Gathering and Keeping Stuff | INFJ Forum

Gathering and Keeping Stuff

Nixie

Resurrected
Aug 23, 2010
Oregon
MBTI
ENTP
I don't keep many things and I'm not afraid to toss stuff out. I typically delete PMs and E-mails either the same day or within a day or two of receiving them. I am not overly attached to stuff as an outward rememberance of a person or as something to bring back memories. I am content to allow a majority of details to fade away about my past and just have the memories of strong events stick with me. I don't typically blog (damn you Fe-Ray!) or journal or keep/take photos to preserve my day-to day activities.

I am not sure if this is typical of a NT or T in general to not get sentimental about things or attach significance to things and, to not be concerned with hanging onto things.

Do you think that F types are more likely to want to keep things as symbols of someone or something? Do you think it is more tied to whether you are a visual person?

I usually keep digital photos. The space isn't that much of an issue, so I don't see much of a point in deleting them.

Otherwise, if something is bound to collect dust (whether from use or non-use), I'm likely not to bother. I used to, but I've found that my memories serve the same purpose as the objects.

I don't keep many things and I'm not afraid to toss stuff out.

LOL. Same here. I'm a little obsessed actually. If it isn't useful. I don't keep it. In addition to deleting PMs and email. I also delete histories unless there is something useful to catalog. There rarely is. I also sort, file and dump my mail immediately. My home could be considered stark. There are no photos of family members displayed, greeting cards, or strictly ornamental pieces. I own three large framed posters. Two are stored in a closet and one is just balanced on top of my desk. I don't keep books unless I consider them reference and even then very few.

I don't keep many things and I'm not afraid to toss stuff out. I typically delete PMs and E-mails either the same day or within a day or two of receiving them. I am not overly attached to stuff as an outward rememberance of a person or as something to bring back memories. I am content to allow a majority of details to fade away about my past and just have the memories of strong events stick with me. I don't typically blog (damn you Fe-Ray!) or journal or keep/take photos to preserve my day-to day activities.

I am not sure if this is typical of a NT or T in general to not get sentimental about things or attach significance to things. To not be concerned with hanging onto things.

Do you think that F types are more likely to want to keep things as symbols of someone or something? Do you think it is more tied to whether you are a visual person?

I can relate. I can easily throw stuff away if it is of no practical value (aside from pictures or very personal letters).

I do, however, keep a journal, blog occasionally and take photographs often...especially of my children and nature/landscapes.

I don't know if there is a tie through personality type (my INFJ wife tends to be a bit cluttered with certain memorabilia, but she can toss out the knickknacks with the best of em'). My mom is an ISFJ; she keeps all sorts of strange things that remind her of an occasion- receipts, bulletins, she even has a parking pass from my college graduation in her closet-full-o-nostalgia.

I get rid of almost everything. I don't know if it's because I move a lot or I don't care, but I have a tendency to throw everything in the garbage that I possibly can. I don't like forming sentimental attachments to anything if I can help it. There are some things that I will hold onto "just in case." I don't save emails or PM's, but I don't actively delete them. The just kind of continue to build in my inbox and I forget about them. I don't even go into my email unless someone tells me they've sent me something. I won't think to look otherwise.

My mom is an ISFJ; she keeps all sorts of strange things that remind her of an occasion

It's funny. I don't keep mementos, no photos, no letters or quirky gifts. I do not wish to be reminded regardless of the memories being good or bad.

I'm a thrower as well. I don't like clutter. I don't really get nostalgic streaks, so no point in keeping stuff.

I toss stuff all the time. . but I keep oddball stuff as rememberances of family. . nothing of any value, but things that remind me of them. .

I keep everything. if you lend me something, I'll keep it, forever.

I think not wanting to keep junk is a Ni thing. Me, I'm kind of a packrat. More so information wise. I have GBs of images on my HD. I like collecting and having things handy.

I am a big packrat.
Not cause my old things have any value to me, I'm just too lazy to bother getting ride of them xD

I think not wanting to keep junk is a Ni thing.

Could be. I've heard Ni is easily overwhelmed by chaos and clutter. I only have one item on my desktop for similar reasons. Any more than two things on it, and I begin to twitch.

Depends on what you call 'clutter'; If unneeded, yes, I'll throw them. But if needed, and the shape just happened to be clutterish, then it's not.