How did you feel when you found out you’re an INFJ? | INFJ Forum

How did you feel when you found out you’re an INFJ?

Hotaru

Jan 24, 2018
America
MBTI
INFJ
Recently, I’ve been so confused about my emotions and loneliness and sudden outbursts and everything. My boyfriend makes me feel like I’m crazy because I get upset with him but I can’t explain why I’m upset or why I get upset to such an extent, or why I bring up issues we discussed again 3 days later even though he thinks it’s already been resolved but to me, it’s not resolved or I’m still worried about it.
This week, I came across a video on YouTube about INFJs, and I had no clue what INFJs were, so I watched it out of curiosity and was shocked at how relatable it was. I’ve probably watched about 15-20 videos about INFJs since then, and took the test on 16 personalities which said I was an INFJ. I almost feel like I could cry because there are actually other people who can relate and have similar emotions to me. It’s somehow amazing and a relief to me. Kind of like “oh, so I’m not insane or extremely mentally unstable”... or maybe I am. but at least I’m not alone lol

Yeah it was comforting to me as well to know that there were others struggling in similar ways.

That said, I think some or most of your troubles are probably individual to you and your personal circumstances, so be vigilant in differentiating them.

I'm teetering on the fence wondering if I am an INFP/ INFJ (seems to be a lot of questions about the type). I was close to accepting I am some odd INFP/INTP combo until I returned to writing a story and developing what was a minor character into a major character.

I'm kind of crazy I guess, I like to make sure I "get" the personalities of my characters right, but I don't base them off the charts. I come up with their personalities, thought processes, first. That all just comes to me as I write, but at some point I start doubting, thinking they aren't realistic, then have to look up and do research. I take the test imagining myself as each of my characters.

One got ENFJ. Very fitting type, though he had lots of contradictory traits. I had to look that up and see if those contradictions were realistic... Then onto the next character who almost seemed to be an ENFJ but as I thought up what separated the characters I realized character 2 was more introverted. Cue searching the INFJ after the test confirmed that was his type. Then as I started looking up stuff about him, more of it seemed to click with me.

Then I came across people describing a "Ni Ti loop." of doom." and then wondered, could this very experience be a real life example of one? Then my second question was why am I experiencing this when I'm "supposed to be an "Fi, Ne, Te"? I looked that up and didn't see the INFP go down quite as far a rabbit hole as an INFJ. That led me to spending weeks questioning what makes a P vs J and if I really am truthful answering yes to "I like to keep my options open" Such questions on the test strike me as too general.

That has me wondering enough that maybe I'm mistyped just because I overthink all the questions.

Reactions: James and Hotaru
I've been struggling all my life with being misunderstood. And be it, what @Wyote said, that some troubles may be individual, it still seems to be at the heart of INFJs to feel deeper than other personality types. This can make communication with INTJs for example difficult, but from that difference can also be drawn a special energy of give and take, if both are actually open-minded enough.
But to answer your question, I also felt a sort of relief when finding out I was an INFJ. I could find some comfort in the description that, as you mentioned, did not put me in the "crazy box".

I've been struggling all my life with being misunderstood. And be it, what @Wyote said, that some troubles may be individual, it still seems to be at the heart of INFJs to feel deeper than other personality types. This can make communication with INTJs for example difficult, but from that difference can also be drawn a special energy of give and take, if both are actually open-minded enough.
But to answer your question, I also felt a sort of relief when finding out I was an INFJ. I could find some comfort in the description that, as you mentioned, did not put me in the "crazy box".

I think INFPs also feel things very deeply, but their introverted feeling might make it less visible to the eye. Glad to see you posting @RonjaRaeubertochter - I hope you're well :)

I almost feel like I could cry because there are actually other people who can relate and have similar emotions to me. It’s somehow amazing and a relief to me. Kind of like “oh, so I’m not insane or extremely mentally unstable”... or maybe I am. but at least I’m not alone lol

You are certainly not alone :) This forum is a great way to connect with people of your type, which is unfortunately so unlikely to happen in real life. Like @Wyote said, if you stick around you'll soon realise no two INFJs are the same, we've all got our own histories, temperaments and issues, yet we still find a way to connect, and that's what matters.

XW31JvP.png

Intrigued. I had no idea about anything. The snowflake status brought a lot of insecurity with it, as if I weren't insecure enough. But the more I learn about myself, and others, the more comfortable I get.

Intrigued. I had no idea about anything. The snowflake status brought a lot of insecurity with it, as if I weren't insecure enough. But the more I learn about myself, and others, the more comfortable I get.

980x.png

Kawaii-Special-Snowflake.png

Yes. And very destructive if you present it to newbies who take this seriously ;)

lolwut
also you aren't a newbie :smilingimp:

lolwut
also you aren't a newbie :smilingimp:
I know, that's why I didn't take it seriously. Although I was confused when I first saw it.

Edit: and thank you for saying this. I sometimes still get insecure when I think about the fact that I haven't known about the MBTI for very long.

Last edited:
Kind of like “oh, so I’m not insane or extremely mentally unstable”... or maybe I am. but at least I’m not alone lol

For me it was a relief, it explained a lot of things. Don't get too deep into it though, it's just a theory or mechanism for helping us understand ourselves and each other better imho.

Infj tend to be very artistic, but so are many other types. There are a lot of ways to connect with artistic people, this web forum for one.