Have you got your Enneagram Type right?

Tulip

Community Member
Aug 22, 2009
MBTI
Exempted
Enneagram
Type me
From my observations, the majority of mistypes from self-typing appear to be due to a lack of understanding of individual Enneagram types, or the type descriptions being too brief, too vague or too general, as well as different interpretations of the type descriptions.

I have found this link which provides complete Levels of Development diagram for each Enneagram type.

Find the page of your type, read the detailed descriptions, start with the Basic Fear of Health Level 1, follow the instructions on the page, imagine you are going down your health levels, go through the details of every level till you reach Level 9.

This exercise should resonate with you and hit a chord if you got your type right. If the Fears and Desires of any level do not make sense or seem off to you, it is probably not your type.

Please do share your discoveries.

Happy exercising! :wink:

Absolutely. I haven't seen that page in a while, but in re-reading my preference I identify with quite lot of it. Thanks for postin'

:mhula:

Nine for sure.. Good link.

Throughout the levels, the fear of conflict, change, separation, even being forced to acknowledge reality or exert myself.. Those have all been major themes in my life..

All of my desires revolve around maintaining my peace of mind and stability...

So yeah. 9. Somewhere between Level 1, 2, or 3; the healthy levels.
Those are the most resonant now.

But I've identified with the lower level descriptions at some point as well.

Last edited:
haven't seen this before, but i think it'd def be a useful tool in helping someone diagnose their ennea-types broader implications.

i agree with dr, thanks for postin, this could be a great find for someone unsure of their type.

Reactions: anica
8 all the way down to the bone

I've not really delved into Enneagrams, so I don't really know if my type is accurate or not. But I type as a 6w7.

I am defffffffinitely a 1w2. I have no question on the matter even slighty. It's largely do the fact that I fit it very very well.

It seems all of that material was ripped from the Riso-Hudson site, and indeed, some of the hyperlinks direct you back to the source. :suspicious:

In any case, I type as a 9, no question about that.

cheers,
Ian

I'm very very much a 1. 1w2 to be exact.
I have no doubt about it.

supposed to be a 5w4 but 4 fits as well.

9 seems so right that I've never bothered to question it.

I read the book "The Wisdom of the Enneagram" a couple of years ago and was profoundly certain that I am five based on that.

I still see no reason to doubt this.

How come everyone seems so certain of their enneagram type whilst being unsure of their MBTI?

How come everyone seems so certain of their enneagram type whilst being unsure of their MBTI?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty positive on my MBTI.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty positive on my MBTI.

Now maybe but you can't tell me you haven't had serious doubts.

Also, I was immediately sure of my enneagram. I had never even heard of it before that book and by the time I'd finished the type five description I was 100% sure that was me. I read the rest just to be sure but it made no difference.

After about 4 years of knowing of mbti I am only now realising the folly of my previous beliefs.

heh, six months from now I may realise I'm an ESTJ *gasps*

Is it just that the descriptions are better for enneagram types or is it just me that sees a pattern here

Now maybe but you can't tell me you haven't had serious doubts.

No, actually I haven't. I had a little doubt when I changed from a T to an F, but it was more of a realisation.

Also, I was immediately sure of my enneagram. I had never even heard of it before that book and by the time I'd finished the type five description I was 100% sure that was me. I read the rest just to be sure but it made no difference.

After about 4 years of knowing of mbti I am only now realising the folly of my previous beliefs.

heh, six months from now I may realise I'm an ESTJ *gasps*

Is it just that the descriptions are better for enneagram types or is it just me that sees a pattern here

I think you may be on to something. Enneagram seems simpler to understand.

Perhaps the problem with MBTI is it's coded. You know there's 4 parts and you're thinking "what if one of these 4 are wrong".

Also every enneagram test I've done comes up as 9, although I'm rather consistant with MBTI too.

I think it might have to do with MBTI having a number of different variables that must be considered, while the Enneagram only has one that must be considered: What is your greatest fear?

That said, I don

I took the shorter, free version of the test a year or two ago and came out a 4w5, but didn't really explore it further. Last night--even before I saw this thread--I bit the bullet and took the longer version. I came out a 4, probably5w5, but 1, 3, 5 and 7 all tied for second place in my scores. In reading the descriptions of all of tgem, I am definitely a 4, no doubt there, and reading the material on the Levels of Development confirm it. I'm probably between levels 2 and 3 at the moment, but I have gone down to 9 once or twice in my life. I didn't rbrn like reading the descriptions of ears and desires at that level.

The recommendations for personal growth were spot on as well and a very nice reinforcement for what I am working on in my life.

I initially identified as a six, but now I see I'm most definitely a five. Thanks for the link, Tulip!

Too bad there isn't such a thing as a 9w5. That would've fit perfectly.