Greedy capitalist exploiting labor in China being held hostage | INFJ Forum

Greedy capitalist exploiting labor in China being held hostage

Gul Dukat

Community Member
May 29, 2013
MBTI
IMFU
I already posted it on the capitalism thread, but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks about this:

http://abcnews.go.com/International...-hostage-china/story?id=19481659#.UcpNCDtSguc

I'm raging pretty hard right now. Everyone knows that shitty things are happening in China, but for some reason this story helps it all seem a lot clearer. We've actually reached the point where paying workers less than $200/month to do all of your work for you is unacceptable to the capitalists.

I hope that this keeps on happening... if Chinese workers start taking a stand, it's going to benefit everyone... and eventually us as well.

This reminds me of the companies that Mitt Romney and his Son own in China that weren't in the news at all during the last election...same old garbage.

Well, that's one way to get things done.

I don't really like the way this ABC article depicts either party. It's slanted - almost imperceptibly - in a way that portrays Starnes as a normal guy held at the behest of a bunch of greedy, uneducated workers.
This CBS article is a bit more descriptive and impartial.

The bit about the plant being recently unproductive seemed to be just dropped in there and then left unexplored; I'd like to see where that trail leads because, if the workers just weren't putting out and that was getting them cut from the payroll, that could totally flip who is seen as "in the wrong" in this situation.

I'm glad that people are getting angry about things like unlivable wages and poor working conditions and I hope this works out well for everyone involved (even Starnes, despite being a morally repugnant human being.) For capitalism to even come close to working, people need to make it very clear when they're dissatisfied with the economic balance, and these workers are doing an important thing to make sure that it works a little more than it does right now.

I think the US corporate media likes to demonise other countries to distract americans from the fact their own economy is dying and that their country is full of poverty and corruption and is becoming a police state