Four Temperament Test | INFJ Forum

Four Temperament Test

i think i took this test somewhere.

I got 48% melancholy, followed by 28% sanguine

Your personality is Phlegmatic Melancholy.

Melancholy
Strength:6 Weakness:9 38%
Phlegmatic Strength:10 Weakness:6 40%
Sanguine Strength:2 Weakness:3 13%
Choleric Strength:2 Weakness:2 10%

Your personality is Melancholy Phlegmatic.
57% Melancholy Strength:11 Weakness:12
20%
Phlegmatic Strength:2 Weakness:6
13% Sanguine Strength:3 Weakness:2
10%
Choleric Strength:4 Weakness:0

Hello, I am an INTJ and I am curious about where do INFJ's fall in the Hippocratic Temperament theory.

INFJs should be some kind of Mel/Ph combination.

Your personality is Choleric Melancholy.

Choleric 45%
Melancholy 30%
Phlegmatic 18%
Sanguine 8%

Melancholy: [FONT=&quot]55%[/FONT]
Phlegmatic: [FONT=&quot]33%[/FONT]
Sanguine[FONT=&quot]: 10%[/FONT]
Choleric[FONT=&quot]: 3%[/FONT]

Melancholy Strength:13 Weakness:10 57%

Phlegmatic Strength:3 Weakness:7 25%

Sanguine Strength:1 Weakness:3 10%

Choleric Strength:2 Weakness:0 5%

I've noticed that, as a whole, INFJ's are Mel-Phlegs. At the INTP forum, they're mostly Phleg-Mel, and at the INTJ forum, they're mostly Mel-Chlors or Chlor-Mels.

Lol! Ok, I will drink your milkshake...
When I took this test years ago I was almost dead center between Mel & Phleg. Guess I'm getting more relaxed in my old age...

Mel - 33%
Phleg - 53%
Sang - 13%
Cho - 3%

Definitely seems to be a trend.

Personality: Melancholy Phlegmatic

Melancholy Strength:9 Weakness:10 48%
Phlegmatic Strength:9 Weakness:7 40%
Sanguine Strength:2 Weakness:1 8%
Choleric Strength:0 Weakness:2 5%

Melancholy - NF Idealist
Phlegmatic - NT Realist
Sanguine - SP Artisan
Choleric -
SJ Guardian

David Keirsey went over it in his book Please Understand Me II

Melancholy - NF Idealist
Phlegmatic - NT Realist
Sanguine - SP Artisan
Choleric -
SJ Guardian

This site here proposes the relationships differently: http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Warfield2.html
Chloeric - NT
Melancholy - SJ
Sanguine - SP
Phlegmatic - NF

This site here proposes the relationships are different again: http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Keirsey-Temperament-Sorter
Chloeric - NF
Melancholy - SJ
Sanguine - SP
Phlegmatic - NT

This site here has a table at the bottom that identifies which MBTI types relate to the four temperaments as per the test in this thread. The site is no longer available, so you need to see it in google cache mode - http://72.14.235.132/search?q=cache...gChlor+MelChlor+INTJ&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=au

Melancholy - NF Idealist
Phlegmatic - NT Realist
Sanguine - SP Artisan
Choleric -
SJ Guardian

I'm sure he's right off base with those correlations, NT is choleric. This is the system of typing I grew up with and one of the reasons I thought I was INTJ (Ch/Me) for so long, the conclusion I've come to is it's best not to mix different typing systems, it's just not that straight forward.

What I'm sure of is ENTJ is pretty much straight Ch, ENTP is Ch/Sa, INTJ is Ch/Me, INTP is Ch/Ph and INFJ is Me/Ph.

Thought this was funny, also should describe Choleric & Phlegmatic enough to see ain't no way NTs are Ph and SJs are Ch;

Now, let's take a few examples of how these different character types behave. It's said that you can tell a person's character type just by watching him in different situations.

First let's take the classic example of the flat hat. It's exaggerated, but it gives you an idea of the basic attitude these character types have towards life. Imagine that a sanguine person walks into a park and sits on a bench. He puts his hat down beside him and turns to read his paper. Meanwhile, someone comes and sits on his hat and the hat goes flat. When the sanguine person turns back and sees what has happened, he starts laughing. To him the hat looks so funny.

What happens if the same thing happens to a melancholic person? He sees his flat hat and he starts crying. "Oh, my beautiful hat, it's ruined. I got it from my grandfather, it had great sentimental value." Nothing the other person says or does can make things right anymore.

What about the choleric person? He sees his hat and is filled with rage. He turns red in his face and starts yelling: "Now look what you've done! What kind of an idiot are you? Do you know how much this hat cost? You're going to have to pay for it, you know." The choleric person will calm down only after he has been promised full compensation for the damage.

A phlegmatic person's reaction is quite different from the others. He waits until the other person has left. He takes his flat hat and puts it calmly on his head and walks away - whistling.

You can tell a person's character type by watching him drive a car. A sanguine person drives unpredictably. Sometimes he speeds and the next minute he slows down and soon speeds up again. And no one knows why. He likes talking and if he has company in the car he has trouble concentrating on driving. He likes to look people in the eye, even those who are sitting in the back seat. Sanguine persons are the ones with the most accidents.

Melancholic people are careful drivers. They drive according to speed limits and all other traffic regulations. They keep a driving diary. They study road maps in advance. They are the ones who always know the best route from place A to place B.

Choleric people are brave drivers. Some might even say too daring. They want to get from place to place FAST. They are always speeding. What could be a better way to save time, they think.

Phlegmatic people are Sunday drivers seven days a week. They are SLOW. They take their time enjoying the scenery. Sometimes they are so slow that they are a danger to other drivers.

You can tell a person's character type by watching the way he takes care of his garden. A sanguine person wakes up early Saturday morning full of energy. He's going to get a lot done today, he thinks. He gathers all his equipment and tools (he has a lot of tools because he can't resist buying them) and starts to work. But before long out comes his neighbor and they start chatting. They can talk for hours and before the sanguine person notices the day has gone and he didn't get anything done. He packs his stuff and says he'll do the weeding next week. He is a master at postponing things.

A melancholic person's garden is the most beautiful in the neighborhood. It's like a work of art. No weeds, and a lot of beautiful flowers. Melancholic people love their gardens and that you can really tell!

A choleric person hates working in the garden. But things have to be done, so he does them quickly and effectively. He doesn't have an eye for beauty; he wants things to be practical. You can usually tell it's a choleric person's garden by the extremely short-cut grass, bushes and trees.

The lawns of phlegmatic people look shabby. Well, it's no wonder. On Saturday mornings when all the others have already been working in their gardens for hours, the phlegmatic person is still in bed or sipping his 3rd cup of coffee. He has an amazing gift to rest. Some might even call him lazy.

Of these examples you have noticed that all the character types have both good and bad sides. Let's make a short summery of the most typical features connected with each character type:

A sanguine person is happy, friendly, warm, eager and has an ability to sympathize with others. He has lots of friends and everyone thinks he is fun company. But he is often very self-centered and he lacks self-control. He has a tendency to exaggerate and he is emotionally unstable.

A melancholic person is often extremely talented. He can analyze things very deeply. He has an eye for beauty. He is disciplined and diligent. But he has a whole load of dark sides. He is often pessimistic, and is depressed easily. He is too critical of himself and of others. He is revengeful and easily offended.

Choleric people are definitely leaders. They have a strong will. They are independent, practical, efficient and productive. When they get something in their mind nothing can stop them. Unfortunately, choleric people have to spend a lot of their time alone, as their social side is so poorly developed. They scare people away with their coldness and their angry and cruel words. They are insensitive and overly dominating.

It's easiest to get along with a phlegmatic person. He is calm and easygoing. His carefree attitude and good sense of humor attract people. He is stable and reliable and very diplomatic. But he is not perfect either. He is often irritatingly slow and unable to make up his mind. He is selfish and stingy. Sometimes he is totally indifferent to everything around him. All he's interested in is his daydreams.

Last edited:
I'm sure he's right off base with those correlations, NT is choleric. This is the system of typing I grew up with and one of the reasons I thought I was INTJ (Ch/Me) for so long, the conclusion I've come to is it's best not to mix different typing systems, it's just not that straight forward.

What I'm sure of is ENTJ is pretty much straight Ch, ENTP is Ch/Sa, INTJ is Ch/Me, INTP is Ch/Ph and INFJ is Me/Ph.
I agree with what I've bolded. It's like trying to correlate MBTI and enenagram - it's just not that straight forward.

Having said that, I agree with your assessment of the ENTJ, ENTP, INTJ and INTP. I tend to see SJ as melancholy and as such the INFJ as Me/Ph.

I tend to see SJ as melancholy and as such the INFJ as Me/Ph.

May have read me before I edited :D

The emotional aspect of Melancholies confused me for a while but they are the rule makers, ISFJ are some of the most emotional people around so I guess it fits leaving NFs are Phlegmatics.

Melancholy - NF Idealist
Phlegmatic - NT Realist
Sanguine - SP Artisan
Choleric -
SJ Guardian
Surprised people weren't arguing over the NT REALIST part.

Phlegmatic

Erich Adickes, Eduard Spränger, Ernst Kretschmer, and Erich Fromm all theorized on the four temperaments (with different names) and greatly shaped our modern theories of temperament. Hans Eysenck was one of the first psychologists to analyze personality differences using a psycho-statistical method (factor analysis), and his research led him to believe that temperament is biologically based. The factors he proposed in his book Dimensions of Personality were Neuroticism (N) which was the tendency to experience negative emotions, and the second was Extraversion (E) which was the tendency to enjoy positive events, especially social ones. By pairing the two dimensions, Eysenck noted how the results were similar to the four ancient temperaments.

A phlegmatic person is calm and unemotional. Phlegmatic means "pertaining to phlegm", corresponds to the season of winter (wet and cold), and connotes the element of water. While phlegmatics are generally self-content and kind, their shy personality can often inhibit enthusiasm in others and make themselves lazy and resistant to change. They are very consistent, relaxed, rational, curious, and observant, making them good administrators and diplomats. Like the sanguine personality, the phlegmatic has many friends. However the phlegmatic is more reliable and compassionate; these characteristics typically make the phlegmatic a more dependable friend.

This temperament type was created and is the intellectual property of these fellows. Therefore the definition belongs to these fellows. It doesn't matter that others come along later and completely misunderstand things, because they've already defined it.

Calm, Rational, Relaxed, Curious, Observant, Lazy.
NT Realist.