[PAX] - High schooler expelled and facing criminal charges for public "hot-or-not" ranking list. | INFJ Forum

[PAX] High schooler expelled and facing criminal charges for public "hot-or-not" ranking list.

Griffin

Community Member
Nov 19, 2010
MBTI
Enneagram
I did a quick search through the "news and politics" subforum and didn't find anything, but I may be mistaken, feel free to merge the relevant parts of my post if I am.

Oak Park River Forest High School Investigates List Ranking Girls on Facebook

Updated: Monday, 17 Jan 2011, 7:20 PM CST
Published : Monday, 17 Jan 2011, 2:56 PM CST
Sun-Times Media Wire
Oak Park, Ill. - A four-page list ranking 50 Oak Park-River Forest High School girls by their physical attributes and alleged promiscuity angered parents and students, who have filed police complaints and called for action from the school

It's kind of a crap thing to do; the funny thing is, though, the CREATOR of facebook (the place where this incident was published) did the same thing in his lead up to the idea of facebook itself. In his case, though, he did it anonymously (that is the women were) and made no comments about any of them.

From Slutwalk Blog

On January 24th, 2011, a representative of the Toronto Police gave shocking insight into the Force’s view of sexual assault by stating: “women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimized”.

As the city’s major protective service, the Toronto Police have perpetuated the myth and stereotype of ‘the slut’, and in doing so have failed us. With sexual assault already a significantly under-reported crime, survivors have now been given even less of a reason to go to the Police, for fear that they could be blamed. Being assaulted isn’t about what you wear; it’s not even about sex; but using a pejorative term to rationalize inexcusable behaviour creates an environment in which it’s okay to blame the victim.

Historically, the term ‘slut’ has carried a predominantly negative connotation. Aimed at those who are sexually promiscuous, be it for work or pleasure, it has primarily been women who have suffered under the burden of this label. And whether dished out as a serious indictment of one’s character or merely as a flippant insult, the intent behind the word is always to wound, so we’re taking it back. “Slut” is being re-appropriated.

We are tired of being oppressed by slut-shaming; of being judged by our sexuality and feeling unsafe as a result. Being in charge of our sexual lives should not mean that we are opening ourselves to an expectation of violence, regardless if we participate in sex for pleasure or work. No one should equate enjoying sex with attracting sexual assault.

We are a movement demanding that our voices be heard. We are here to call foul on our Police Force and demand change. We want Toronto Police Services to take serious steps to regain our trust. We want to feel that we will be respected and protected should we ever need them, but more importantly be certain that those charged with our safety have a true understanding of what it is to be a survivor of sexual assault — slut or otherwise.

We are tired of speeches filled with lip service and the apologies that accompany them. What we want is meaningful dialogue and we are doing something about it: WE ARE COMING TOGETHER. Not only as women, but as people from all gender expressions and orientations, all walks of life, levels of employment and education, all races, ages, abilities, and backgrounds, from all points of this city and elsewhere.

We are asking you to join us for SlutWalk, to make a unified statement about sexual assault and victims’ rights and to demand respect for all. Whether a fellow slut or simply an ally, you don’t have to wear your sexual proclivities on your sleeve, we just ask that you come. Any gender-identification, any age. Singles, couples, parents, sisters, brothers, children, friends. Come walk or roll or strut or holler or stomp with us. This has become a global movement, with Satellites happening all over the world. See if there’s one in your city.

Join us in our mission to spread the word that those who experience sexual assault are not the
ones at fault, without exception.

We are currently working on the next steps for SlutWalk Toronto, and SlutWalk as an umbrella for a global support system. Check out what we’ve got planned for the rest of the year. You can also chime in on our Facebook Page, where hundreds of conversations are taking place.

I saw this the other day regarding Slutwalks in protest of how a police officer echoed a sentiment that a female's attire was the reason for sexual assault. I think that the thrust of the problem is the outdated ideals regarding being female and a sexual being. In general, American culture is very much adolescent with a snicker and snigger attitude about sexuality.

It's kind of a crap thing to do; the funny thing is, though, the CREATOR of facebook (the place where this incident was published) did the same thing in his lead up to the idea of facebook itself. In his case, though, he did it anonymously (that is the women were) and made no comments about any of them.

This news story did remind me of "The Social Network," that movie about the creation of Facebook, but I didn't know how much of that was true or not, so I erred on the side of caution with putting it in the OP. Good movie though, way better than I thought it would be.

I think that the thrust of the problem is the outdated ideals regarding being female and a sexual being. In general, American culture is very much adolescent with a snicker and snigger attitude about sexuality.

I agree, and think it has a lot to do with how taboo the topic of sexuality is in America. Especially for those in high school and around that age, it's got that "forbidden fruit" allure whne it comes to discussing it and judging others.

The list, which was posted on Facebook and then printed and distributed at the high school Friday afternoon, features the names of each girl and graphic references to their alleged sexual behavior and other salacious personal information.

After distributing the fliers to other male students Friday afternoon, the author walked to the student center, where he addressed an impromptu gathering, student sources said.
In a loud voice he railed against women, accusing them of

Kid deserved the expulsion, and could probably be sued for emotional damages in a civil case, but yeah...as much as it repulses me I don't see how it's criminal. What a fucked up thing to do, and kids gobble this stuff up when it's not about them.

This news story did remind me of "The Social Network," that movie about the creation of Facebook, but I didn't know how much of that was true or not, so I erred on the side of caution with putting it in the OP. Good movie though, way better than I thought it would be.

=3'

He WAS nicer about it... but still, it's kind of a weird repeat of history to a degree

This story really fascinates me. From a legal standpoint, it seems that it is okay for kids to vocally gossip about these kinds of things, but if you choose to print it instead, then you're as good as fucked. Also, whatever happened to free speech in this country? *gets a phone call* oh... I see... so he wasn't rich? Oh, okay. S'cool, we get it *hangs up*. I think the expulsion was partially justified since it was based on school rules, but that the law shouldn't be involved. Just as the boy who published the list is responsible for his actions, those who chose to read it are responsible for their actions and reactions to the list. Kids, the little drama mamas they are these days, need to learn that they can ignore and overcome the stigma from stupid things like this. Really, though, I don't see this happening in our culture in the foreseeable future, as kids still manage to make high school a terrible time for their fellow students. It's a shame that they're too stupid/blinded by hormones/what have you to understand that most of their drama and suffering is not caused by the institution, but rather by the students.

What an ass. He doesn't deserve criminal charges for being an ass though, expulsion would have been sufficient.

=3'

He WAS nicer about it... but still, it's kind of a weird repeat of history to a degree
Zuckerberg got the better end of the deal apparently :p He was a little classier about it though,
I've always thought public opinion determining 'hotness' was weird, especially lists like these that assign a number like it's a scientifically measurable thing.

The list, which was posted on Facebook and then printed and distributed at the high school Friday afternoon, features the names of each girl and graphic references to their alleged sexual behavior and other salacious personal information.

Libel

Oh my ... bad taste indeed. I don't know if it's criminal but it is nasty and the guy needs to grow up.

Australia has a very open attitude about sexuality in many ways but there is a lot of sexism here and it is very overt. We are an egalitarian society supposedly but the same outdated attitudes towards women and how they look exist here too.

I did recently stumble across a rather offensive post which allowed you to rate yourself for hotness in the date market. The guy did one for men as well. I didn't know what to think about it. If anyone is interested, I'll post the link to both. I didn't even bother doing the quiz as I'm over 40 and that is almost approaching Invisible status. =)

*facepalm*

this is..
...-A-

On one hand, this feels very nasty and wicked,

But on the other hand....is this based on truth? If it is..I'm confused. This..what...... I wondered if the alleged promiscuity wasn't there, will it just be another famewhoring attempt, another listing attempt?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm sure that the kid in question is a total douchebag for publicly singling out a select group of students with names like "designated drunk," but I feel like criminal charges goes too far. Furthermore, while I echo the sentiments of the father wanting to protect his daughter, I definitely disagree with more charges for what amounts to a public representation of what people like this guy already do anyway, as douchey as it was. Civil charges, maybe, but I staunchly oppose jailtime for this, it could royally screw up his chances at a future if you trap him in the system.

That's just my opinion though, what do you all think?

It might appear extreme but objectively this is no different than if he'd produced published material alledging the same, or circulated that material to potential employers and others, including potential predatory individuals in the community, if he'd written letters to employers he knew people were interviewing with stating "the following individuals have alcohol problems" or written to individuals with a history of violence or rape "the following individulas are sluts" would it be any different?

The internet makes it affordable and easy to do that sort of thing, so it can seem less serious because its more common and people place themselves in the position of the douche who probably thought they were funny or doing nothing wrong, instead they should be putting themselves in the position of the victim or potential victims.

I can sympathise that this is probably a young person who has been a dick but they are governed by the same laws as adults when they reach the age of criminal responsibility in their community, that's it and if you've not developed consequential thinking by that age you could well be screwed for being immature, them's the breaks.

Personally I dont think anyone should be messing with the net, even mobile phones some of the things they can do, until they are mature, just like not everyone is allowed to drive at any age legally. Its unenforceable though.