alice144

Community Member
Jun 17, 2011
MBTI
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Dear infjs,

What kind of high school did you go to? What did you learn there? What do you wish you had learned there?

I like to believe I had a unique high school experience.

I went to a college-prep school with a 30% acceptance rate based on grades and extra-curricular activities like sports. It was all boys and we had a lot of really tough sports programs. So I was surrounded by a lot of great athletes. I'll name some of the famous people I went to school with; Natalie Coughlin (she went to our sister school), Maurice Jones-Drew of the Jaguars, Jackie Bates of the Kansas City Chiefs (I used to write raps with him in chemistry class), DJ Williams of the Denver Broncos, Matt Gutierrez of the Patriots, lots of very very rich families (like the Morgans), my old crush currently dances on Glee, her sister who I was also very close with danced for Britney and Madonna, the kid that just dove for the United States in the Olympics, the music group Hardnox, etc. etc... and that's only the tip of the ice burg. My high school mostly has a good reputation for American football, in fact John Madden did a documentary on ESPN about us and we have a movie about our football team. Joe Montana's kid went to our school but left because he couldn't make the line up, that's how sick our football program is.

I was a wrestler at the school and got to be the team captain. It was a fun and amazing experience. I got to compete at a high level in what I believe is the toughest sport in the world (besides MMA). I formed a very close relationship with all my training partners and to this day we are all like brothers. We all help coach the high school now, driving kids to tournaments, teaching moves etc.. And even if we don't talk for a long time, we know we can call each other any time for support. Not very many people can say that about their high school friends at 26. Also I have a very close relationship with my high school wrestling coach. In fact I fear getting in trouble with him more than my own parents sometimes. He also coached my brother too... now I'm getting all emotional thinking about my coach. The coolest thing about my high school was the concept of brotherhood. The concept was constantly engrained in our heads throughout the 4 years by teachers, but our struggles as athletes are what made it a reality. I remember being so hungry and so tired and so thirsty, and I remember knowing that my training partner was even more hungry and more tired than I was. But we continued to push each other through each practice and we survived, that experience created a bond that is truly unique.

There were also things I didn't like about it. I didn't like knowing that I was in a skewed population of people. I was always curious what regular high schools were like. I think I even made subconscious efforts to hang around public school kids more because I wanted to know what that world was like. I also sometimes think I worked too hard when I was young because now I have to work hard just to be average.

Reactions: CindyLou
I learned maths, sciences, and french inside the classroom.
Outside of the classroom, I learned that there are people who care.
I also learned a little bit about myself.
I wish I had learned more about how to make friends, how to communicate in an empowering manner, the value of being introspective, the value of sensitivity, what it means to be a mature individual, the role of feelings, healthy relationships (of all types), and stuff like that.
No school is perfect, but I do believe I was fortunate with where I went to school and also with my experiences.

These questions seem very specific. Do you mind me asking why you ask, alice?

I went to a regular school, nothing particularly special. I hated it. I found it to be boring, very oppressive, not inovative. I couldn't stand psychologically to transfer elsewhere.
I was bullied by a teacher for year. Everybody hated me because I stood up for myself. Chickens thought it would alter their notes. I was avoided like a plague for a while. It was a hell for me that I had to endure.

We had to study everything and couldn't choose between the subjects. I had straight A's from the primary school to the highschool. Well, I had one B+. Was always pushed by my parents and the teachers alike to perform better, B's were the end of the world for them.
My interest on the subject depended on the teachers a lot. Many of them disliked me because I had my own opinions (which were not encouraged). Some of them were plain mean and didn't explain anything on the subject matters. No Internet, so hours were spent in the library (no copy machines there!) and then the teacher says your work is shit because "other students won't get it".

I was the only missing one at the graduation party. I made a mohawk for the event and wasn't allowed to enter looking like that :lol:
I could write forever. I don't have great warm memories. I was a loner. Went to all these competitions I didn't care for (something like spelling bee in the USA, and other tests), won something anyway and was hated anyway. Nah... Burn out and no wish to learn for two years. And I wish a bit of freedom to express myself creatively.

I loved my first literature teacher! The only beam of light in that tunnel.

Reactions: Duffy
"All in all, you're just another brick in the wall."
I went to a public school of about 1500 students. Class of 1979.
Other than on a social level, High School was not a positive experience.

I found the curriculum lacking in challenge, and therefore my grades suffered. Once you start that downward spiral, it's near impossible to get motivated again. And I was a mostly A & B student up to that point.

They used to tell me that I wasn't putting in any effort. My standard reply was that it was the school system that wasn't putting in any effort to make it's offerings intellectually stimulating and relevant. I'm bored!
Seemed to me we were for the most part just re-hashing what we were taught the previous 3 years in Junior High. "Ummm...Am I experiencing deja vu? Or, did we do this before?"

There were a couple of classes that were the exception, but I give full credit to those teachers that made it great.
Others were just bureaucrats putting in their time. They were bored too.

Graduation day couldn't come fast enough. All I cared about was that I had just enough credits to pass. The grades were meaningless to me by that point.

Hate being so negative. But it was a bummer of a time.

Last edited:
I went to a regular school too, but it wasnt challenging enough for me, so I changed it for a gymnasium (nothing to do with gym or physical education, just more A levels, not sure if it would be on the same level with grammar schools or a bit lower, I havent done the research :D ) I havent done much learning there, mostly memorizing stuff for the tests and exams and then forgetting what I've memorized more frequently than NOT forgetting. I owned the languages though. Was exempt from english homework for as long as I can remember, as I always had a solid A* :) I used to think I must've been english in my past life or smth - it was just flowing out of me without much effort. One thing I have learned there for sure - to never disagree with teachers' opinions, if you want a good grade that is :/ One was not allowed to have an opinion different to the teachers, question the teachers or be different in any way and question "why?" was almost always ignored or unanswered. My country is still suffering a lot of soviet mentality to this day, really... However, now that I'm a full-time "student" at the "school of hard knocks" and "university of life" - things are changing :) Looking back now, I wish I hadnt been so drowned in languages and taken up the science route instead - I could do it, my teachers were pushing me hard to do it, but I didnt want to abandon my languages, so something had to suffer :)

Reactions: Azazel
Tedious, boring and a waste of time and energy. I hated every second up to senior year. By that point, I just didn't give a rat's ass... and did better than all of my other years combined. Luckily, in senior year, I got all the crap courses out of the way and was able to take mostly electives like Physics, AP European History, Sculpture and Creative Writing/Poetry - I was an "A" student that year :)

Also found out that once you're not a Ivy League student potential, SAT's and GPA's don't matter a Hell of a lot. I went to college with people who could barely spell or add 1x + 2y and received the same degree as them. I've yet to even work a job that required that degree I did get.

When I think back
On all the crap I learned in high school
It's a wonder
I can think at all

Reactions: Blackmountainside
Dear infjs,

What kind of high school did you go to? What did you learn there? What do you wish you had learned there?
i only attended highschool for the first four months of ninth grade. after that i ran away from home and was subsequently kicked out and ended up travelling around the country for several years.
oh i could tell you some of those stories but then i'd have to kill ya
grinzz

i went to a government school five minutes from the beach. the guys woke early to surf and wagged classes to surf some more. most students wagged. pretty laxed attitudes towards education from students and teachers alike.

when i was sixteen i visited one of the universities with my art class to sketch the trees and buildings. and i thought this place is beautiful, i will study here. my teachers said no you won’t, that is where our smartest students go. crème of the crop, you understand, girl? my parents said tell your teachers to get stuffed.

but it was true, i was vacant most of high school. my mind was not there and i learnt very little --- in brief moments i tried, but it was a fleeting interest, and even then i could not hear. i failed most of my classes and i did not care. after i graduated i spent one year at a college with the repeaters and immigrant kids. i was very happy there, and have very fond memories of my time at this college.

and i do study at the top university in my state --- one of the top in my country (there is no arrogance. and afterall i study arts and i am certain some of the other students have their own views about the arts faculty). but when i walk past the building i sketched i think of my teachers and their adamant and limited vision for my future and i smile.

My high school...It was ok,nothing specially good or bad. I made two life friends and got knowledge for uiversity I wished for. But, besides that...I was in my world...
I read your expirience and I think how every story reflects part of school system in itsself. I work in primary school. And more and more I think how many parts of school are so ES based. It is not strange that introverts and intuitives can feel little bit outsiders...

High school was okay for me. I drifted one from social group to another, never really having any particular place I belonged, but neither was I friendless or an outcast. I have managed to retain one close friend from those days, although we live very far apart now and see little of one another.

More than anything, I found the lessons dull and pointless, and the teachers misguided. I preferred to learn on my own, and frequently skipped class in order to read or study alone, where all the noise and randomness couldn't distract me. Probably that was one of the drawbacks of going to a large, public school - too many students, not enough autonomy. This habit got so bad that towards the end of highschool, I was warned that my attendance rate was so low, I might not be allowed to pass. There was some irony in that, because I also had excellent grades from all the study I did at home. I was considered a little bit strange for that, haha. :)

My favourite subjects were English, History, Classics, and Art. Maths and Science seemed absolutely alien to me and I dropped those subjects as soon as I got a chance. There were a couple of 'bad years' when I became quite reckless and did some regrettable things, but I learned from those experiences as well. :)

Last edited:
I hated Secondary school. I was 13 and starting, and this was around the time my depression started getting very very severe. Not to mention, my first year in secondary my younger sister was diagnosed with leukaemia and was very very ill for 3 years, which caused a lot of upheavel at home. The school was aware and teachers were told to go easy on me and not to make a big deal if I wasn't fully prepared for class etc. Of course this didn't really happen.

My home ec teacher was an overweight, unhappy bitch who liked to throw her weight around (excuse the unintentional pun) and make students life hell. She acted all big and tough on school grounds, but the inute she ran into you outside ofschool she was terrified because I'm pretty sure she knew about bad she was to us. She bullied me for years. If I didn't have the ingredients to cook one day because no one had been at home to shop for me (they were in the hospital with my sister whilst I minded the baby and younger siblings at home) she would berate me, punish me and humiliate me in front of the class. They were all on my side anyway.

I have discalculus which makes me hopeless at maths and languages. I wored so hard in French, but still struggled with remembering lists that made no sense. (I could memorise a monologue easily, but hand me a list of vocab or grammar and it wont stick in my brain) My French teacher bullied me for years also, and she was known to pick on students who were poor at the subject and only teach to the ones she liked. Pity seh didnt have me for english, I would have been teachers pet!

I was very badly bullied, which probably wasn't helped by the fact that I gave off the impression of an easy target due to severe depression and low self esteem. Other students picked on me mercilessly, even in class in front of teachers. It wasn't just one or two...there were many of them. I befriended a girl in my form, and her best friend in the year despised me and was one of the main instigators (years later I can recognise this girl was just jealous...I think she was equally as insecure as i was, but instead of myself, who was kind to others as a result, she was just nasty.). My friend had a birthday party, and this girl made her feel like shit and refused to show up because I had been invited. Fair play to my friend, she invited me anyway even though it meant her best friend was nasty toher and didn't come.
The first week of school I turned downa guy in my form and he had it in for me for the rest of our school days. He bullied me mercilessly even to the point where hi and his friends would molest me in the corridors at lunch if no one was around.

I had a lot of shit going on, and a lot of depression, so whilst I went into high school a good student, my grades slowly began to plummet and by the time I left school a year or two early due to PTSD/depression I was really just failing out.

It took me a long time to realise how smart I was after that. I think they really need better bullying policies and stratagies in place in high schools. It's ridiculous.

I attended a large public school. I had about 900 in my graduating class with 4 grades. About 4k kids. We were on a campus with 6 buildings. I learned what I needed I suppose. I don't remember that much. They treated me like I was on drugs all the time, when I wasn't. I was suspended twice. Once for piercing my eyebrow on campus and the other because I had over the counter caffeine pills. I had to be enrolled in their drug program, but I never did drugs? It was bizarre. Maybe because of the caffeine pills? My grades were okay, not as high as before but I suppose that was to be expected if you have the freedom to skip a class or two (I was on a campus for gods sake)

I got along with everyone while not getting along with anyone. I tried on a million different identities while finally settling into who I was was senior year. My best friend died in a car accident and no one gave a shit. I skipped prom, and skipped the grad parties and GTFO of dodge as soon as I could. I talk to one girl from HS.

Reactions: tfg345i4u5lw
I also went to a large public high school. I was much too angsty and emotional to get a whole lot out of it education-wise, but the opportunity was there; I did take some AP classes and had some good experiences. I loved art, dance, literature, and biology. I was never much of a troublemaker but got sent home for wearing too-short skirts. (They were not supposed to be more than 3" above your knee. my legs are longer than usual so wearing the same damn thing other people were wearing got me into trouble. I felt horribly oppressed at the time.) Friends from high school who were very... sort of cliquey and follower-y... have proceeded to ruin their lives and die young; there was a fair amount of substance abuse and some people just never grew out of it.

There was overall a terrible lonelienss and lack of caring from peers and adults. I now feel a smaller, more intimate environment where people can care about each other is overall healthier.

I was never happier than when I could put education aside and get on with becoming independent.

Wish I had learned more math and financial management skills! :D I had to learn those the hard way.

I also went to a large public high school. I was much too angsty and emotional to get a whole lot out of it education-wise, but the opportunity was there; I did take some AP classes and had some good experiences. I loved art, dance, literature, and biology. I was never much of a troublemaker but got sent home for wearing too-short skirts. (They were not supposed to be more than 3" above your knee. my legs are longer than usual so wearing the same damn thing other people were wearing got me into trouble. I felt horribly oppressed at the time.) Friends from high school who were very... sort of cliquey and follower-y... have proceeded to ruin their lives and die young; there was a fair amount of substance abuse and some people just never grew out of it.

There was overall a terrible lonelienss and lack of caring from peers and adults. I now feel a smaller, more intimate environment where people can care about each other is overall healthier.

I was never happier than when I could put education aside and get on with becoming independent.

Wish I had learned more math and financial management skills! :D I had to learn those the hard way.

This. This is why I thought it was so interesting that so many people would view this thread and not comment on an experience that we all shared.

I don't remember struggling in any subject. I was angsty though, good god who knows why/ Dance was the class I skipped the most! ;)

Because it is not fun to remember things like that!

I kept typing in my username as This Is Not Fun. Swear to God.

No, I think almost everyone has had some painful experience in high school and no one likes to remember them. My mother is the one exception I know of but she is probably the most E person I know and also very intelligent and competitive, and went to a small school, and she saw it as an escape from a difficult home environment. So she loved it. Every other person I know cringes at least a little at the memories.

I had math phobia and was shy. No problems whatsoever with dance! Go figure.

Damn, how could I forget about this song?? I actually created a video for it as a class project in high school before I even saw this video...

"Subdivisions
In the high school halls
In the shopping malls
conform or be cast out
Subdivisions
In the basement bars
In the backs of cars
Be cool or be cast out"

[video=youtube_share;Lu9Ycq64Gy4]http://youtu.be/Lu9Ycq64Gy4[/video]

Last edited:
Reactions: Duffy
I was bullied a lot from 3rd grade on, so I can't say I have many positive things to say about the schools I attended. However, the people I met along the way shaped me into the person I am today. For that I am grateful.
[At the time I am sure I would have said otherwise.]

-Anna

What kind of high school did you go to?
A ghetto one.

What did you learn there?
Just enough to get out.

What do you wish you had learned there?
An appreciation of reading and writing at an early age.