How are you when it comes to writing academic papers? | INFJ Forum

How are you when it comes to writing academic papers?

Night Owl

This Bird Has Flown
Apr 9, 2016
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Never
Perhaps some questions to consider:

Are you speedy and efficient? Or do you take ages to write an essay?

A last minute kind of soul? Or do you get right in there?

What do you like or dislike about writing academic papers?

I'm a postgraduate student finishing my degree now, I'm excellent at assignment work and get high distinction grades. But I wasn't always good at it. I used to think it was a matter of saying something profound and everything else would follow, now I realise how wrong that was. It's a matter of going through a process, meeting assessable criteria, and doing exactly what the instructor says to do. That gets an easy distinction. When I've done all that, the profound statement follows naturally, and that's what gets the high distinction.

The best trick I learned is making thorough but condensed notes of the scholarly literature while reading. I make plenty of time to thrash through masses of reading. I can write excellent notes that summarise and make sense of the literature. Then when it comes time to write the literature review all I have to do is look at my notes, everything is already in my own words and I just polish it up. I never need to look at the actual literature ever again. It makes things so much easier. There is really no overestimating the value of comprehending and competently discussing the published scholarly literature in writing successful academic work.

I think that a good last minute paper is impossible. All that matters is the process. Maybe some people can put that process into a few hours the day before, but I don't really believe it. The process takes time because the necessary thought gets done while not actually doing the project. If not impossible, I think at least it's impracticable. It's an unsustainable practice. The only way it's sustainable is for someone such as an industry veteran who is already very familiar with the material. Even then, good luck. I have slaughtered industry veterans in grades because they thought they knew it all and could do everything at the last minute, but they were wrong. So... my advice is to start early.

I hate everything about writing academic papers. I just absolutely hate it. But I don't care about that. My life has been shitty and miserable. All I care about is having a better future, and that propels me through the drudgery of reading and writing for my degree.

Last edited:
@invisible I've been wanting to respond to this for some time now, and to make comment in regards to your post.

I also totally despise academic papers on one level. Yet on another level I quite enjoy the process and the feeling of having finished. I thoroughly enjoy referencing and formatting. What kills me though, is an overly strict word count. When for example, a penalty is placed on going any more than 50 words outside the limit, it is actually one of the most frustrating things to me. I can be brief and concise when necessary, but am never a fan of brevity almost for the sake of it - when it comes to the point of compromising thoroughness. It seems to turn writing a paper into a game - with 50% of my time spent trying to streamline text. I find a 10% over or above the word limit more reasonable. I must admit though, I am on the extreme of length, since if I know a teacher is happy for any length, provided its a good and interesting paper, I'll go to town. I.e. Once I wrote an 8,000 word paper for what was supposed to be 2,000 (2,000? I always thought 3,000 should be the minimum!).

Like yourself - and I've read a few articles that seem to indicate it is a trait shared by many who associate with the INFJ description - I carry out extensive research into whatever topic I will be writing on. I just cannot write something that, 1) I do not believe to be true, 2) I do not value, and 3) have no idea about. I'll spend hours and hours reading over various articles on the topic and related issues. Less so, if it's an area I'm embedded in - but even then. I am not so pragmatic however, that I can get all my research out of the way before writing. As I learn and develop my ideas as I write, and thus I am continually researching whilst I write.

I have tended to fall into the category of being 'a last minute Larry'. Yet the difference between myself and other last minute folks, is that I will spend way longer in writing. I used to spend almost 48 hours writing, with a bit of sleep. In fact I take way longer in writing than do many who start early. I really do take a long time to write papers. Longer than anyone I've known. Now I'm a bit better. I'll start at a reasonable time, and have my paper finished a day or two before - which is early for me!

I also wonder about those who can just churn out a draft. When it comes to writing on a word processor I edit as I write, and am constantly adjusting things, so that by the time I've finished the conclusion, it's basically my final copy. For academic papers I feel restricted, and so no matter what I cannot just type and go for it, as I do in other mediums - I must reference as I go, and edit. I do think such restrictions help one in many ways. But it's not something that I enjoy!

@invisible I've been wanting to respond to this for some time now, and to make comment in regards to your post.

I also totally despise academic papers on one level. Yet on another level I quite enjoy the process and the feeling of having finished. I thoroughly enjoy referencing and formatting. What kills me though, is an overly strict word count. When for example, a penalty is placed on going any more than 50 words outside the limit, it is actually one of the most frustrating things to me. I can be brief and concise when necessary, but am never a fan of brevity almost for the sake of it - when it comes to the point of compromising thoroughness. It seems to turn writing a paper into a game - with 50% of my time spent trying to streamline text. I find a 10% over or above the word limit more reasonable. I must admit though, I am on the extreme of length, since if I know a teacher is happy for any length, provided its a good and interesting paper, I'll go to town. I.e. Once I wrote an 8,000 word paper for what was supposed to be 2,000 (2,000? I always thought 3,000 should be the minimum!).

Like yourself - and I've read a few articles that seem to indicate it is a trait shared by many who associate with the INFJ description - I carry out extensive research into whatever topic I will be writing on. I just cannot write something that, 1) I do not believe to be true, 2) I do not value, and 3) have no idea about. I'll spend hours and hours reading over various articles on the topic and related issues. Less so, if it's an area I'm embedded in - but even then. I am not so pragmatic however, that I can get all my research out of the way before writing. As I learn and develop my ideas as I write, and thus I am continually researching whilst I write.

I have tended to fall into the category of being 'a last minute Larry'. Yet the difference between myself and other last minute folks, is that I will spend way longer in writing. I used to spend almost 48 hours writing, with a bit of sleep. In fact I take way longer in writing than do many who start early. I really do take a long time to write papers. Longer than anyone I've known. Now I'm a bit better. I'll start at a reasonable time, and have my paper finished a day or two before - which is early for me!

I also wonder about those who can just churn out a draft. When it comes to writing on a word processor I edit as I write, and am constantly adjusting things, so that by the time I've finished the conclusion, it's basically my final copy. For academic papers I feel restricted, and so no matter what I cannot just type and go for it, as I do in other mediums - I must reference as I go, and edit. I do think such restrictions help one in many ways. But it's not something that I enjoy!

I'm going to be brutal and bluntly disagree with everything that you've written. Take it or leave it, but don't get hurt feelings, this is intended as food for thought for you.

The reason why there are word limits on papers is because teachers have masses of marking to do, and because it costs money to pay a teacher, and because teachers are overworked and need rest. Reading and marking is very time and energy intensive. If the word limit is 2000 and you're writing 8000, they could grade the work of over 4 students in the time it takes to read and grade yours.

You should be able to answer the question in the word limit. If not, you're introducing too much digression that is irrelevant to the question. I went 1,500 words over the limit in my postgraduate thesis. I was fearful and nailbiting, but I worked on a data sample of 599 forum posts made over a 3 month period, and wrote a comprehensive literature review of at least 20 academic papers, and simply could not write less. The word limit for my paper was 5000. This is a major research project to qualify me for a postgrad degree, which I submitted to an internationally active tenured academic.

If you're spending a lot of time editing and formatting. Firstly, consider learning a citation manager like EndNote. Secondly, use the headings auto formats that are built into MS Word and other processors to create your document structure. Thirdly, quit wasting your time on this pointless fiddling.

With your numbered list, I can't say how entirely different my motives are in writing a paper. I can happily write a paper on something I don't value. This is university, not a hobby or special personal interest, and all that matters is grades. I don't care about a single other thing. And why should I? The assignment set and grading system is designed both to teach me what I need to learn, and to reward my efforts in trying hard enough to learn it that I can submit a paper that demonstrates how I have met assessment criteria. Teachers spend countless hours writing a syllabus and constructing assessment tasks in order to pass knowledge on to me. Being a good student involves assessable performance.

Let me put all this in perspective. While in undergraduate literature, I wrote a brilliant, class-topping paper on the medievalist poetry of William Morris. It is now sitting in a drawer, where it will remain for the rest of my life. When I die, it will be recycled or sent to landfill.

Getting a degree is not your life's work. It's a means to an end.

If you are saying that you are spending 48 hours writing an undergraduate paper, I am horrified. That is far too long. Gruelling, exhausting, and sure to lead to burnout. Do your reading and write your thoughts on your question as you are reading, then compile them in the word processor, then all you need to do is put everything in order and edit, getting rid of stuff that doesn't make sense. Don't agonise over this, it isn't worth it. Just have a system. This is called thrashing out a draft and will allow you spare time to pursue your genuine personal interests, as well as to relax and rest.

Please know, I truly understand where you are coming from. I believe in your learning process, and want you to learn. It's just that I've been in and out of university for 15 years and I'm just trying to give you a different perspective on this.

When I first started undergrad, it took me like 3 days to write a 15 page paper. Maybe 5 pages per day. By the time I was a senior, I wrote 15 page papers in one sitting with a few hours to spare that day. It is something that you can get better at if you do it a lot (i.e. if you major in philosophy and take 3-5 classes with 4-5 essays each every semester). Some weeks, I had to write over 100 pages.

I am a procrastinator in general- like my car's windshield has had a spreading crack for weeks that has not been fixed. But when it comes to academic papers, I would force myself not to procrastinate because I hated all-nighters, so I would plan my entire semester the first week and often do things a couple weeks in advance to balance out my workload. That is some serious J type for you.

I dislike having to put up with bullshit from professors. That is it really. Writing academic papers can sometimes be fun if your professor is sane.

When I first started undergrad, it took me like 3 days to write a 15 page paper. Maybe 5 pages per day. By the time I was a senior, I wrote 15 page papers in one sitting with a few hours to spare that day. It is something that you can get better at if you do it a lot (i.e. if you major in philosophy and take 3-5 classes with 4-5 essays each every semester). Some weeks, I had to write over 100 pages.

I am a procrastinator in general- like my car's windshield has had a spreading crack for weeks that has not been fixed. But when it comes to academic papers, I would force myself not to procrastinate because I hated all-nighters, so I would plan my entire semester the first week and often do things a couple weeks in advance to balance out my workload. That is some serious J type for you.

I dislike having to put up with bullshit from professors. That is it really. Writing academic papers can sometimes be fun if your professor is sane.
I would plan my entire semester the first week and often do things a couple weeks in advance to balance out my workload. That is some serious J type for you.
Me too...once I had my syllabus in my hand I'd get all the papers and speeches done within the first week and then shelve them until close to turn in time, and then write revisions. I was same about reading intensive courses...I'd read all the lessons in the course, then go back and skim key points then write target questions. Made study/test taking much easier. Was proud to graduate 3/10ths shy of a 4.0 (I refused to go to psych or sociology class and only showed for quizzes & tests).-:p

What I didn't know is that's "J" in my personality??

@invisible. I very much appreciate your words of advice. You help outline to me the importance of a word count limit from the other side of the fence - I should keep that in mind more often. Admittedly, 50 words I've struggled with, 100 up or down I prefer, but ultimately whatever the professor sets, they have set, and one has to abide by that out of respect insofar as possible. I have had only two lecturers who had no concern about word count in the slightest, so I took them up on that (they were the rare exception); but indeed, even then it's good, as you point out, to keep in mind they have other papers to mark. I used to spend 48 hours on papers when I was an undergrad, but now my process is a lot more healthy and I haven't burnt out like I once did in my undergrad.

Still, I take relatively long to write, and it's not so much time spent on formatting (that's quick with the processes you mentioned), but simply editing of my writing as I go along, yet namely thinking, and albeit additional research which is needed when unplanned and new connections are made whilst I am writing. I tend to be like this in a lot of things, and although I believe I can hone certain faults in this method and must try to, for the most part I'm happy with it, even though it seems ridiculous for some, it's at a point where it seems to work well for me, without the need for burning the midnight candle. I can only imagine I'll become more efficient and learn additional skills as further studies are undertaken as mentioned by yourself and @Dragon - so long as I remain aware of shortcomings and open to learning from mistakes and from others. It's helpful to hear from people who've been in the system for ages. Merci :)

Edit, add:

With your numbered list, I can't say how entirely different my motives are in writing a paper. I can happily write a paper on something I don't value. This is university, not a hobby or special personal interest, and all that matters is grades. I don't care about a single other thing. And why should I? The assignment set and grading system is designed both to teach me what I need to learn, and to reward my efforts in trying hard enough to learn it that I can submit a paper that demonstrates how I have met assessment criteria. Teachers spend countless hours writing a syllabus and constructing assessment tasks in order to pass knowledge on to me. Being a good student involves assessable performance.

Oh, it seems we had a misunderstanding on this point. Yet that was due to my poor expression, when I said, I can only write on something I value. You see for me, no matter what topic I write on, even in a unit I do not like, I will value whatever topic I am discussing at hand, and will find a way to make it meaningful. It's just that I cannot write unless I see the meaning in the topic, the paper and my studies at hand. A meaning which can always be found. I did not mean that I only write and put my best efforts into what content suits me. I agree, writing papers is for the benefit of learning, and therein lies most of the value. I'm not studying to be entertained, but to learn. So I agree with you here.

Last edited:
When I was young, I was in love and writing papers was like torture. As I became more mature and figured out how to put my emotions aside while writing, it got much better and I was able to use my logical side to organize an argument.

Now, I can write almost anything worthy of presenting in a relatively short time. Booyah!

@Night Owl did you write your paper or did you procrastinate on here lol?

Haha. I can't remember exactly what was happening last month when I made the thread, but I'm pretty sure it may have been just before or just after finishing a short paper. Did I procrastinate on here? I most certainly did. If I know I can get away with x amount of procrastinating time, I'll do it. But once the ball is rolling, I'm (mostly) unstoppable!

giphy.gif

P.S. In regards to your post. Oh yah. Love and/or infatuation kills grades.

I always follow this type of process. Write everything out carefully, plan it all ahead of time, and go into uneccessary even potentially ridiculous detail. Save it, back it up. Don't actually send it or print it out. At the last minute, check it out, have a last minute panic and attempt to re-write the whole thing.

At some point, stop and realize the original draft was fine (it had already been re-drafted about 4 times anyway) and decide to use it as per plan. Try to print it out and spend agonizing time trying to get the printer to connect to PC. Finally get printer/paper or email etc to work. Experience great relief.

Read the paper again, notice one small error. Experience hugely disproportionate regret. Slowly realise that @Asa above post may have contained some irony.

@James - No irony. I was being blunt. I just didn't have anything else to say because admitting a talent was embarrassing.

To me this places you in the "elite" among INFJ's. You should not be embarrassed by your talents, but being an INFJ there is probably no way not to be.

To me this places you in the "elite" among INFJ's. You should not be embarrassed by your talents, but being an INFJ there is probably no way not to be.
Elite? Bwahahahaha!
It is common for INFJs to be talented writers.

Elite? Bwahahahaha!
It is common for INFJs to be talented writers.

we are though usually not strong "J" types, and have a tendency to over perfectionism ? if you have fought and slayed those demons, kudos. As you can probably guess, I have not. One day.. I will get there.

Slaying the demons of perfectionism should be its own thread because that will be a lengthy discussion many of us will likely contribute to. Honestly, perfectionism cripples much of my productivity, but with some subjects, such as academic papers, I was good at submitting the work 'unfinished'. (- Finished, but without reaching my expectations.)

Leonardo da Vinci is credited as having said,
"Art is never finished, only abandoned."

Years before I read that quote I had the same point of view, and I still do. Obviously this is unverified, but da Vinci is sometimes placed in the INFJ category. His perfectionist attitude probably contributes. Now, he would be INFJ 'elite'. <3

Quick.
I jump in it.

Professors want me to say more, no, I said enough.

I'd say I'm more slow but efficient because I'm always perusing and editing the sentences as I go rather after I finish the paper :D Not so much a last minute kind of soul but I definitely do torture myself and do that sometimes. What I like about writing academic papers is that I learn more from them than actual lecture content, but what I hate most of all is referencing especially in scientific articles. It's such a nuisance figuring out what style referencing the course wants, and then writing it out and double checking it. My University is very strict about that :(((