Have I properly categorized myself?

OMC12

Three
Dec 31, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Firstly, hi everyone! I'm new here. I've just recently become interested in Myers-Briggs typology and find it to be highly interesting, but can't seem to find a type that matches me exactly. I've tested twice as an INFJs and my enneagram is a 4w5, the type that seems to be most prevalent among INFJs, but I still don't feel like an exact fit for this type. When I took this test with my sister, her profile (INTJ) sounded like a biography. Same with the other friend I had take the test. Although parts of the INTJ descriptions I've read sound like me, major parts of my character are not mentioned and some attributes simply do not match me.

In these ways, I am completely an INFJ:

- I have an intense proclivity towards conflict avoidance.
- I have grown up feeling generally wiser than my peers and often taking on a counseling position (I'm currently 17).
- I often find myself analyzing people's motives and trying to see both their "outer shells" and "inner selves".
- I stand firmly by my morals often to the detriment of my friendships.
- I become easily frustrated and saddened when people do not hold themselves to high moral standards
- There are only 3-4 people in the world with whom I feel comfortable sharing weightier inner feelings and convictions-- even with these people I find opening up to be very difficult.
- I'm deeply committed to community service (especially its more hands-on forms) and feel everyone should become involved with it.
- I love reflecting with theories and strange systems/situations (seeing symbols and connections in classical lit, sometimes reading fantasy and dystopian lit).
- I tend to communicate well (on topics which are not extremely personal) and pick up foreign languages very easily and well (one site mentioned this is common for INFJs?)
- I love to write--short stories mostly.

There are a few key attributes of my personality, however, which make me think I may not fit the INFJ archetype at all. These include that:

- I'm massively disorganized (I've heard INFJs are supposed to be highly organized?).
- Similarly, I procrastinate more than pretty much anyone I've ever encountered (I consistently pull all-nighters when I have a paper due, make dreadful excuses about why I don't have my homework, hand things in one or two days late, etc.)-- this is a part of myself I dislike.
- I'm more judgmental than it seems most INFJs are. I generally have a very hard time seeing the good in people. I'm also pretty verbal about my judgments (with a select group of people).
- I tend not to be as caring for my family members as I am for my community service efforts-- another huge flaw in my personality
- I really enjoy math and puzzle solving of any type-- I find the reliability of numbers to be comforting.
-> In a similar vein, I enjoy games... card games, board games, pc games, multiplayer online games, etc.
- I have a medium-sized competitive streak.
- I enjoy academics and do quite well with them (despite the procrastination). The only thing I've read about INFJs in school was one site that said they tend to struggle-- does anyone have any additional views/sources on this?
- Although I wouldn't say I'm aggressive, I'd say I don't an overtly warm exterior with people I don't know well.

So, I guess I'm just not sure if I'm really an INFJ. Anyone able to rationalize how that second section might work for an INFJ? If not do you guys think there's a better category for me? Do I even fit any classification?

Sorry for writing a novel there, just wanted to get it all out :m093:

Reactions: Majesty
STOP CATEGORIZING YOURSELF.

Now that we're done, There is no idea to find out if you are an INFJ atm; all of this are self-admitted characteristic. At the point only you know who you are. :)

From what you're describing, there are lots of INFJ that shares some if not all elements with you. I know I shared few traits with you. Remember that the world is much, much bigger than 16 types of people can provide. And some INFJs prevail in academic environment-- the intuition + pattern reading helps a lot.

But from what I'm seeing, trying to fit yourself into a specific mold for.....I dunno, commonly it's a sense identity? a sense of belonging? won't do you good and in fact will lead to a beautiful breakdown...from what I'm seeing here.

Now that we're done, There is no idea to find out if you are an INFJ atm; all of this are self-admitted characteristic. At the point only you know who you are. :)

From what you're describing, there are lots of INFJ that shares some if not all elements with you. I know I shared few traits with you. Remember that the world is much, much bigger than 16 types of people can provide. And some INFJs prevail in academic environment-- the intuition + pattern reading helps a lot.

But from what I'm seeing, trying to fit yourself into a specific mold for.....I dunno, commonly it's a sense identity? a sense of belonging? won't do you good and in fact will lead to a beautiful breakdown...from what I'm seeing here.

Yeah, INFJs come in all shapes and sizes and timbres and ranges. Like me, I'm amazing. But, unfortunately, not all INFJs can be as amazing as me. Too much amazing in one location might warp the fabric of spacetime.

^ Lol

INFJs and INTJs have a lot in common. I believe i've read somewhere that at times INFJs who are not fully connected to their emotional side might score as INTJs. Many INFJs as i've seen so far, are good with numbers. I'm very good with numbers. I prefer dealing with more fluid concepts though. I feel it's more natural and healthier. I'd say you're definitely an INFJ. However, as Trifolium said, you cannot categorize yourself past INFJ unless you come up with a new theory that will contain a larger number of personalities than 16. And even then - the human psyche is so complicated and changing all the time, that you might have to take that said new personality test every day or so to "correctly" categorize yourself. But then who are you of the different personalities you will score at the test? The one on monday, thursday, april, march, 2013, 2018?

The individual human mind and personality and forever changing. Dealing with absolutes in order to put yourself in a perfect sphere of definition will only mislead you in terms of who you are, and what the world is.

You have also mentioned you have problems communicating with your family, and that you're 17. This means (usually) that you have some emotional blockades (doesn't mean it's your fault), that give you a hard time connecting to the right side of your brain and thus to emotions. Maybe this is why you go to the left side of your brain which is the logical one, and maybe that's why numbers comfort you.

I went a bit too deep... We all have emotional problems at times, god knows i still do at 27.

My point was, your personality is much more fluid than you imagine. My advice is, deal less with absolutes. I think it's healthier for emotional people. You sound a lot like me... You're definitely an INFJ. But there are endless types of INFJs... Because personalities are fluid... I have an urge to jump into all kinds of wacky philosophical theories but i'll leave it at that. Lol.. I hope i didn't do more harm than good... :)

Have you thought of INTP?

The INTP has no understanding or value for decisions made on the basis of personal subjectivity or feelings. They strive constantly to achieve logical conclusions to problems, and don't understand the importance or relevance of applying subjective emotional considerations to decisions. For this reason, INTPs are usually not in-tune with how people are feeling, and are not naturally well-equiped to meet the emotional needs of others.

I don't think that suits her