Green Lantern Movie | INFJ Forum

Green Lantern Movie

VH

Variable Hybrid
Feb 12, 2009
MBTI
NFJedi
Just saw it. Meh. I'll give it a C+. It wasn't a bad movie, but I've seen better episodes of Smallville. The dialogue was terrible. The pacing was awful, and the plot was rather weak, complete with a few terribly forced scenes. I'd honestly suggest waiting for video or going to a matinee if you want some big screen superhero eye candy. It was an uninspired, same old, and generally blah carbon copy origin story. However, the effects were nice, and they captured the essence of the Green Lanterns pretty well. I doubt I'll even bother picking up a copy on DVD.

At best the Green Lantern is a second-tier superhero, at worst, third-tier. He's no Batman or Superman and even The Punisher has more appeal. I saw the previews for this and thought they must be getting desperate for some new superhero candy.

I just hope Warner Brothers stay the fuck away from the Sandman.

Reactions: Jill Hives
He is my superhero. Those who have some time on this forum know that. If done properly, any superhero arch can be great. Origin stories are always challenging. I've already read the reviews by people I respect, so I know what we have here. It's pretty frikkin typical of Hollywood nowdays. Spend a lot of money on the CDI, get a few big named actors, and let it ride. When in the hell are they going to realize that the script and director are where it gets done!? I will go and see it and judge it for what it is...but when it falls short as I know it will I'll curse the shortcuts for what they left behind. Green Lantern is not a third rate hero. He is actually the third highest seller in the DC Universe behind Batman and Superman.

The Corps have a long and varied tradition that the movies should draw on more. From everything I have read, THAT is the down fall. Too much time spent on Earth and the mundane stuff. This could be about a much wider scope and more of a Sci Fi type of hero.

Green Lantern inspired me to read comics when I was younger, and I have not seen the movie yet but I am planning on seeing it this summer. I hope it is a good movie

Green Lantern inspired me to read comics when I was younger, and I have not seen the movie yet but I am planning on it this summer, and I hope it is a great movie.

In my opinion, Green Lantern: First Flight was a much better movie. If they'd have simply turned that film into a live action flick, tweaked it here and there to tighten the pacing a little and let Reynolds ham it up here and there, they'd have had a smash hit.

The problem with Hollywood and superhero movies is that they can't wrap their heads around superheroes. Every now and then, they get it right, but for the most part they cling to the Hollywood approach to storytelling and expectations and attempt to add the superhero element to that. This genre never works that way, but each time they try this and fail, they blame the fans. Obviously it couldn't be their fault since they stuck to the tried and true Hollywood approach to storytelling.

Here's my solution:

1. Hire writers and directors who are actually fans of comic books. People like Joss Whedon, Kevin Smith, etc.
2. Stay out of their way.
3. Profit.

I agree GL is great, but Hollywood (especially in cranking out summer blockbusters) just can't get the writing right. Relying on spiffy special effects is simply not enough.

Meh, Green Lantern... Doesn't matter what you say, it still feels to me as though they're desperately grasping at straws when they came up with this one. Might as well make a Plastic Man movie. Or how about some sub-characters from The Tick - "The American Maid Movie" or "Sewer Urchin: The Movie" :pound:

Okay, I'll just wait for it to come out on Red Box then.

Anyone seen Super 8? I'm wondering if that is any good.

I had bad feelings about this movie when I saw the previews/casting choices. Idk, it just didn't seem right. I'll probably skip it altogether with all that I've heard about it. The animated features are probably better, anyhow.

Never a fan of Green Lantern. Not HAL anyway. Or Ryan Reynolds. A live action Justice League movie would be awesome...JLA to be specific...

Okay, I'll just wait for it to come out on Red Box then.

Anyone seen Super 8? I'm wondering if that is any good.

Off topic:

Just saw it, and it was damn good. The reviews were right. The suspense was built very well, and the pacing was perfect. Whenever I thought I might get bored, something happened.

In other news, Super 8 was very good.

[MENTION=20]Satya[/MENTION] I meant to say that in my rep comment but I'm eating popcorn at the same time, which is why I wrote su. I don't know why I didn't pm this. Imma just stop writing now.

Reactions: Satya