How do I develop my Fi? | INFJ Forum

How do I develop my Fi?

Jun 3, 2018
MBTI
It seems to me that it is only when I am in an intense environment with the ability to hone in on one subject at a time thrown out of the window - that I become totally objectifying and dehumanising. Whether or not I am uncomfortable or comfortable, I want to be able to be more of a pleasant and less spooking person.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the OP, but focussed development of a single function is dependent on a variety of factors. There are different strategies for each type, which also depend on health of the type, in addition to living situation, potential psychological issues and probably a number of other things.

Reactions: Lady Jolanda
Oh no, don't.

If you insist, just dwell on your feelings all day. Ignore the feelings of others. Snap at people who interrupt your brooding; ideally, you should neglect your children because you are so lost in yourself, you forget others exist.

Oh no, don't.

If you insist, just dwell on your feelings all day. Ignore the feelings of others. Snap at people who interrupt your brooding; ideally, you should neglect your children because you are so lost in yourself, you forget others exist.
Additionally, adopt the belief that having a feeling is an argument in and of itself. "Because muh feels" should become your de facto reason for doing anything and everything.

Additionally, adopt the belief that having a feeling is an argument in and of itself. "Because muh feels" should become your de facto reason for doing anything and everything.

And remember that your feelings are exceptionally complex and deep. Major in Psychology in college, because you want to understand more about yourself.

Factoid: A real Fi dom is neglectful

Oh yes. Remember that everyone else is shallow!

I don't want to shit on any Fi-doms, because I believe there must be non-selfish flavours of them. Just like there are selfish Fe-users. We shouldn't condemn a whole type (or two), just because we have had bad experiences.

But what Jo said is an unbelievably ignorant behaviour that is incondoneable.

cc1.jpg

Ya'll triggered.

But to answer, I guess by focusing on what is important to you or what you value and why. But you should challenge it and see if it's consistent and holds up irl. It's hard to explain, but maintaining inner harmony is something I think I focus on. When I was younger I was very focused on inconsistency or hypocrisy in myself between how I acted and how I felt or what I believed.

Also, if you are feeling strongly about something, analyze it to understand why you feel that way. Maybe listen to music or read poetry or watch a movie and think about how it makes you feel and then probe into that and let it branch out to other areas of life.

@amanda121287 I'm interested if you can provide an example of the type of situation where you think you become dehumanizing and objectifying in an intense situation.

I think maybe pausing and looking at the people you are dealing with in these situations as if they were you or a loved one and how you would expect to be treated or how a loved one should be treated in the situation might help.

Last edited:
I don't want to shit on any Fi-doms, because I believe there must be non-selfish flavours of them. Just like there are selfish Fe-users. We shouldn't condemn a whole type (or two), just because we have had bad experiences.

But what Jo said is an unbelievably ignorant behaviour that is incondoneable.

We're all generalizing, tongue-in-cheek, I think. Fi some are extremely insightful and loyalty. They really give themselves to close friends, and they are probably the most likely type to actually give their all, tirelessly. They are better therapists than most psychologists. My best friend is an INFP.

But the above is all conditional on their mood.

Because, in my many Fi experiences, they feelings come first. It also seems like their current emotional state sets the tone of the room. Brooding always makes people feel pleasant and comfortable, after all. It seems like they are fine with creating an atmosphere that reflects their
their current emotional state; it's as if their mental state should affect everyone around them. My mom and best friend both overwhelm the needs and feelings of the people they are comfortable with. Ti doms can seem cold, overly didactic, or simply like a computer spitting out facts. They don't like to hear that, but it is often true that they have a wealth of knowledge that is useless without intuition to assemble it all into a useful form.

So maybe Fi users really think exploring one's feelings is of paramount importance. I get that vibe. If their emotional state pollutes a room, well, so what. Feelings are important.

Last edited:
Why would you want to develop Fi? If you're an INFJ I suggest you don't.
Shadow functions never benefit anyone of any types, trust me. They're in the subconscious for a reason.

Fi for INFJs is called the critical parent, and its role is to keep INFJ's morality in check, something like a voice in the back of your head, like, are you good enough? is your intention pure? And it has a very punitive and judgmental nature, unlike Fi in Fi users, which benefit them, making them striving to be 'good' and content of who they are, not punishing them for not being good enough, like Fi in INFJs and ISFJs.

What @acd and @heartcore said.
Maybe the OP meant Fe?
If the OP is an INFJ developing Fi is not a good thing to do. Developing inferior functions is good, but not shadow functions. An INTJ would do OK developing Fi, and the ones I know who have are generous and kind.

INFP can seem more compassionate and empathetic that INFJs because Fi is first for them, and Fe is second for us. They use their own experiences and feelings to relate to others and show compassion and empathy. They also usually have a warmer manner. INFJs are more the type, that will say what you need to hear, even if you don't want to hear it, but will try to be really nice about it.

Here is a thread on shadow functions, that talks about the 'Critical Parent' Heartcore mentioned:
https://www.infjs.com/threads/the-shadows.34021/

Get a dog?

This is actually very good advice for people that do not have animals but wish to develop their Fi.

Even INTJs will turn into cuddly piles of goo when it comes to their precious canine or feline companions.

As an INTP, I still struggle to completely grok the merits of Fi. I do believe that theoretically healthy Fi creates true empathy rather than the forced harmony I've witnessed with Fe-types, but I have to confess that I am extremely biased as most of my Dominant Fi friends in life have not been there for me when I really needed them. My relationships with them always came back to them. I would get frustrated and think "do I really have to fucking show emotion to prove that I'm human and worthy of love?" I would say that I gave up on those relationships, but I am fairly certain that they gave up on them first.

I'm extremely jaded because of my past. I have not discounted the possibility that I will one day form a close bond with a strong-Fi type that will be equitable, however.

As an INTP, I still struggle to completely grok the merits of Fi. I do believe that theoretically healthy Fi creates true empathy rather than the forced harmony I've witnessed with Fe-types, but I have to confess that I am extremely biased as most of my Dominant Fi friends in life have not been there for me when I really needed them. My relationships with them always came back to them. I would get frustrated and think "do I really have to fucking show emotion to prove that I'm human and worthy of love?" I would say that I gave up on those relationships, but I am fairly certain that they gave up on them first.

I'm extremely jaded because of my past. I have not discounted the possibility that I will one day form a close bond with a strong-Fi type that will be equitable, however.

Interesting viewpoint. I have an INFP friend who has been there for me more times than I can count, and has helped me to understand

tenor.gif

in ways I never would've been able to otherwise.

Fi is kind of a weird function when viewed from without, but so are Ti and Ni (Si isn't so much). They're all so very individualized. This ensures that no one else can quite understand what the fuck you think is so important (again, with Si oftentimes there are demonstrable, experience-linked direct reasons for their values, so it doesn't quite count the same in this half-assed theory of mine).

I think Fi has a lot of value when it comes to tinkering with emotion and its underlying meanings, the same way Ti has value in tinkering with logic and finding new ways to look at things.