Hate and Hatred | INFJ Forum

Hate and Hatred

invisible

On Holiday
Sep 30, 2009
Avalon Archipelago
MBTI
none
What are your thoughts on hate and hatred?

What role do these things play in your life?

What role do you think that these things play in the lives of others?

And since we are participating in a typology community, do these things have any special significance to your personality type?

I agree with @ruji

It will do nothing but eat you up inside.
I personally never found it positive to hold onto negative thoughts about people or what they have done or said to me...and that may be related to type quite possibly too.

“Only those beneath me can envy or hate me.
I have never been envied nor hated; I am above no one.

Only those above me can praise or belittle me.
I have never been praised nor belittled; I am below no one.”

~ Kahlil Gibran

Hatred for other people is an unnecessary waste of energy that I feel is better used for other things, like not hating.

Self hatred is an unfortunate affliction that leads to many behaviors that are potentially destructive to the individual and others.

I think people that hate other people really only hate themselves on some level.

Hatred for other people is an unnecessary waste of energy that I feel is better used for other things, like not hating.

Self hatred is an unfortunate affliction that leads to many behaviors that are potentially destructive to the individual and others.

I think people that hate other people really only hate themselves on some level.

Nail on the head.

This response isn’t focused on you....don’t think I’m singling you out...just generalizing and sharing my own experiences.

It seems also that the more mature someone becomes, the more work one does on themselves, the more they educate themselves, the less they hate other people for petty or reasons people might consider a “waste of energy” or time.
I think that self-hate is a big danger for the INFJ in particular - since types were asked to be included and discussed.
Quite possible close to the same for INTJs, INFPs, and INTPs.

We INFJs judge through the filter of our feelings...and that included judgements and feelings about ourselves.
Add a dash of self-doubt about something and the already tenuous line seems to snap easily especially as a child...being hypersensitive about things only makes you feel at the time that there is something wrong with you, accumulating along with the other feelings - now you feel alone in the world, misunderstood...if people don’t have the right support structures and unconditional love growing up as an INFJ or whatnot I can see how those can make long-lasting and potentially damaging self-judgements that can last a person’s lifetime.

For those that hate themselves...I understand, I have been there and done that, and still at times struggle with it.
It is your given perspective.
Everyday I see Zombies walk down the street with smiles plastered to their faces in seemingly happy bliss.
But I would rather struggle with moments of self-doubt and even moments of self-loathing, than to have skipped the enduring painful parts of my life.
I will always miss my Dad from cancer, and I would wish him back in a second....but IRL we don’t have that choice, and so instead of focusing all my attention and thoughts around that...I listen in my head for the advice he would have given me...I remember the good times and though sometimes even the good times bring tears to your eyes - its only because it’s meaningful and precious to you personally.
Each tear shed, washes to the sea...and great cliffs and castles are crumbled by the waves...such is the power of a tear.

Quite often I will meditate where I picture myself standing behind my physical body as I meditate...and after I can sustain that mental point of reference without switching from my head to there and back and forth...I imagine putting my hands on my shoulders or head.
And then I imagine I am just a child sitting there...and all the shit, and difficulties that we go through day to day should never be inflicted on that pure part of myself, the innocent places that remain as you grow.
I give love to that child sitting there...love and support...support and forgiveness for anything I have ever felt guilty for - especially reasons that were so minor in hindsight and yet we beat ourselves up at the time.
Would you scold a child for mistakes being made while growing up...sure, if it’s warranted.
But a loving parent scolds a child many times to protect and teach them.
But to continuously and relentlessly beat yourself up is to stagnate and only hurt what you think you have lost.

YOU, whomever is reading this...I challenge you for ONE day, just one...to not feel some form of hatred or self-doubt about yourself.
You can change the way you think and perceive, but it begins with recognition.
Each time you catch yourself in the negative thought pattern...stop...take a deep breath...shrug your shoulders and purposefully let your body relax....bring your focus and attention to the NOW....now the house isn’t burning down, now there are no bill collectors ringing your doorbell, now you are not in the ER sick and dying, now you have food in your pantry, a roof over your head....begin to count the blessings in your life instead of counting all the negative things or things you wish you could change but have little to no control over - those things are a complete waste of your time.
If you can consistently refocus yourself throughout the day then your thought patterns change after a while as a side-effect.
The hard part is recognizing when those thoughts stray into your head that shouldn’t (or you don’t want to) be there.

Of course some people need counseling and even medications to help with past or current traumatic events in our lives.
But you are not stuck or trapped ever.
I learned that after I almost successfully died by my own hand.

You are not trapped, and you are certainly never alone.

Last edited:
Hate should be used as an emotional offloading. It feels great. It keeps you sane. It can re-center you because you can laugh at yourself.
Others should be allowed to hate you too. The problem is, it's injected maliciously and taken personally. If you hate, regulate.
Hate as a form of comedic emotional offloading: Perfectly healthy and acceptable.
Hate in any other form: Unacceptable.

Is dislike truly a form of hatred?

No...I dislike the red ants and the feeling of them biting my hand, but I don’t hate them for doing what they do naturally.

No...I dislike the red ants and the feeling of them biting my hand, but I don’t hate them for doing what they do naturally.

So.. if I say I dislike a person for causing me to feel uncomfortable and I'd rather not keep company with her. ...Then I don't hate her, I dislike her because she is only doing what is natural to her ?yes? ;)

So.. if I say I dislike a person for causing me to feel uncomfortable and I'd rather not keep company with her. ...Then I don't hate her, I dislike her because she is only doing what is natural to her ?yes? ;)

I dislike some people, but they don’t warrant hatred.
Even those who warrant me to hate them, I just let go...I cut them out of my life and let them and the hate go.

Is dislike truly a form of hatred?

Yes. A negative emotion with a target. I'm not going to draw a line or distinction between the two because that would be arbitrary. Everyone has their own thresholds where one is triggered to be affected a certain way. It's best to keep the definition in a pure and abstract form: hatred is stronger than dislike.

And since we are participating in a typology community, do these things have any special significance to your personality type?

I've felt hate and it's fueled some poor an/or unconstructive behavior on my part. It never got me very far. One individual who tried to take advantage of my handicapped parents on numerous occasions, including trying to steal from them, comes to mind. I got in the habit of hating her. It didn't really solve anything, and because of loose social connections to my family, this person keeps surfacing over the years and the fact that I hate her has actually become awkward and even slightly inconvenient. I would rather nothing her than hate her, but even still when I get to picturing her, I feel the hatred rising! So far, hate has not been a useful emotion for me. I think it might be the J. I don't want to be seen as backing down (even in my own eyes), but emotionally I don't want to be this way. I think the J aspect of INFJs can cause us to paint ourselves into a corner sometimes after Fe based actions.

I've felt hate and it's fueled some poor an/or unconstructive behavior on my part. It never got me very far. One individual who tried to take advantage of my handicapped parents on numerous occasions, including trying to steal from them, comes to mind. I got in the habit of hating her. It didn't really solve anything, and because of loose social connections to my family, this person keeps surfacing over the years and the fact that I hate her has actually become awkward and even slightly inconvenient. I would rather nothing her than hate her, but even still when I get to picturing her, I feel the hatred rising! So far, hate has not been a useful emotion for me. I think it might be the J. I don't want to be seen as backing down (even in my own eyes), but emotionally I don't want to be this way. I think the J aspect of INFJs can cause us to paint ourselves into a corner sometimes after Fe based actions.

I really agree with you. Personally I see hatred as a burden for whoever is doing the hating, when it relates to a person. I totally understand why you would feel that way though, but letting go and even forgiving (not ignoring or tolerating future bad behavior) can be a really big release. I have had a few family members who behaved very badly following my fathers death. I eventually let go of my anger, I just froze them out of my life and moved on. I have even been nice to them at times, but I will never forget the behavior. It's difficult, but I really do think hatred is a burden, and not one worth carrying for anyone.

Hating someone is fun because you know how you feel and it's not complicated. It's like when you love someone, as simple as that, you just realise you hate them and that's really all there is to it.

It's also a rush of power. There's a feeling of invincibility that goes with it. A sort of frightening magic. A recklessness, an indifference to outcomes.

Hatred typically stems from two pathways: 1. Bitterness due to a mistake or misdeed that cannot be let go as unforgiveness takes root in your heart. 2. Blatant hypocrisy or ignorance.

There is always a bridge to understanding if you are willing. Some are unwilling. That's a choice.

I don't hate anyone. I probably should, but I can't. There are two men that I should abhor with every fiber of my being, but I'm moved to compassion for them in their abject frailty, despite them harming me or my family in grave ways (equating to prison sentences for each for separate reasons). I don't need to know why. I don't need a definitive answer on motivations or intentions (those will remain unknowns). All I know is that I have the choice, and I choose every day to let go and to forgive. I refuse to be bitter, to dry up like a hollow tumbleweed, lain to waste in the desert. I refuse to be that way.

As for ignorance, that usually comes from assumptions based on little information or an adherence to biases left unchecked. Hypocrisy leading to hatred, well that's typical of those who look down on everyone else, despite doing the same things they judge others for. That sort of thing propagates hatred like wildfire, and the sad part is, in their fervent torching of the Earth, they even burn themselves without realizing it.

The psychologist I've been talking to says that there are ways in which hatred is very similar to love, both extremes of passion, both indications that a relationship matters to us a great deal.
I've heard of this as well. A friend of mine once said to me, that the opposite of love wasn't hate, but apathy.
If so, is it better to hate somebody than to feel numb to them? to nothing them?
We can hate somebody we also love. But for somebody we are indifferent towards, there is no more.

Reactions: Wyote and acd
I've heard of this as well. A friend of mine once said to me, that the opposite of love wasn't hate, but apathy.
If so, is it better to hate somebody than to feel numb to them? to nothing them?
We can hate somebody we also love. But for somebody we are indifferent towards, there is no more.
Reminds me of this lol
I watched it with my kid! :laughing:

Love and hatred are opposite.

Love is the desire for what gives joy. Hatred is the aversion to what gives pain.

No human person or society is entirely good or entirely bad, so we're constantly living a mixture of joy and pain, of love and hate.

But... so many people have been raised, sheltered from danger, pain, consequences, and deprivation... that many people cannot tolerate even a little pain in their lives. That is to say, many people will hate greatly over minor displeasures and inconveniences.

Americans seem especially defined by what they hate. They are not polarised over what they love more (Coke or Pepsi), but over what they hate more. It is unsustainable, and will implode. Those who don't hate, the meek, will inherit the scorched land.