he would be upset, but what I didn’t understand was why he couldn’t see the love that was surrounding him. It may not have been in the form that he wished, but it was love still, and one that gave and gave no matter how little came back.

The following Sunday was Father’s Day. I sat at mass and my mind began to fill up with thoughts about my dad. I couldn’t stop them from taking over, pressure built-up in my chest, my throat tightened painfully, and the tears began. I could see blurry movements, heads turning, bodies shuffling uncomfortably. Years of self-control came to an end in that moment and I had nowhere to hide. As quietly as I could, I let the tears flow softly, continuously. I had no more fight. I had failed. Like an addict that needs to go right to the bottom and face his demons straight on, I had reached the point where I had to see what I had really been doing. By trying to slowly syphon away my father’s emotional anguish I had really been creating more pain. What was now overflowing from my body had not been taken away from my father’s mental and visceral suffering but had been multiplied and recreated inside of me.

I walked out of church, tears still travelling on my face. I couldn’t drive home. My limbs were now barely functioning as my internal organs were coming back to life. I sat on a park bench and let my body rest as it emptied itself. I watched the birds floating across the clouds and the sun, landing on branches with ease. I imagined the tears carrying out all my weight so that I would become light enough to fly.

[MENTION=9809]La Sagna[/MENTION] - Hugs. Thank you for sharing.

When I worked in hospice care, I read a lot of Jung's writing on the soul and its immortality as I have never garnered much faith from the Bible (first or second testaments) or other spiritual texts that people tend to turn to. I also read about Buddhist interpretation of the life of the soul after death. In essence, I am pretty common in the fact that I look for reassurance that death is not the final parting of ways from our loved ones.

Reactions: Asa and Free
The people that I've known who have died have all been very old, lived their lives, had great times, etc. I also haven't been maybe as close to them. So I often used to think I was a horrible person because at funerals, here everyone's crying, and the only reason I'm sad is because everyone else is sad. And I tend to not cry at funerals. And I accidentally almost burst out laughing when I was walking in a... I don't know what their called: the family was walking into the room where everyone was and where the talks would be held (it was my grandmother). Anyway, I was thinking about how serious and ridiculous my grandmother would think it was and I nearly started laughing but managed only to grin... a few people met my eyes and I hope they didn't think I was being disrespectful.

When I was a kid adults used to use me as a teddy bear and would hug me and cry on me at funerals. I didn't mind but it's kind of odd when you don't know who they are.

However, when my baby bunny died suddenly, I was beside myself.