GREAT IDEAS

myself

Permanent Fixture
Apr 1, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
had any great ideas lately?

lets share some inspired thoughts

listening to the news today on my way home from work, wikigov popped into my head

our government is lame and sluggish. why not let the people work on the issues?

why should we pay legislators to do what we can do?

we've got the resources, we've got the brain power, we've got the motivation, we just need a medium.
that's the idea... at least.

people working on fixing problems at every level, local to global.

it'd look like craigslist and wikipedia.

let the people bat ideas around concerning taxes, pollution, education, foreign policy

at least it'd educate people on the issues

get people thinking about ways they can make a change

if an idea gained momentum, if it made sense, why couldnt we pitch it to our president?

yknow?

wikigov

alternative governing, by the people

just an idea

is it stupid or what?

Reactions: starshine
Interesting if nothing else, it has potential.

eyes = light ports

light carries info

i want to run some tests but i have no brain imagery technology

i think there must be a way to figure out what is going on when two people gaze into each others eyes

i bet it could be measured

maybe it could be recreated with a computer, and some specially coded light beam

i wonder if we could share thoughts/feelings through something like this

maybe an essential step in creating real AI

...not that I want that...

but maybe we could make an empathy machine...

THINK ABOUT IT

http://ahsmail.uwaterloo.ca/kin356/dorsal/structure.htm

eyes = light ports

light carries info

i want to run some tests but i have no brain imagery technology

i think there must be a way to figure out what is going on when two people gaze into each others eyes

i bet it could be measured

maybe it could be recreated with a computer, and some specially coded light beam

i wonder if we could share thoughts/feelings through something like this

maybe an essential step in creating real AI

...not that I want that...

but maybe we could make an empathy machine...

THINK ABOUT IT

http://ahsmail.uwaterloo.ca/kin356/dorsal/structure.htm

i like this. not only eye contact, but transfer of encoded data to the brain via the optic nerves.
direct line to the brain, just need some way to encode the data into visual information, such as images and video, at a rapid rate. the brain picks up on everything subconsciously. it'd pick up all the encoded images in the data packet. once it's "downloaded" into the subconscious, find a way to retain it, and decode it to usable form.
i'm sure it could work. Something like the Intersect Project from Chuck.
in a way the brain is like an organic computer: the most powerful out there. we only use a fraction of our brains. we have figured out how to transfer data wireless to computers, why not to our brains?

Last edited:
As an inventor and having started three companies, I have found that ideas per se are a dime a dozen. It's the implementation that counts. That's the hard part. Luck is also important. Therefore, the best way to succeed is to try to implement as many ideas as you can and maybe one or two will work out. Successful people are persistent.

Pickled meatballs.

a Pill that enables sleep for very long periods of time, and you can live in your imagination the entire time and spend a lifetime exploring in perfect detail. Seems unattainable? Naaa. xD

Teaching my children speed reading at a very young age. :D

Why--to what end?

(Please don't become a "helicopter parent.")

Because it's a skill worth learning and puts them at an advantage.

What's a helicopter parent?

Tired of constantly loosing your cell phone, key, and other objects of high importance?

here should be an installed detector that it is almost impossible to remove. If it gets lost, there should be an emergency code one can dial to announce the lost and tell you the location of the lost item.

Tired of constantly loosing your cell phone, key, and other objects of high importance?

here should be an installed detector that it is almost impossible to remove. If it gets lost, there should be an emergency code one can dial to announce the lost and tell you the location of the lost item.

much like Lo-Jack or the siren/scream function the Google Droid has.

Because it's a skill worth learning and puts them at an advantage.

What's a helicopter parent?

I believe that children learn to read when they're ready and shouldn't be pushed to do so any earlier. In my opinion, beyond a certain, comfortable reading speed, the speed at which one reads becomes inversely proportional to comprehension. It is better to teach reading in the context of critical thinking and analysis. In the U.S., this kind of reading and thinking (and the two are inextricably intertwined) is too rare both in the schools and in society. I think the best way to get kids to read, is to read to them every night before bed and at other times. Nothing works better, at least in my experience.

Helicopter parents hover continuously over their children, helping with homework, programming every minute of their waking hours, and excessively intruding into their lives so that their children never have a minute to themselves to daydream, think, play, and just be kids. This is motivated by some inchoate goal of helping their children become more competitive and "successful" in life. In practical terms, it translates into getting their children into the best nursery schools (!), and, eventually, the best colleges, best hedge funds/merchant banks/law firms/medical practices, etc., with the ultimate desire that their children become wealthy and "successful." Helicopter parents tend to be found in the larger U.S. cities and their more affluent suburbs. Perhaps there are "helicopter parents" in Canada and elsewhere. I don't know. I do, however, believe it is harmful to children both because it prevents them from ever really being children and, ironically, from ever growing up.

Reactions: myself
[MENTION=1678]Norton[/MENTION], well said.
with all our efforts to raise super kids, we will probably end up stunting them.

speed reading is not a great idea,
comprehension is where it's at.

the best thing we can do as parents is to give our love and attention.
babies especially need love and affection... our brains cannot physically develop without it.

throughout childhood, love is the best thing
it's the best investment we can make for their future

..Speed reading is still about comprehension.
It's just a different technique of reading that doesn't rely on you hearing yourself read in your head. It doesn't compromise comprehension or retention when done and learnt well.

Last edited:
@Norton, well said.
with all our efforts to raise super kids, we will probably end up stunting them.

Agree to an extent. If the material is dense, it doesn't work as well. Speed reading is not effective when the material studied has to be learnt in depth and when needed to complete critical analyses. And speed reading is affected by how familiar you are with the material. If you know a subject well enough, you can speed through it quickly, but if you don't, it will take more time to process and read through it, leading to slower reading times.

And we each have different learning styles and process different types of material at various paces. So, my reading level may be high when I reading one subject but be quite low when reading about another.

So, i guess it's relative

Agree to an extent. If the material is dense, it doesn't work as well. Speed reading is not effective when the material studied has to be learnt in depth and when needed to complete critical analyses. And speed reading is affected by how familiar you are with the material. If you know a subject well enough, you can speed through it quickly, but if you don't, it will take more time to process and read through it, leading to slower reading times.

And we each have different learning styles and process different types of material at various paces. So, my reading level may be high when I reading one subject but be quite low when reading about another.

So, i guess it's relative

true. not all material is meant to be speed-read - that's one of the first things the teach you in a speed reading course. The more you practice, however, the easier it might be to speed read more dense material. For instance, I can speed read my music textbook a bit, but not going to try that with A Tale of Two Cities

you're right about taking more time to process. If you try to speed read something you're not ready for or that is not meant to be speed-read, it will lower comprehension and eventually take longer. Trying to lessen fixations and use a lot of peripheral is not a good idea in dense material.

When I was in College, oh, so many years ago, there was a joke about a guy who took the Evelyn Woods Speed Reading course. He said that, as a last project in the course, he read War and Peace by Tolstoy. So, his friend asked him what it was about. His answer: "Russia."

had any great ideas lately?

lets share some inspired thoughts

listening to the news today on my way home from work, wikigov popped into my head

our government is lame and sluggish. why not let the people work on the issues?

why should we pay legislators to do what we can do?

we've got the resources, we've got the brain power, we've got the motivation, we just need a medium.
that's the idea... at least.

people working on fixing problems at every level, local to global.

it'd look like craigslist and wikipedia.

let the people bat ideas around concerning taxes, pollution, education, foreign policy

at least it'd educate people on the issues

get people thinking about ways they can make a change

if an idea gained momentum, if it made sense, why couldnt we pitch it to our president?

yknow?

wikigov

alternative governing, by the people

just an idea

is it stupid or what?

No - it's not stupid.

Although I'm not so sure about the brain power. In my experience the majority of the people are busy "Doing' instead of "reflecting on knowledge". To be fair we all have to expend many many hours a week that revolve around work - whether it be appearance, transportation to and from, actual time spent on the job, and worrying about it in some way. So - I think that doesn't leave much time for people to read and integrate new knowledge or awareness.

Something that occured to me when I read this, is that in TX, they will announce public hearings where you can speak on a particular issue. BUT - a person has to travel all the way to the capital, Austin, to attend the hearing. Considering how big this state is, that pretty much precludes the average individual from presenting their ideas and things usually get done without the input of the common man.

In view of that - a place on the internet where a person could have input into an issue would be an excellent idea. Except now - you have to have someone working for the congressman to read what any individual would post on this space.
If congress would actually trust -say - a committee of regular people to come up with the solution to a problem and then implement it - then we could have a wikigov of committees. But I doubt they would to that.

In my profession, we have our own presence in the congressional law making process. There are thousands of bills introduced every session from every quarter. We were taught in class, that the best way to get a congressman to even consider a bill, you have to present it in such a fashion so the idea can be read while he is walking from point A to point B. The idea/concept/summary had to be able to be read in as little as 5 minutes. !!!! I was amazed at this information.

If we had enough persons voted in to congress who would welcome such an idea - then maybe it could be implemented over time. Yet - I'm firmly convinced the power mongers will NEVER let that happen.

IMO we need term limits so we can get the old ways of thinking out sooner. And maybe then we can begin the process of overhauling the system.