HELP!!!!!

jyrffw54

שכינה עוֹלֶה
Jun 29, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Ok, so I bought a new microphone today, Installed the software into my computer.
I noticed that when I plugged in my mic, I couldn't use volume at all, but when I unplugged it, I could.

My computer then started giving this message that said "Hardware Failure", and a few minutes later went to a blue screen that said something about unable to boot volume or something of that sort, and it said that I may have installed something that may not have installed properly, so I should restart my computer in safe mode to uninstall it. Well, when I tried to do that, It put me back to the blue screen.

Any ideas?

By the way, if it helps I use a Dell Vostro 1520 with Windows XP OS

It means you're a failure. Come on, if even your microphone agrees...

That doesnt sound good... when you select "Safe Mode", at that point have you tried selecting "last good configuration" instead? Sometimes when selecting that option it will still boot to blue screen, if that turns out to be the case press the power button twice to restart and go through the same process again (it may work).
:m107:

Do you have an Win XP setup disc? If the previous step doesnt work and you have the disc, put it into the drive and start the computer up, when prompted to enter setup - acknowledge it by pressing spacebar. Eventually after setup initializes you will come to a screen prompting you to select an option from the menu, select "Recovery Console".

Then follow the steps on this page after it says "corrupt boot.ini file" - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000630.htm

I can't guarantee this will work, if those steps dont work you could possibly have to reinstall Win XP.

I have a Win Xp Reinstallation disk, but not a set-up disk. And I have NO idea how to use it.

I tried safe mode, I tried "last good configuration", they both took me back the the blue screen

To be honest when it gets to the stage where im finding my laptop boots to blue screen (its happened numerous times) i dont follow through to try to fix the problem (i just reinstall Win XP). I may make a short attempt at fixing the problem but often you will find the problem is misconfigured configuration files, corrupted essential files or a bit of both (and it will take some time to fix, if it "can" be fixed).

So im definitely not qualified to walk you through recovering your system to full operation again (to fix the problems as they stand). If you are keen to do that, then id suggest either getting on this forum - http://forums.techguy.org/ (there is a Win XP section) or contacting a local computer technician to go through it for you.

If you think the forum idea may help, id suggest that you give specific information on the problem and be specific on results from what they suggest. (They will catch you on it if you dont)

Anyway when i said "setup disc" sorry i meant reinstallation disc. First you need to determine if your computer will boot from CD/DVD Rom. To determine this make sure the reinstallation disc is in the drive then restart the laptop. The computer will come up with jibberish first. If the cd/dvd drive is being booted you will see a screen that says "Press any key to boot from CD". That is good, it means your laptop is already configured to boot from cd.

If you "dont" get to that point then i'll need to walk you through how to do that. If your impatient you could try to follow this guide from step 4 onwards - http://www.myitbyte.com/2007/06/21/how-to-install-windows-xp/

(Just be careful to set the "first boot device" and no other options and then save)

Anyway before i get ahead of you i'll just wait to see where you are at (whether you can boot from cd or not).

You *could* try to update your drivers; it could be as simple as that. Just see if there are drivers available for your microphone by going to the microphone's website, and typing in your model (or "drivers"). A lot of the time it's usually a driver issue. Older drivers/newer equipment, etc.

So you can't boot up your OS at all? If you can, then you can try getting to safe mode this way:

Click on

Nope, Can't boot it up at all. I took it to my university tech center for them to have a look at it, and they said that I have a hard drive failure and most likely will have to get a new hardrive.

Ewww...oh, man, that's not fun. But you can find them for fairly cheap, and they're not hard to physically install. Just make sure you have all of your install disks and start them in order. Make sure you get the hard drive specifically for your model, though!