Mogura

Community Member
Dec 18, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Dunno
Hey guys,

I am thinking about going to graduate school as a way of career change. Short-term, I want to learn something new, I want to learn something different, I want to learn something in-depth. I want to challenge myself and dust off my brain and start using it again. I want to follow my passion! Long-term, I would like to become a college professor (it was a dream I had when I was doing my undergrad) or a researcher in academia. This is something I have been thinking about for a long time.

I have a Bachelor's degree, so I know that I have a few years of study and research ahead of me (i.e., Master's, PhD, post-doc). I am not above "paying my dues" and putting in a little hard work and effort to get there. (As long as I am funded--which is typical for the sciences--I am in no hurry to graduate.)

The thing is, it has been about 12 years since I graduated with my BS. I would not be pursuing the same field in my graduate study as my undergrad, but nevertheless I would probably need to take some undergrad courses to make up for deficiencies/get up to speed. I am thinking that if I complete the equivalent of a minor in that field in course work, then that should suffice. Anyway, I checked the admissions requirements, and my undergraduate major does not preclude me from admission, so I should be good in that respect.

I spent a year doing research for my senior thesis (undergrad), and I loved it.

What I am wondering is, has anyone else done this? What I mean is, have you gone to graduate school after being away from academia for so many years? When I get my PhD, I won't be as young as the other "doctors", so I am wondering if I would bust my ass for so many years only to end up being discriminated against for teaching/research appointments on basis of age.

Any comments? Words of encouragement or discouragement? Pitfalls? Gotchas? Woo-hoos?

Thanks...

Last edited:
As a PhD program dropout, I advise you not to go into graduate studies. The course of work you perform involves politicking with professors, and hoping that you've picked the right branch of study that could get you done as soon as possible.

I was in a mathematics program, and there was a big contrast between the pure and the applied math courseload. Pure math people would have to spend 3-4 years piling definitions upon definitions in order to even understand their assigned dissertation topic, which was usually handed to them by their advisor. Applied math types could get into analyzing some fashionable physical model immediately after their Master's-level work, and could be done in as little as 2 more years. Plus the aforementioned politicking came into play when it came time for qualifying exams.

But, and this is a big 'but', all these PhD candidates had as much as 6-10 years of Post-Doc hell to wade through before they could even get into a tenure-track position. They'd still have to research in topics chosen by someone else, they'd still have to endure long working hours for poor pay.

After talking with grad students in other fields, they each had similar hurdles and varying degrees of required foundation coursework ahead of them before they could even work on their dissertation. You might be able to choose your own topic, but have to be able to exhaustively research the field to make sure noone else has written about what you hope to write on, or your advisor will assign something to you (and you'll like it--or else!). Oh yeah, plus the politicking.

My advice would be to thoroughly research the options you have at the place you have chosen to continue your studies. It can vary greatly from country to country.

I have many friends on various PhD and post doc studies around the world and their experiences vary greatly. First the amount of work you have to do varies greatly from place to place for people in the same or similar programme. Some Academias prefer to have their professors from Academias of other countries, so they'll send their Master's students to do their PhD somewhere else, or they'll recruit PhD students from other places themselves.

It is true that there is a lot of politicking, but how much exactly also varies.

My plan is to pursue PhD while working in a place where research is necessary, thus I won't have to be at the University all the time, and I'll have a say in my thesis and in my research to some extent greater than I might have if I were to just pursue PhD and do nothing else. Also there is less politicking that way, because I won't be seen as an opponent for a place at faculty.

When it comes to the long break you have had, I think it's like riding a bike, you'll find your tempo soon enough.

@DArcMattr Ummm... After spending 10 years working in IT in the financial industry, dealing with retards, douchebags and whores, and putting up with mediocrity for mediocrity's sake and life as a cog in a huge fluff-generating machine, I would have to say that you make graduate school sound pretty good (despite your negative experience).

I guess for those who go straight on to grad school after getting their Bachelor's. there is that push or drive to get out, get a job, and start making money (and paying back their loans and whatnot). If I am funded, and the funding is enough to make ends meet in a way that I don't experience negative cash flow, then I'm in no rush to leave. I'm used to living a fairly abstemious lifestyle (I live in a rabbit hutch, mind you).

I would like to have some sort of say over the topics I research, etc. I'm a control freak like that.

Last edited:
Short-term, I want to learn something new, I want to learn something different, I want to learn something in-depth. I want to challenge myself and dust off my brain and start using it again. I want to follow my passion! Long-term, I would like to become a college professor (it was a dream I had when I was doing my undergrad) or a researcher in academia.

These are damn good reasons to go back to school and if that's your motivation and expectation, go for it!

Unfortunately, degrees aren't what they used to be (here in the US, that is) and a degree doesn't really guarantee you much. Although you won't have years of experience under your belt, you'll have genuineness and passion to set you apart from the masses. Any employer could see the commitment level involved in earning a degree and changing careers after more than a decade.

I got my master's degree right after my undergrad, but it wasn't for the passion. It was a great experience, but I was under too much pressure to really enjoy it.

I'm sort of in your boat. I received my BA in English years ago and I was working on library science but I've switched to English and linguistics this term (for my Masters). Sometimes you have to look at it as a new opportunity, and sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture (reason why you're going into the field, what you'll gain from it, is it worth the time and effort, etc). Sometimes it helps to wait to get your Masters because then you do have a more objective view and you have an idea of what you want to do.

Me, I'd like to finish my Masters and then obtain a PhD in English (or cultural studies). We'll see what happens with life.

Are you planning on studying in Japan, or elsewhere? The hierarchical academic systems in Japan and, somewhat, in Europe, can delay professional advancement because tenure counts more than brilliance and achievement. Academics appear to be less hierarchical in the US and Canada.

Are you planning on studying in Japan, or elsewhere? The hierarchical academic systems in Japan and, somewhat, in Europe, can delay professional advancement because tenure counts more than brilliance and achievement. Academics appear to be less hierarchical in the US and Canada.
I am considering stying in the US for the time being. I would be open to studying in the UK, Europe, New Zealand or Australia, but I am not sure whether securing funding (a teaching or research fellowship) would be possible, given that I am a non-citizen of those countries (I am a citizen of the US)...

I'm going through the same thing (probably a different field) and I can say for a fact that it all depends on your major/field. My goal is to study Animal Sciences/Ethology. There are only about 6 colleges in the US that offer the degree and once in, there's a lot of theory as well as hand-on work involved. I've worked in that field for 8 years though so I already know I love the work.

I'm also struggling with justifying the costs at the moment. Jobs in this field are widely available, but most of them are non-profits. Although I really like the idea, my bank account starts to hemorrhage just thinking of where I'll be in 5-6 years from now.

On the other hand, having a PhD in this field, is the only degree worth having in this field. Non-profits we're talking about would be only the biggest and best like the World Wildlife Fund, Humane Society of the United States, Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine, etc. not your local animal shelters. Those are the ones that would look for the background I'd be in school for.

If I didn't have any background in the field, I might be a bit wary of trying to enter a graduate program in it. There are a lot of man-hours and money involved to end up not finishing the program.

My biggest problem really is the funding.... in a way I'm envious :(

I am considering stying in the US for the time being. I would be open to studying in the UK, Europe, New Zealand or Australia, but I am not sure whether securing funding (a teaching or research fellowship) would be possible, given that I am a non-citizen of those countries (I am a citizen of the US)...

You might be able to get funding in the US, particularly if what you're hoping to do is science. United States universities do not care where you are from as long as you are good.