Fractal Geometry | INFJ Forum

Fractal Geometry

#@&5&49

Mar 4, 2012
MBTI
Inf?
Can someone please give me a layman's definition of fractal geometry. Something simple enough for a nine year old to understand. If you have any images that would be appreciated too.

[MENTION=5224]Sadie[/MENTION]

[video=youtube;DK5Z709J2eo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK5Z709J2eo&feature=relmfu[/video]

Reactions: AUM and #@&5&49
[MENTION=2873]Serenity[/MENTION],

That's exactly what I needed. Thank you tons and tons. :hail:

Last edited:
Thank Vi ! She is empress of making complicated math, simple without seeming to try to!

A fractal is a self-repeating or self-similar pattern. See also: Recursion

It's significance is is due in large part to the concept of infinity and the infinitesimal.

Reactions: #@&5&49
Thank you for this guys. I had to go over this with some students.

A fractal is a self-repeating or self-similar pattern. See also: Recursion

It's significance is is due in large part to the concept of infinity and the infinitesimal.

I'd like to add, that there are (in the sense of mathematical existence) fractals which aren't self-similar. But constructing those graphicly should be tricky. :)

Can someone please give me a layman's definition of fractal geometry. Something simple enough for a nine year old to understand. If you have any images that would be appreciated too.

jgirl loves fractal images!!
f3.jpg Fractal-Mobius-Dragon-IFS-10.jpg images.jpg

Reactions: #@&5&49
I'd like to add, that there are (in the sense of mathematical existence) fractals which aren't self-similar. But constructing those graphicly should be tricky. :)

We're working on some of those right now - thanks [MENTION=5052]joz[/MENTION]

We're working on some of those right now - thanks [MENTION=5052]joz[/MENTION]

You made me curious. For me a fractal is a set with a noninteger dimension (this view seems to be rather uncommon, as I had to find out). Those sets can be quite complex and mostly not even imaginable.

But it seems like you thought of something much easier than I have, so I'd be happy if you shared your example. :)

[MENTION=5052]joz[/MENTION], How would the grime on the face of your avatar look if it were reduced to fractals? How about the cells that make up your face, teeth, and eyes, etc. Have an image for that? :becky:

Last edited:
[MENTION=5052]joz[/MENTION], How would the grime on the face of your avatar look if it were reduced to fractals? How about the cells that make up your face, teeth, and eyes, etc. Have an image for that? :becky:

Way to get me on a cloud. Thanks. ^_^