Healthy cleaning agents | INFJ Forum

Healthy cleaning agents

Soulful

life is good
Nov 18, 2008
MBTI
What kind of cleaning agents do you use to clean the home?

I pour vinegar into a spray bottle, fill the rest with water and use that to clean sufraces like sink tops, toilet tops, litter box, etc.
I use water to clean the kitchen counter, and sometimes dishsoap detergent, which I hope is fine seeing as how our kitchen is vegetarian and the most that touches the countertops are coffee granules, bits of spinach, and spilt tea. Plus dishes, of course.
I need to find something with which to wash the tub; I'm thinking of a biodegradable cleaner, as long as it suds I'm not picky.
Etc.
I'm pretty weary about using corrosive or toxic cleaners, and try to steer away from them.

I'm wondering what others use and how you find the products you use.

We use baking soda in place of commercially made abrasive cleansers such as Comet for example.

We live with birds. Anyone who lives with birds would/should tell you that you have to be extra careful with the types of chemicals you use around them (we don't even have any Teflon coated cookware in the house).

Vinegar and peroxide. One's acidic and the other's anti-bacterial, between the two of them, you can clean anything. For polishes, sticky things and a general "nice smell", I also use lemon oil. When I need a soap, for floors, etc, I use Castile (simple olive-based) soap.

Vinegar and peroxide. One's acidic and the other's anti-bacterial, between the two of them, you can clean anything. For polishes, sticky things and a general "nice smell", I also use lemon oil. When I need a soap, for floors, etc, I use Castile (simple olive-based) soap.

Peracetic acid is a good disinfectant I hear and I love lemon oil. I do wonder though if the castile soap does not leave a residue on your floors.

Anyway, I mostly use baking soda, lemons, vinegar and water with some sort of essential oil in it so things don't smell so vinegar-y.

However, I also use bleach for certain purposes (with the windows open) because although it is quite irritating to some people, apparently it is not enviromentally harmful and I prefer to deal with the smell of bleach than the problems of mould. I also use regular commercial products as well but I just do not spray them directly into the air or on a surface. Sometimes the commercial products just work better for certain things and I just use very little of the product as a compromise because they are often very effective even in very small quantities. I like Method non toxic cleaning products; even though they are expensive they are quite effective and smell pretty good.

Good advices. I like vinegard.