Getting what you wish for | INFJ Forum

Getting what you wish for

AJ_

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2012
MBTI
_
So it has had to happen to you at some point. At a certain time in life you think, “Wow, it would be great if I had...or if I could... or if I were...”. Then one day, somehow, you find yourself in the position where you now have, or you now can, or you now are...

Sometimes what you wished for happened without you really doing anything intentionally or consciously to make it happen - it just landed in your lap like a feather out of the clear blue sky. And maybe it was so unexpected that it took you some time to remember, “Wait a minute, didn’t I wish for this some time ago?” Sometimes the next sentence is “This is great!” and sometimes it is “What was I thinking! I don’t really want this!”

So, if this has happened to you, please share :) How did you feel? Did it feel natural? Surreal? Uncanny?

I wanted to share this short interview that Gene Wilder gave many years ago. This show was before my time but it’s supposed to be in front of a live audience, however, Wilder wouldn’t agree to an interview unless it was a closed set so that he could have a genuine conversation without spectators. He talks about getting what you wish for. He just seemed like such a genuine human being and I wanted to share his words with you if you haven’t already seen this.

Feel free to share or just reflect ;)

Be well y’all

Sometimes what you wished for happened without you really doing anything intentionally or consciously to make it happen - it just landed in your lap like a feather out of the clear blue sky. And maybe it was so unexpected that it took you some time to remember, “Wait a minute, didn’t I wish for this some time ago?” Sometimes the next sentence is “This is great!” and sometimes it is “What was I thinking! I don’t really want this!”

So, if this has happened to you, please share :) How did you feel? Did it feel natural? Surreal? Uncanny?

I don't know if this counts....because I was only 9 years old.

For as long as I could remember I wanted a horse. My parents used to tell everyone it was the 4th word I spoke consistently. Mom. Dad. Why. and Horse.
The year I turned 9 my Dad started talking to me about my yearning for a horse. We'd talk about details like who would do what and my chores and duties should it come to pass that I got one. I was always enthusiastic and promised to take care of it.
Then suddenly one day Dad brought a pony home. It was a paint Welsh pony named Cricket....and she was gentle and kind.
I clearly remember being stunned and was completely flat in my response when Dad and Mom proclaimed Cricket was mine.
I had no reaction. Nothing.
...and I turned around and said I want to go watch a TV show I had been waiting for and walked in to the house.
My parents were stunned.
The next morning when I walked outside and saw Cricket was still there I burst in to tears and then ran in the house to thank my parents. Dad kept saying "I couldn't believe how you acted! I thought how could I have been so mistaken about you wanting a horse??!!"
To this day I can't really explain my reaction. It was as if I was in a dream and didn't believe it was true or something....even though I was wide awake. [shrugs]
Of course from then on my love affair with horses bloomed and grew in to beautiful relationships over the years and continues to this day even though I don't have one anymore. Having horses in my lifetime is one of the greatest loves I've ever had!

Many years ago I was playing the xylophone in my high school band, We were invited to an international band competition in Vienna. Our completion piece had a complicated part for me that I botched every time I played it. . then there we were, on the stage in the auditorium, on the same stage that Mozart was stood on and the song began. . When my part came I played it flawlessly. . .I remember as soon as I completed the part saying, "holy shit" . . and then realized we were mic'ed. . fortunately, they didn't pick that up. . it was the only time I ever played it correctly. . divine intervention for sure

Feel free to share or just reflect ;)
Such a honest interview, frankly, it's a powerful ideology. Our wishes always seem so distant in such inestimable ways, yet if we didn't spend so much imagining the hardships we may go through, we'd just honestly try.
Thanks for sharing the video, I've never watched such sincerity as the one he's provided during that interview :)

I once wished I had a job in another department of my company that didn't actually have a req. It sounded infinitely more interesting than what I was doing at the time, and I felt like it was a perfect fit for me. I was pretty young back then, though - definitely not assertive at that point in my life to actually talk to the group and express my interest.

One day, the supervisor of that group called me into his office and point-blank asked me if I wanted to work for him. It was a very surreal moment.

Unfortunately, it took me two or three years to despite the fuck out of that job, but I eventually moved on to better things.

Reactions: Somnium and AJ_