the

Si master race.
Banned
Feb 17, 2009
MBTI
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
I hear a lot that public school is horrible because they brainwash you. How has public school brainwashed you or caused you to become one of the worlds sheep?

I disagree; i don't think it did.

They tied a bell around my neck and abandoned me in a field for a week every month, forcing me to eat nothing but grass and roots. There was also a dog that chased me around at different hours of the day.

Reactions: bionic
i wouldn't say brainwashed... more like conditioned me for the racket that is higher education :flock:

I was raised in an era when education was strictly standardized; there was little or no accounting for individual needs and differences. As US education advances people are realizing that if we don't account for the individual needs and differences of kids while setting standards, we become at risk of losing a great deal of talented individuals to a system that doesn't take into consideration the multitude of abilities and differences that make up each individual. To answer your question, I would have to say that US public schools tried to fit me into a standard mold that I didn't fit into, however, it also taught me the skills I needed to disagree with a faulty system and then work to change it and make it better.

tests and grades? Having standards blanketly applied to everyone ensuring someone along the way feels and/or is considered and treated like a failure if they are not able to measure up to the standard or not able to keep up and make the grade as everyone else? And that's not only in academics but also attitudes in social education are dominant in the school system. If you're not a social success, then you can't be a real success in today's world is a dominant belief which we are taught to accept as true.

They didn't explain to me the socialization aspect and the teaching aspect of just being in the class, working on things, following instructions, and just conforming in general. I didn't get it. Didn't understand that was the entire point.

I'd have perfect test scores but not study or turn any homework in. They found this to be unacceptable but would not explain why - it was "just because". I don't do "just because". Explain it, or else. They could have explained it, but didn't. I figured it out myself later.

tests and grades? Having standards blanketly applied to everyone ensuring someone along the way feels and/or is considered and treated like a failure if they are not able to measure up to the standard or not able to keep up and make the grade as everyone else? And that's not only in academics but also attitudes in social education are dominant in the school system. If you're not a social success, then you can't be a real success in today's world is a dominant belief which we are taught to accept as true.

*offers you a small hug and a share shoulder for you head*

Reactions: Gaze

i think you'd be hard-pressed to make an effective system without some kind of quantifiable benchmarks however. They may be a necessary evil.

Schools, all in all, they're just another brick in the wall.

Socialization, whether by school or family/parents is always about instilling a specific set of patterns and acceptable behavior. I'm with [MENTION=3998]niffer[/MENTION] , life is brainwashing.

Boy howdy, this topic of discussion.

space reserved for future rant

Would you all just stop? You learn how to read, how to use math in your life, how the world was made (big bang, evolution) and it even gave you a bit of history to go! If you didn't listen, then whose fault is that? Need I remind you how many never even had the chance to sit at a school table around this world?!

Reactions: #@&5&49
Would you all just stop? You learn how to read, how to use math in your life, how the world was made (big bang, evolution) and it even gave you a bit of history to go! If you didn't listen, then whose fault is that? Need I remind you how many never even had the chance to sit at a school table around this world?!
Need I remind you that sitting around a school table isn't the only place to learn things and that those thing you learn sitting around a table aren't the best things to learn anyway? Come on, to even have an opinion about being "entitled" is to be entitled. Those that aren't entitled, don't have the luxury, more often than not, to bemoan their fate, they are too busy trying to survive.

Need I remind you that sitting around a school table isn't the only place to learn things and that those thing you learn sitting around a table aren't the best things to learn anyway?

What does that have to do with anything? It's a system where you get to learn how to spell (hello!) and get the tools to do with you life what you wish. If you learn it by sitting in a circle and meditating while holding hands, that's fine by me! As long as you learn it, and I think that public schools are an excellent way of learning the basic things in life. Are they perfect? Hell no, but they're a lot better than you're all making them out to be!

Come on, to even have an opinion about being "entitled" is to be entitled. Those that aren't entitled, don't have the luxury, more often than not, to bemoan their fate, they are too busy trying to survive.

This made no sense what so ever. How am I entitled when I'm offering the perspective to those billions of people that don't have the chance to get the basic skills that you're currently bemoaning about getting? Get a clue.

What does that have to do with anything? It's a system where you get to learn how to spell (hello!) and get the tools to do with you life what you wish. If you learn it by sitting in a circle and meditating while holding hands, that's fine by me! As long as you learn it, and I think that public schools are an excellent way of learning the basic things in life. Are they perfect? Hell no, but they're a lot better than you're all making them out to be!

This made no sense what so ever. How am I entitled when I'm offering the perspective to those billions of people that don't have the chance to get the basic skills that you're currently bemoaning about getting? Get a clue.
You don't even know how funny this is. I'll use little words. So you are taking people to task with the "starving children in Ethiopia" lament--don't you know that there are *sniff, sob* kids who don't have the ability to GO to school, so don't bash what you have. My response is "please mutha, you are acting like such an entitled ass don't you know your argument is specious and shows your ignorance by assuming that those who didn't go to a traditional school may not have been shortchanged" response. Of course, I should add, that education is a valuable tool. My response to the "brainwashing" OP is still that socialization in any form is brainwashing.

Last edited:
Oh yea, I should probably toss in the "this is a freaking forum and is meant to open dialogue, not suppress it" and "people are entitled to criticize whatever they want" (even you, by golly!) vibe.

I was raised in an era when education was strictly standardized; there was little or no accounting for individual needs and differences. As US education advances people are realizing that if we don't account for the individual needs and differences of kids while setting standards, we become at risk of losing a great deal of talented individuals to a system that doesn't take into consideration the multitude of abilities and differences that make up each individual. To answer your question, I would have to say that US public schools tried to fit me into a standard mold that I didn't fit into, however, it also taught me the skills I needed to disagree with a faulty system and then work to change it and make it better.

I can totally relate to this.
I always tested in the top percentile, but wasn't the best at the day to day work. They kept telling my parents that since I was scoring so well on tests, the problem was I wasn't putting in any effort. Which confused me since I felt I really was trying.

In the end it made me turn against the system, rebel, and ultimately drop out.

Reactions: #@&5&49
I'll use little words...... your argument is specious.....
you just can't help yourself.

btw, 'Raymond Shaw is the kindest, warmest, bravest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life, and even now I feel that way - this minute