Help sorting out type? (INFJ vs INFP) | INFJ Forum

Help sorting out type? (INFJ vs INFP)

anagum

Oct 16, 2017
MBTI
INFJ
Hey, all. So I recently retook the MBTI test out of curiosity...and was placed as an INFx. I am still largely new when it comes to this whole thing (and how lengthy the explanations can get tends to overwhelm me, tbh) so I would appreciate it if you guys helped me sort out if I might be truly INFJ or INFP. My gut instinct (aha) tells me I'm INFJ through and through. What are key differences or what should I look for?

How familiar are you with other types?
What is your perception of intjs, intps, enfps?
How much of a perfectionist do you consider yourself to be?
What types of things do you keep messy vs orderly?
How much of your daydreaming is "creative" vs "practical" ...?

Hi there! To complement what @Wyote said, and without resorting to the functions for now, here are some further questions that may prove helpful.

- Do you feel like your mind generates a lot of new ideas, or that it rather tends to spend a lot of time focusing on specific ideas and link/harmonise them together within a kind of map pattern?
- Do you sometimes find it difficult to express an insight that popped into your mind? Or easy but then you realise the other person is struggling to grasp your reasoning?
- Do you sometimes feel like you're at war between being a highly logical, systematic person, and a person influenced by strong emotions?
- When somebody is explaining something to you, do you have the almost intuitive ability to locate their conclusion in advance, but you'll stop yourself because it would seem rude?
- In social situations, do you feel like a bit of a virtuoso chameleon, capable of embracing multiple personalities and pretty much get on with anybody, to the point that if you were to ask those people about your type, they'd come up with different answers?
- When you're in a group, will you naturally pay attention to the person who's talking less because you're afraid they aren't feeling included?
- Do you typically achieve your concrete goals, even if you might be zigzagging your way through?
- Do you dislike leaving things unfinished?

That's it for now :)

Last edited:
I'd like to add my voice to the canon. It's ok if some of the distinctive elements in the questions posited by @Wyote and @Ren both apply to you, it's probably the source of your confusion.

You pointed out that the lenghty descriptions overwhelm you. In what way does it happen, can you explain it somehow?

I'd like to add my voice to the canon. It's ok if some of the distinctive elements in the questions posited by @Wyote and @Ren both apply to you, it's probably the source of your confusion.

You pointed out that the lenghty descriptions overwhelm you. In what way does it happen, can you explain it somehow?
"Posited" is a great word.

How familiar are you with other types?
What is your perception of intjs, intps, enfps?
How much of a perfectionist do you consider yourself to be?
What types of things do you keep messy vs orderly?
How much of your daydreaming is "creative" vs "practical" ...?

1. Aaaah, I really have a lot of catching up and studying to do of the other types to be familiar enough to talk about them!
2. I consider myself, when it comes to meeting expectations, and especially if it involves others, to be highly perfectionist. I would say maybe a 8 out of 10. I'm rarely truly satisfied with my work.
3. I like to keep my room orderly and simple. I hate messes, whether they be physical or when it comes to dealing with social matters, etc. Having too many things stresses me out, and I like open rooms with a lot of air and green spaces. I might not be so strict about my bag, though. Or other really personal spaces.
4. My daydreaming tends to be creative, but it tends to do with things that have my immediate attention here and now and which interest me. One thing that I really struggle with is putting my heart in places where it's just not, and I can't lie to myself most of the time about where my heart truly is.

Thanks for the q's! It's making me get a better idea. :)

Reactions: anagum

I just...block myself. I get tired and anstsy and I don't want to read anymore. I used to be a bigger bookworm than I am now. I think it has something to do with the selective memory I told you. I just can't lie to myself if something doesn't interest me, and even if I force myself, my ability to actually grasp the information is low. One perfect example, whenever I play a new board game, I'd much rather apply it in real life (the rules, and everything) than having it explained it me. I just won't understand or remember. The same goes for directions, when it comes to driving. I learn by doing or if somebody personally explains it to me in a more didactic way, with pictures, etc.

Reactions: Infjente and Ginny
I just...block myself. I get tired and anstsy and I don't want to read anymore. I used to be a bigger bookworm than I am now. I think it has something to do with the selective memory I told you. I just can't lie to myself if something doesn't interest me, and even if I force myself, my ability to actually grasp the information is low. One perfect example, whenever I play a new board game, I'd much rather apply it in real life (the rules, and everything) than having it explained it me. I just won't understand or remember. The same goes for directions, when it comes to driving. I learn by doing or if somebody personally explains it to me in a more didactic way, with pictures, etc.

Some of it really reminds me of myself, the information thing especially. It didn't help me a lot in school that way. But I do believe that I am more focussed now.

From this evidence, I would also agree that you are most likely INFJ. However, I'm always extremely cautious about this, so there is still a minor chance that you are not. But I doubt it.

Reactions: Infjente
Hi there! To complement what @Wyote said, and without resorting to the functions for now, here are some further questions that may prove helpful.

- Do you feel like your mind generates a lot of new ideas, or that it rather tends to spend a lot of time focusing on specific ideas and link/harmonise them together within a kind of map pattern?
- Do you sometimes find it difficult to express an insight that popped into your mind? Or easy but then you realise the other person is struggling to grasp your reasoning?
- Do you sometimes feel like you're at war between being a highly logical, systematic person, and a person influenced by strong emotions?
- When somebody is explaining something to you, do you have the almost intuitive ability to locate their conclusion in advance, but you'll stop yourself because it would seem rude?
- In social situations, do you feel like a bit of a virtuoso chameleon, capable of embracing multiple personalities and pretty much get on with anybody, to the point that if you were to ask those people about your type, they'd come up with different answers?
- When you're in a group, will you naturally pay attention to the person who's talking less because you're afraid they aren't feeling included?
- Do you typically achieve your concrete goals, even if you might be zigzagging your way through?
- Do you dislike leaving things unfinished?

That's it for now :)

Ooh, these are neat!

Ok.

1. I would say the second option. I tend to connect all dots together and see the "big picture" when it comes to things.
2. I find it harder for people to understand where I'm coming from. Like, my reasoning is not clear, and that makes me feel alienated at times.
3. YES. I have a tendency of knowing where their explanation will lead to, or how an activity will turn out. Though, tbh, I don't like to dwell too much on that, because it makes me anxious. Especially when something is going to have a bad outcome. I believe Life/The Universe/God is always protecting you, though, and that nothing happens in vain.
4. THIS. People have looked at me in disbelief when I tell them: "YOU'RE AN INTROVERT?! I can't believe you!" I actually do fairly well in social situations but then when I do get tired, I get tired and need to retreat. But I have mad chameleon skills, as you say, and are able to adapt most places to a T.
5. Yes! I pay attention to those not speaking and will feel bad for them really easily.
6. Yes, I achieve my goals, one way or another.
7. I dislike leaving things unfinished, but it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I do hate doing a bad job with something, and always strive to do my best.

Some of it really reminds me of myself, the information thing especially. It didn't help me a lot in school that way. But I do believe that I am more focussed now.

From this evidence, I would also agree that you are most likely INFJ. However, I'm always extremely cautious about this, so there is still a minor chance that you are not. But I doubt it.
I would actually agree with @Ginny - it's probably a little early to shout victory, but you know, if that's how you feel deep down, everybody will be happy to consider you one.

To get a better idea, you'll have to look into the functions. If you are INFx for sure, then it will almost be enough for you to determine whether you possess Ni, Fe, or Ti (I'm leaving Se aside for now). INFP and INFJ have no function in common, as strange as it sounds. So if you're hesitating between those two types, in a way you can arrive at the answer by determining whether you use Fe or Fi, Te or Ti, Ne or Ni. For me, the way in was actually Ti, then Ni, then Fe.

My impression is that you're more likely to be an INFJ, so I maintain my "comrade" ;)

Reactions: Ginny
Ooh, these are neat!

Ok.

1. I would say the second option. I tend to connect all dots together and see the "big picture" when it comes to things.
2. I find it harder for people to understand where I'm coming from. Like, my reasoning is not clear, and that makes me feel alienated at times.
3. YES. I have a tendency of knowing where their explanation will lead to, or how an activity will turn out. Though, tbh, I don't like to dwell too much on that, because it makes me anxious. Especially when something is going to have a bad outcome. I believe Life/The Universe/God is always protecting you, though, and that nothing happens in vain.
4. THIS. People have looked at me in disbelief when I tell them: "YOU'RE AN INTROVERT?! I can't believe you!" I actually do fairly well in social situations but then when I do get tired, I get tired and need to retreat. But I have mad chameleon skills, as you say, and are able to adapt most places to a T.
5. Yes! I pay attention to those not speaking and will feel bad for them really easily.
6. Yes, I achieve my goals, one way or another.
7. I dislike leaving things unfinished, but it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I do hate doing a bad job with something, and always strive to do my best.
Right. If you answered all these questions completely in earnest, then I think it's quite unlikely that you are not an INFJ. :)

I would actually agree with @Ginny - it's probably a little early to shout victory, but you know, if that's how you feel deep down, everybody will be happy to consider you one.

To get a better idea, you'll have to look into the functions. If you are INFx for sure, then it will almost be enough for you to determine whether you possess Ni, Fe, or Ti (I'm leaving Se aside for now). INFP and INFJ have no function in common, as strange as it sounds. So if you're hesitating between those two types, in a way you can arrive at the answer by determining whether you use Fe or Fi, Te or Ti, Ne or Ni. For me, the way in was actually Ti, then Ni, then Fe.

My impression is that you're more likely to be an INFJ, so I maintain my "comrade" ;)

No arguments here.

"comrade"? who do you think you are, Martin Schulz? or a Russian?

Reactions: Ren
Right. If you answered all these questions completely in earnest, then I think it's quite unlikely that you are not an INFJ. :)

I promise I'll try to understand the functions better. Thanks a million, guys!

Reactions: Ren
I promise I'll try to understand the functions better. Thanks a million, guys!
Haha. Yes, get that sorted by tomorrow, otherwise I'll get angry :p

I used to think I was INFJ. It came down to Fe vs Fi for me.

I feel I relate to all of the infj description with the exception of Fe. I'm just not the warm and fuzzy type, despite feeling very passionate about people and ideals, I often keep it all under the surface. I'm very private with my emotions. I'd rather work things out for myself.

I can handle group disharmony and conflict (so long as it's not violent or abusive) it doesn't really bother me. I may see it as necessary in some instances to actually work things out and achieve greater harmony. I put much more stock into my own internal code than what the group agrees on.

Fi tends to get a bad wrap but I think that is because people don't understand it. It's inwardly focused. Fi is OK with going against the grain if their code dictates it. I'm INFP and empathic. I don't favor Fe yet still manage to absorb the emotions of others as well as have the ability to discern what is felt in someone without it being said.

I'm not an expert, but I think that we are not limited to using just four functions, however. I think we can use and develop them all.. it's just a matter of preference. So maybe narrow it down to what seems more comfortable or natural for you?

Last edited:
Ok, so this did it for me.

INFJs’ Auxiliary Function: Extraverted Feeling (Fe)
INFJs use Extraverted Feeling (Fe) as their auxiliary function. As the most interpersonal of all the functions, Fe is attuned to surveying and improving interpersonal feelings and morale. Like other FJ types, INFJs work to cultivate “good feelings” in the interpersonal environment. In order to survey others’ feelings, Fe contributes to INFJs’ ability to read emotional expressions and body language. This, in combination with their Se and Ni, allow them to effectively read, understand, and relate to others.

Interestingly, INFJs can have a more difficult time with perceiving and understanding their own emotions. This is due to the fact that their Feeling function is directed outwardly (i.e., extraverted) rather than inwardly. Unlike INFPs, whose Feeling function is introverted (Fi), INFJs are less equipped to manage their emotions independently. Inwardly, they deal in the currency of Intuition (Ni) and Thinking (Ti). Hence, when INFJs find themselves in emotionally taxing circumstances, they often turn to others for aid and support.

Fe also entails an extraversion of judgment. INFJs utilize their Fe to express their thoughts, feelings, opinions, and grievances. Fe gives voice and shape to INFJs’ feelings and intuitions. In many cases, INFJs do not fully understand the nature of an Ni insight until given the opportunity to verbalize it. They may have a hunch or a gut feeling, but the content of the intuition can remain somewhat nebulous until it is expressed via their Fe. Assuming they have not been severely censored in their upbringing, INFJs are generally happy to share their feelings and perspectives. In fact, given the right opportunity, INFJs will often talk at length about their feelings and intuitions. Unlike FP types, who generally prefer a more dialogical format, INFJs are inclined toward monologues, which allow them to fully flesh out their ideas on a certain topic.

INFJs’ Fe can present differently among strangers than it does with their intimates. In larger groups, INFJs may seem consistently cheery as part of their attempt to cultivate good feelings. Many INFJs have a good sense of humor and can be funny and engaging. Enlisting their vivid imaginations and knack for metaphor, they can also make good storytellers. In the company of close confidants, however, INFJs use their Fe to be more open and direct with their grievances. Since some INFJs feel like tortured souls, their commentary may take on a characteristically negative tone. They may seem moody, pessimistic, discontented, or restless. They can also seem fairly intense in their communication when infused with the emotion of Fe. Consequently, their expressions can seem exaggerated, dramatic, or irrational, especially to Thinking types. They differ in this respect from INFPs, who are less disposed to melodrama in their verbiage. INFJs can also be susceptible to self-pity and self-loathing, seeing themselves as victims. They may curse the fact that life isn’t fair, feeling that they always end up with the short end of the stick.

For INFJs, expressing themselves through their Fe is critical to their psychological and physical health and well-being. Even if doing so does not provide them with immediate solutions to the problem at hand, they tend to feel better once they have expressed their feelings, whether through words or tears. This is especially important for the mates or friends of INFJs to recognize. While not necessarily looking for others to solve their problems, INFJs value emotional support, empathy, and reassurance. Without such an outlet, INFJs can begin to feel isolated and depressed, turning to their inner fantasy world as a means of escape. And while fantasizing may seem helpful in the short-term, it can make the real world seem even less tolerable and exacerbate existing frustrations toward life.

Even if not to the same extent as EFJs, INFJs can be warm, welcoming, loyal, giving, and self-sacrificing. At the same time, as Introverts, they need time to themselves to recharge their proverbial batteries. This creates an ongoing, even lifelong, struggle for INFJs, trying to balance their own needs and desires with those of others.

INFJs commonly experience a conflict in values between their Ni and Fe. For example, they may be asked by a friend or relative to donate to a cause they don’t believe in. This puts them in the difficult position of deciding between honoring their own perspectives (Ni) or maintaining the harmony of the relationship (Fe). Since INFJs can have difficulty saying no, they will often opt to oblige others, even while inwardly regretting doing so. INFJs may experience similar issues in school. INFJs are disposed to questioning the veracity of what the teacher or other students are saying, not to mention issues of character. At the same time, however, they want to please the teacher and maintain external harmony. This can leave them feeling torn between allegiance to truth (Ni) versus Fe people-pleasing.

Because of the strength of their Fe, INFJs need to be careful not to abandon their Ni in the face of outward pressures. Since Ni is their best and most reliable compass for navigating life, when they lose track of it, INFJs can easily feel lost, restless, and frustrated. Hence, when it comes to decision-making, INFJs are wise to listen primarily to their own inner voice.

from personalityjunkie.com/the-infj/

I used to think I was INFJ.

I feel I relate to all of the infj description with the exception of Fe. I'm not the warm and fuzzy type, despite feeling very passionate about people and ideals, I often keep it all under the surface. I'm very private with my emotions. I'd rather work things out for myself.

I can handle group disharmony and conflict (so long as it's not violent or abusive) it doesn't really bother me. I may see it as necessary in some instances to actually work things out and achieve greater harmony. I put much more stock into my own internal code than what the group agrees on. In order to narrow it down for myself, it came down to Fe vs. Fi. And Fi wins out for me.

Fi gets a bad wrap but I think that is because people don't understand it. I'm INFP and empathic. I don't favor Fe yet still manage to absorb the emotions of others as well as have the ability to discern what is felt in someone without it being said.

I think that we are not limited to using just four functions, however. I think we can use and develop them all.. it's just a matter of preference. So maybe narrow it down to what seems more comfortable for you?

Fe isn't about being empathic, we are just more prone to exhibit it naturally. Fi is just as apt to develop empathy. We only have that rep because of the combination with Ni, giving it a "supernatural" appearance. It seems like we notice witout seeing, and with Ni-INFJs this is probably true, in a literal sense.

Fe types also aren't all that warm and fuzzy, Fe is the function I probably developed the most at present, and I can be anything from cold to cruel as well. If we decide that someone is not worthy of our feelings, they might as well not exist.

Though we are all preferring one or the other function, and have potential to develop all, we shouldn't forget to exploit any advantages we might have from our naturally dominant functions. Just sayin.

Reactions: Ren, Wyote and acd
And this:

What INFJs may perceive as a negative or difficult feature of their Ti is its tendency to generate self-doubt. As Ti butts up against the insights offered by their Ni, INFJs may temporarily distrust their most cherished and utilized mode of knowing—their Intuition. But personal growth is never easy, not for any type. With time, INFJs settle into a healthy balance between their Ni and Ti, intuitively knowing how to apply their Ti without spoiling the insights proffered by their Intuition.

My Ti is definitely something not as well developed as it could be. And it makes me uncomfortable. But I can see why it'd be necessary.

Reactions: Misty and Wyote