Healthy MBTI-Enneagram Type Correlations | INFJ Forum

Healthy MBTI-Enneagram Type Correlations

Well, to address my enneagram scores, I score 3 or 5; and it makes sense according to this article that when I am in enneagram 3 mode I am less healthy, because as an INFJ- I am playing less towards my strengths- aka my intuition, and more to my Fe and pleasing others or worrying about others.

"Enneagram 3 (Three)

Healthy:

For Promoting/Motivating: EFJs, ENPs
For Status/Wealth: ESPs
Less Healthy:

For Promoting/Motivating: ISJs
For Status/Wealth: INJs
For Fame/Affirmation: ITPs
The Enneagram Three is more complex and multi-dimensional. Threes are sometimes called “Motivators” or “Promoters,” both of which are suitable descriptors for ENFJs, ENTPs, and ENFPs. There is also a status-conscious side to Threes which is most natural for ESPs to display, since their dominant function, Extraverted Sensing (Se), is naturally attuned to popular trends and material comforts. While many Myers-Briggs types (whether healthy or unhealthy) may score high as Threes, generally speaking, it is healthier for Extraverts to do so than it is for Introverts. When INJs identify as Threes, they are probably being unduly controlled by their inferior Se, which can become obsessed with acquiring wealth or status. When ISJs identify as Threes, they are likely to do so as aspiring promoters, which gratifies their inferior Ne. When ITPs identify as Threes, they often do so in hopes of seeking praise or affirmation craved by their inferior Fe."

When I am acting more in 5 mode, I tend to be more self-satisfied- and I am also playing towards my Ni and my Ti by investigating or learning about new things.

"Enneagram 4 (Four) & 5 (Five)

Healthy: IN types, some ENPs
Less Healthy: S types

Both Fours and Fives are generally IN types. We might roughly associate the Five with INTs (INTPs and INTJs) and the Four with INFs (INFPs and INFJs). Introverted Intuition (Ni), which serves as the dominant function for INTJs and INFJs alike, can be healthily employed by either Fours or Fives. That is, it can be used creatively/ imaginatively (Four) or theoretically/ intellectually (Five). Despite this, because of their respective auxiliary functions, most INTJs (especially males) will type as Fives and most INFJs (especially females) will identify with the Four. While INTPs may function healthily as 5w4s and INFPs as 4w5s, it would be highly unusual and probably unhealthy for INTPs to test as Fours or INFPs as Fives.

Most INJs, whose Intuition is dominant, will rightly score as Fours or Fives. INPs, however, whose Intuition is auxiliary, are more prone to deviation. As I’ve written elsewhere, it can be easy for INPs to get stuck in Judging mode, hopping between their dominant and inferior functions, without allowing themselves to relax into Perceiving mode, where they can use and develop their develop their auxiliary function, Extraverted Intuition (Ne). Those who fail to regularly employ their Ne are more apt to identify with other Enneagram types."

It's interesting because for awhile I thought that my shadow would manifest as an ESTP, but I have recently begun to realize that my shadow is more similar to being ENFP- which is all of my functions but more reversed aka Ni/Ne, Ti/Te, Fe/Fi, Se/Si. So it makes sense that when I am more in 3 mode I am more in my shadow functions, and when I am in 5 mode I am in my natural mode.

This was a really great article, thanks for sharing Niffer!

I'm an enneagram 4 and I've gone to the both end of the "wing spectrum", the 4w5 and after that 4w3 and the 4w3, though much more grounded in realities and also producing lots of results was more alienating of an experience for me. I've just recently come to this conclusion thinking about my own development. Right now I feel more at peace, and perhaps more balanced in my "fourness". ;)

Most INJs, whose Intuition is dominant, will rightly score as Fours or Fives.
Yeeesssss...My Ni is strong :m081::mlight:

EDIT: Afterthought

Why is there a likelihood for scoring 4 or 5? Both are outsider looking in type of enneagrams. Shame for a perceived flaw or difference that makes one less than others, or fear of the outside world, of engulfment. Reading the thread on feelings of being different and some painful recounts on this forum it's definitely a problem most INFJs face. I suppose a very strong use of the Ni function would increase that feeling of alienation. I certainly knew from the get go I was very different. Not just because of how my mind worked, my interests and other factors thrown in. I have a faint memory of trying to talk about Freud's structural model of the psyche I read in an encyclopedia with my second grade buddies and feeling like a complete alien. I had a magical way of thinking too which was unusual given the circumstances..
Later it was my tragic experiences that alienated me even further. That said I've learned I'm not actually different in the same painful way I thought. Indulging fully in my way of looking at the world, symbolic though it may be, I've learned that there's something within us that seeks to heal itself. It works in a very roundabout way and makes no sense whatsoever. I can kind of itemize, and analyze it but it loses much in the translation. It's more organic. Ironically the more I become trusting of my intuition the more effective and Se-like I appear. Though what's happening is not Se, it's just Ni strongly at the helm of the ship, which gives an impression of Se. And one becomes effective that way. Just as capable or normal as anyone else. And as I said everyone has (at least if you think of the enneagram) an issue with a) Shame b) Fear or c) Anger, so we're all in the same boat here. We get where we need to go by following our star, be it Ni or Ne or Se or Si or Fi...all the way to where the road takes us.

I don't know how people with enneagram 6 or 9 feel about this article.
They are traditionally very INFJy enneagrams and nines seem very Ni-fe from the descriptions in a way. The problems with assertiveness and inertia. The melding to people. Sixes I don't really know much about. How do you guys feel about the claims made in the article?

Last edited by a moderator:
Enneagram 6 (Six)
Healthy: Most Sensing types
Less Healthy: Most Intuitives, especially INJs
Like the Three, the Enneagram Six is complex and multi-dimensional. One of the main features of Sixes is their lack of consistent self-confidence in formulating their own belief system. This prompts them to look outside themselves—to individuals, groups, organizations, etc.—for guidance and support. In this regard, the Six correlates with Myers-Briggs Sensing, since Sensing types are less equipped to deal in theories and abstractions.
Of all types, it would be least healthy for INFJs or INTJs to identify as Sixes, as they are the types best equipped to produce their own original theories by way of their Ni. Nevertheless, all Intuitives, given sufficient time, should be capable of developing and tweaking their own worldview on a largely independent basis.
That is interesting; however, I thought being aware of the clench -is- part of the growth.
And I thought 6 also deal with theories and abstractions. I mean; safety doesn't always visible and tangible.

Healthy correlations are those in which individuals of a certain Myers-Briggs type employ and identify with their conscious functions (i.e., dominant/auxiliary), leading them to identify with an Enneagram type that aptly describes and represents healthy functioning for their type. Unhealthy correlations occur when they identify with their less conscious functions (i.e., tertiary/inferior).
That would be interesting.

While INTPs may function healthily as 5w4s and INFPs as 4w5s, it would be highly unusual and probably unhealthy for INTPs to test as Fours or INFPs as Fives.

Omg. I'm so glad I finally settled on a healthy type.

FTA
"The One is often called “The Reformer.” In the modern world, “reform” often involves an attempt to change or modify external systems. Hence, the One is probably best associated with Extraverted Thinking (Te), a function which is most conscious in TJ types (especially ETJs). However, reforms can also take place among people (Fe), which is why some FJ types may also rightly identify themselves as Ones."

I think this is pretty accurate for me with the type 1 enneagram, though I have a 9 wing. I will sometimes type as an INTJ :D