Getting over that "N" bias.

Phoenix Down

Permanent Fixture
Jun 18, 2010
MBTI
ENTP
Enneagram
3w?
So most of us here on this lovely INFJ forum happen to be N types.
Fair enough... I mean last I checked most INFJs are Ni Doms
(shocking! I know)

But as far as type forums go, I've noticed that its not all that uncommon to see N types mingling with each other, but when an S type comes in well damn, no one really know's what to do.

It's like we're trying to be nice and helpful, but what IS nice and helpful?
And its funny, I always have to resist the urge to spell out absolutely everything because somewhere in my mind its been more or less carved out, that i must carve out things for S types, and that just isn't true... they have brains, they can recognize pattern, they aren't mindless drones.

I confess, I'm guilty. I'm prejudiced! Even though I understand that no type is any better than any other and that they all have their bla bla bla and typically, diversity is important (heh heh.... see what I did there :p)
I just like "N" types so much more!

Only these days, I'm finding that harder and harder to justify.
I mean If you look at your classic "things this type is likely to say" none of these "typical" sentiments are exclusive to type.
For example:
An SJ type might say "Anything worth doing is worth doing right"
Well to that I say "True that."
An SP type might say "Lets party!"
To that I say "Hell yeah!"
And just because the thought amuses me, an NF might say "lets all sit around the campfire and sing kumbaya"
Honestly, I'm down for that.

Okay so I think I've gotten off track enough... and I'm obviously not not capable of directing discussion in specific directions, but say what you will.
Do you have a "N" bias or prejudice?
Why come? Oh, and just for shits and giggles, what do you have against ENTPs >:D?

Yes. Yes. YES.

So guilty of this.

What really is lame is:

on a thread
xxintuition4lyfexx: Omg like cuz I'm the only N in my family no1 likes me im so rejected i hate that </3

another thread
personwhoknowshistypology: sensor are not less intelligent than intuiters they just process the information differently blahblahblah
xxintuition4lyfexx: omg dude no sensors r stoopid i would never have a sensor friend

Makes me wish you could slap people over the internet.

Reactions: jyrffw54
If I see myself getting uppity about N-types, I just remember all of those broken plates and misplaced items I just set down, and I wonder what could have been :m080:
I've always imagined the "perfect Ni dominant" as thinking out the worlds greatest problems, then being unable to fix them because he walked off a cliff while lost in thought xD

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyrus
I think for the N types like us, we have difficulty communicating our ideas to S types, duh. I think S types need more hard proof than N types. It's really hard arguing with my S friends because I take a bigger picture into account as well as the meaning behind what people say rather than just what is at face value.

For my S friends, they want an argument laid out into organized logical steps throughout the entire conversation. I will try to bring in another angle on the picture and they just don't understand because it is a little different than what was said a minute ago. They just tell me no, you aren't looking it from the other perspective when I did over a year ago.

S needs to know exactly how you got to the idea while N just ends up there after thinking about it for a while. N is spontaneous.

It also doesn't help us because N's are supposedly only about 25% of the population.

I have no problems with S types. That may come from thinking I was one for almost a year. Hyped up Si will do that.
But, most of my friends are sensors and we get along great.

i personally get along better with Ns so i'm naturally drawn to them, but i don't think they're superior or anything stupid like that.

Discover that you are actually very close friends with an S type, that will shake you out a lot of this bais. I am willing to bet nearly everyone on here is infact close friends with some kind of S type.

Discover that you are actually very close friends with an S type, that will shake you out a lot of this bais. I am willing to bet nearly everyone on here is infact close friends with some kind of S type.
i find myself drawn to ISFPs often and one of the best friends i've ever had was an ISTJ, so i couldn't care less about the stereotypes or the idea that Ns aren't supposed to get along with sensers or whatever. living by these rules, that's just no way to live. besides people will disappoint you if you never give them a chance and it's not hard to see why.

Reactions: IndigoSensor
I have an N bias, but too much of either is a bad thing. We all exist on an in-between spectrum, it's a preference after all, but I have more appreciation for the more abstract and mental side of things and that doesn't tend to go will with people shoved completely into the sensor world. It's a balance, for instance... I enjoy telling stories and hearing stories, which is more of a sensor thing to do, and many sensors like to look into the meaning of things and the deeper stuff, which I interpret as a more intuitive thing to do (head in the clouds).

What I get awfully tired of relating to are those who strongarm the sensor side, just as I can get frustrated with people strongarming the intuitive side. I get that awful "Ugh... god damn it..." sensation when I hear someone say "I don't know why anyone would major in philosophy, it's completely useless and doesn't have anything to do with reality" or when I find out that a party I'm going to is going to consist of watching football, playing cards, and talking about the fights they got into and the girls they hooked up with that one night at the club. Maybe that drifts into the more hardcore ST side of things though.

With people more are more balanced and have some intuitive and sensor aspects to them, things can dance between the physical realm and the mental realm in a great dynamic. Being with someone too heavily engrained in their N side (plowing theoretical stuff all night long without regard to reality) isn't a lot better than someone too heavily engrained in their S side (talking about only concrete reality all night long without regard to anything conceptual), but I do grow tired of the pure N conversations a bit more slowly. I'd rather see a witty comic who isn't very physically comedic than a physical one who is only funny because of the way he acts and not the things he says.

Like this!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QVvgMro3D0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QVvgMro3D0[/ame]

So on a scale of -50 (S) to 50 (N), I think I'd like about a 20 or so optimally, so that the sensor stuff becomes active and provides food and grounding for the "somewhat more active" intuition, which dances and plays but doesn't go too far into space. As long as one end of the spectrum isn't reached for a sustained period, everything is peachy keen for me. :p

Reactions: Blind Bandit
What really is lame is:

on a thread
xxintuition4lyfexx: Omg like cuz I'm the only N in my family no1 likes me im so rejected i hate that </3

another thread
personwhoknowshistypology: sensor are not less intelligent than intuiters they just process the information differently blahblahblah
xxintuition4lyfexx: omg dude no sensors r stoopid i would never have a sensor friend

Makes me wish you could slap people over the internet.

Sometimes when i get stressed out at work i lynch sensors.

I dislike sensors. I said it.

I dislike Ne, for as fascinating as it is, I long for meaning too much. Most Ne doms/aux simply don't care. For example, someone says something Ne says "look what you just said!"

I'm like "BUT WHAT DID I MEAN?"

XXNP: "WHO CARES YOU HURT MY FEELINGS!!"

"oh, lord."

I mean it's not necessarily Ne that does that, but Ni definitely cares more for meaning, which definitely turns me on.

I like people, not types. My best friend of 35 years is an ISFP. My brilliant brother is a Ph.D. in solid state physics and an ISTP. Judge people as individuals, not according to preconceived notions. Also, remember that introverts can be sociable and sensors, intuitive. And as a strong T, let me state incontrovertibly that I have feelings. There, I've said it!

Yes, there is an N bias, but of course we should treat people like individuals. However, to say that communication is not affected by the S vs. N distinctions is not true either. It is helpful to understand the two functions, even if one is not the preferred function, so that we can relate to someone with that function more effectively. Our style of communication is affected by type, despite our individual differences.

I believed my best girlfriend was an ENFP. I could swear my life on it. I let her do the test and she comes out ESFP.

So let say I believe it is hard to distinguish N from S. We can all be "deep" and we can all be in the mood to just "f@ck all blabla and just enjoy life". I can get annoyed by shallow talk about which famous guy is with which famous girl but I can also be annoyed by someone going on and on about his believes and insights when they totally doesn't resonate with me.

N is not better than S

Gehhh if I'm going to be perfectly honest, I've noticed I usually get along better with sensors than I do intuitives in my friendship-life.
I couldn't even pin-point precisely why. Am I the only one?

Reactions: IndigoSensor
N is not better than S

I agree, no one type is better than the other. But the issue is that we sometimes get very frustrated with each other over N vs S. The opposite cares deeply about what the other hates and this presents individual problems. I think that we can all agree here that society needs both N's and S's. We can be friends easily but there are parts of the S we N's we just can't fathom doing. It's a little like how Introverts are misunderstood by Extroverts and vice versa.

I have no N bias, for obvious reasons.
Everyone's the same, anyways.

I do not mean that in a friendly, inclusive way.
We will all become equal failures.
We will all compromise ourselves.
And our ideals.

Being an S or an N has little do to with integrity.
Which is what I value.

But I suppose if you are more receptive to intelligence.
(Depth of thought. Not IQ.)
Then a prejudice is understandable.

But realize sensors experience a visceral world.
We don't need a mind to retreat to.
There is a universe in every touch.
Endless wonder.
Or horror.
(If you are morbid.)

I have no N bias, for obvious reasons.
Everyone's the same, anyways.

I do not mean that in a friendly, inclusive way.
We will all become equal failures.
We will all compromise ourselves.
And our ideals.

1.Under almost no circumstances are two people alike.

2. Some people do not compromise themselves or ideals. I really can't think of a time that I have compromised my morals, that is what idealists are for. Ideals can change though, which means it may look like you are compromising ideals from the outside.

3. Some sensors do need a mind to retreat to. They are the introverted sensors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Bandit
1.Under almost no circumstances are two people alike.

2. Some people do not compromise themselves or ideals. I really can't think of a time that I have compromised my morals, that is what idealists are for. Ideals can change though, which means it may look like you are compromising ideals from the outside.

3. Some sensors do need a mind to retreat to. They are the introverted sensors.

You know.
When I state absolutes, they are not meant to be taken as absolute.
Just mad scribbles.
Trying vainly to capture a momentary opinion.

However.

1. People can be evaluated using the same rubric.
We are very alike.
Different sets of memories are all which distinguish us.
I do not claim humans are identical.
But they are human.
That is enough to make assumptions.

2. And every change is a betrayal of the past self.
Necessary. Just unfortunate.
Stability must be developped. We all make mistakes.
Often, we do not realize we are crossing a line.
Until it is done, and we feel sick.
That is how we form our moral codes.
Through trial and error.

3. Perhaps this is true.
I had Se in mind.
But I meant to reference an affinity for aesthetics.
And raw beauty. Details.
The world brimming with information.

Apologies.

I am often wrong in many respects that I have not discovered.

I like sensors quite a bit.
My best friend is an ESTJ.
As in every relationship we
have our problems but for
the most part we get along
well.