the

Si master race.
Banned
Feb 17, 2009
MBTI
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
Does god have to act logically or predictably? Why?

Yeah, I think so.

I believe we get everything we create for ourselves and that it is the God in each of us that facilitates this process.
What we get is often not what our ego wants but it is always exactly what we need.
I think, being infinitely compassionate, God has created a very logical theatre of subjective experience.
But I do believe that there is a beyond-the-beyond, an absolute realm, where everything is completely deciphered and logic has little utility.

The man in the coat has morphed into the fallout boy.

What agreed upon definition of God should we discuss?

Reactions: dogman6126
Not necessarily, but humans certainly can't reason otherwise.

God is beyond understand logic i would go as far as say that God has no logic.....not as we label it anyways. And its not in the pronunciation if thats what your thinking. Obviously to explain our definition of our logic follows. Is it a systematic action...ive played a few puzzles that are suppose to improve logic or whatnot...and the principles of most the game had one common dominator, which was equivalence.

Anyhow...I really feel like i cant even right the rest becuase im bit dozy of codeine....ill post a bit more later.

I don't like saying it(makes me feel funny), but it should be noted that if God doesn't act logically or predictably it makes reasonable discussion nearly impossible. I do think it's easy to say that at least what we know from scripture God appears to have both logical actions and motives.

If there would be no God, there would be no logic and order.
So if God would exist, then yes, he acts pretty logically. At the basis of existence lies logic, not chaos.

I don't like saying it(makes me feel funny), but it should be noted that if God doesn't act logically or predictably it makes reasonable discussion nearly impossible. I do think it's easy to say that at least what we know from scripture God appears to have both logical actions and motives.

Well that's true. But also I think that God would be so advanced and vast that human logic wouldn't be able to encompass it.

Imagine modern desktop computers. They work based on logic, but understanding how they work is not clear without aid and being able to understand all the myriad parts. Imagine how much harder to understand God would be, being so much more vast, and beyond examination.

It'd be logical but there's no way of telling how that logic pans out.

Reactions: Ren
Well that's true. But also I think that God would be so advanced and vast that human logic wouldn't be able to encompass it.

Imagine modern desktop computers. They work based on logic, but understanding how they work is not clear without aid and being able to understand all the myriad parts. Imagine how much harder to understand God would be, being so much more vast, and beyond examination.

It'd be logical but there's no way of telling how that logic pans out.

I'm not trying to limit God to our fallible nature, it's simply that If you say God is not bound by logic then a lot of the common understanding of God starts to fall apart. Like take the freewill/predestination debate. If God can indeed make a square circle or stone so large that he cannot lift but also simultaneously lift it. Then God should be able to simply wave his hand and bring every soul into heaven without invalidating them in any way, and the only reason he wouldn't do that is because he simply doesn't want to. Or if you take it a step further why couldn't God give us both free will and world without sin.

And I agree, we don't always understand God's logic, but most of us don't understand the logic of a fifth grader, our next door neighbors and best friends. That probably has more to do with us then God.

It's a bit of weird conversation, when you talk about the limitations of God, I've only ever accepted the Idea that God is limited to his own nature, he can not lie because his nature is truth, he must love us because his nature is love. That's what logic is, it's a set of rules and limits that define how we think and act, in this case God is logical because everything he does is governed by his own nature(the opposite is how humans govern themselves by things outside of their nature.)

I think there is a huge difference between what is possible logically and what is preferred logically.

What I mean to say by that is similar to our MBTI types we have all the functions equally and all are equally valid, but we differ in our preferences.

The illogical and the absurd exists in equal measure and are not so easily explained away.

Edit: Let me also clarify a usage of the word 'logical.' Logic is technically a field of study for reasoning. We find it used as a suffix in many other fields of study '-ology.'

We tend to use 'logical' as being synonymous with 'reasonable.' Illogical would be more equivalent to 'unreasonable' or 'irrational reasoning' because illogical is itself an illogical word if we consider it to be against the field of study for reasoning.

I read an author describe paradoxes as the prime numbers of philosophy and I believe that to be absolutely spot on if you understand how important the prime numbers are to mathematics.

Gödel's immense contribution to the field of mathematical logic rests on the power of a paradox and the implications it had towards the foundations of mathematics.

The foundational crisis of mathematics (in German Wikipedia article: Grundlagenkrise der Mathematik) was the early 20th century's term for the search for proper foundations of mathematics.

Several schools of the philosophy of mathematics ran into difficulties one after the other in the 20th century, as the assumption that mathematics had any foundation that could be consistently stated within mathematics itself was heavily challenged by the discovery of various paradoxes (such as Russell's paradox).

The name "paradox" should not be confused with contradiction. A contradiction in a formal theory is a formal proof of an absurdity inside the theory (such as 2 + 2 = 5), showing that this theory is inconsistent and must be rejected. But a paradox may either refer to a surprising but true result in a given formal theory, or to an informal argument leading to a contradiction, so that a candidate theory where a formalization of the argument might be attempted must disallow at least one of its steps; in this case the problem is to find a satisfying theory without contradiction. Both meanings may apply if the formalized version of the argument forms the proof of a surprising truth. For instance, Russell's paradox may be expressed as "there is no set of all sets" (except in some marginal axiomatic set theories).

Edit2: Also here's his answer to your question:

Gödel was a convinced theist. He held the notion that God was personal, which differed from the religious views of his friend Albert Einstein.

He believed firmly in an afterlife, stating: "Of course this supposes that there are many relationships which today's science and received wisdom haven't any inkling of. But I am convinced of this [the afterlife], independently of any theology." It is "possible today to perceive, by pure reasoning" that it "is entirely consistent with known facts." "If the world is rationally constructed and has meaning, then there must be such a thing [as an afterlife]."

In an unmailed answer to a questionnaire, Gödel described his religion as "baptized Lutheran (but not member of any religious congregation). My belief is theistic, not pantheistic, following Leibniz rather than Spinoza." Describing religion(s) in general, Gödel said: "Religions are, for the most part, bad—but religion is not". About Islam he said: "I like Islam, it is a consistent [or consequential] idea of religion and open-minded.

Last edited:
[MENTION=1848]Barnabas[/MENTION]

Well regarding the stone paradox, if God is infinitely powerful then such a stone would have to be infinitely heavy, which is logically ridiculous.

When you have something of that magnitude, things like 'lifting' or 'moving' become absurd. It would be like saying to lift the sun, or lift the universe, except it'd be even more ludicrous. How do you lift the sun? It's travelling through space! From where do you lift it??

It's an absurd concept.

Besides, if he made something that he couldn't lift, it'd be so massive that it would suck up the rest of the universe.

And besides. If God really made the universe then I'd say God has already done something more amazing and improbable than lifting a stupidly heavy rock.

Additionally lifting is relative.

If you had the heaviest thing in the universe, the size of a basket ball and of incredible mass, and the strongest man possible, standing on the surface of the earth, and the heaviest thing by some magic doesn't destroy everything with its incredible mass:

Let's say the strong man tries to lift this heaviest object off the ground, but he can't actually move it. But let's say that what does happen is that when he tries to lift the object, he pushes away the earth. Therefore to nearby observers on the earth it would appear the man has lifted the object, but actually it hasn't moved - the entire earth moved.

What about that, hmm?

Reactions: the
@Barnabas

Additionally lifting is relative.

If you had the heaviest thing in the universe, the size of a basket ball and of incredible mass, and the strongest man possible, standing on the surface of the earth, and the heaviest thing by some magic doesn't destroy everything with its incredible mass:

Let's say the strong man tries to lift this heaviest object off the ground, but he can't actually move it. But let's say that what does happen is that when he tries to lift the object, he pushes away the earth. Therefore to nearby observers on the earth it would appear the man has lifted the object, but actually it hasn't moved - the entire earth moved.

What about that, hmm?

I'm aware that it's an absurd example, it's also the most common one brought up in talks about God and logic so I figured it would be a good grounding point. It's the second example that's important and speaks about the character and nature of God.

It depends how God is defined. If God is traditionally defined as the one perfect being, then he cannot contradict himself by definition.

But if he cannot contradict himself, then he is always logical. An illogical God would sometimes act contrary to truth, and so would not be perfect, and so would not be God.

Reactions: Sandie33 and Wyote
This represents one of the differences between some of the eastern concepts and more Abrahamic concepts. Some of the former don't associate God with good, so much as something that doesn't have much of a constraint. In fact, many mystical traditions try to portray God as beyond both good/evil and logic. The two constraints that we usually consider most basic. Presumably to some, this is the greatest conceivable being (in a suitable sense -- obviously not a logical or ethical sense), because it is simply with no constraints whatsoever and is usually something like synonymous with Being.

The version many Christian philosophers would defend can't do non-good and can't contradict logic, and this isn't viewed as a constraint so much as a perfection. (Although, I have to say, it does raise the question: why create creatures who are prone to sin ... the usual defense that this is permissible because you're gifting them freedom doesn't apply, because Christian theology tends to often say God creates the world freely, so clearly he has some idea of free will without needing to be able to contradict his goodness by sinning.)

Reactions: Ren and Sandie33
Depends on the conception of god you are using. My understanding of God, which falls into a Judaeo-christian classification, would say no, he isn't bound by logic necessarily. However, I do believe that he would act within the bounds of logic as it is something very fundamental to the world he created. I think this must be based in some reasoning he used, and so likely reflects his own actions/thoughts.

Reactions: Ren