Forty somethings | INFJ Forum

Forty somethings

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Since, there's a thread on the thirty somethings, i'm kinda curious about the forty somethings because those in that age group on the site have a perspective which i think is more deliberate and more firm than younger age groups.

So, forty somethings, what is it like to be you? How do you think your perspective is different from younger generations?

:D

Something I can discuss.

what is it like to be you? How do you think your perspective is different from younger generations?

What's it like to be me? I keep forgetting how quickly time passes, and I really don't "feel" 40. Now, my body is telling me differently but mentally I don't feel in my 40s; I still feel like I'm in my 20s in my mind.

I tell you what, though, it is interesting to me that I saw the beginning of pocket calculators and I grew up with a transistor radio...and I knew about engines a little bit. I also feel the kiddos today take a lot for granted - or they have higher personal expectations. When I was growing up you asked for a bike for Christmas, and you probably didn't get it. Now, kids are asking for iPads, and they're getting them! Or PS3s and DS2s when they have perfectly functional older units in the garage. That makes me scratch my head. The internet is fascinating, but I think we all take it for granted as well.

We mentally implode if something happens and our electricity goes out for more than a day - and we're not worried about food spoilage, we're worried about our online chats and online games! :p

It floors me, yes it does.

I don't know how to answer that, it is a pretty broad question. I don't think that I am a typical 40 something anyway considering I don't have kids or a husband (whew! thank goodness). I live my life the way I want to, not terribly concerned with what others think of me--however, I have always been that way. There are times I feel older but for the most part, I don't really consider myself terribly old--I still feel immature and stupid at times. I can relate to the angst of some of the younger people because I remember how difficult it was to start seeing the world from a more adult perspective. I wouldn't go back to that 18 to 25 range for all the money in the world. I didn't find 36 terribly difficult (from the thirtysomething thread). I didn't freak out turning 40 either. I dunno, maybe I'm saving all my freak out for turning 50.

Ohh good point @arbygil;
The sense of entitlement I see in the younger generation is strange to me. I didn't have a car nor expect to get one when I was younger. I didn't get an allowance.

All the gadgets and crap too. I learned to type on a manual typewriter and still remember when computers first appeared in my school--I was in the 11th grade. Hell, I don't have cable or internet at my house. I have a pre-pay cell only cause I changed offices and I needed to keep track of my new absent minded philosopher supervisor via text. Only about 7 or so people have that number. I go for weeks without checking my home phone's messages and I only got that about 5 years ago although I have lived where I am at for about 10 years. I don't own a camera or an ipod. I don't care if you can get ahold of me or not when I am not at home. I think it is terribly rude to be playing with your phone and ignoring the real live flesh and bone human beings in the room with you.

Reactions: bamf
Ohh good point @arbygil;
The sense of entitlement I see in the younger generation is strange to me. I didn't have a car nor expect to get one when I was younger. I didn't get an allowance.

All the gadgets and crap too. I learned to type on a manual typewriter and still remember when computers first appeared in my school--I was in the 11th grade. Hell, I don't have cable or internet at my house. I have a pre-pay cell only cause I changed offices and I needed to keep track of my new absent minded philosopher supervisor via text. Only about 7 or so people have that number. I go for weeks without checking my home phone's messages and I only got that about 5 years ago although I have lived where I am at for about 10 years. I don't own a camera or an ipod. I don't care if you can get ahold of me or not when I am not at home. I think it is terribly rude to be playing with your phone and ignoring the real live flesh and bone human beings in the room with you.

+1. Yeah, i learned the keyboard on a manual typewriter in high school. I've never had an i-Pod, iphone, blackberry, nor any video game console growing up. I have a digital camera but rarely use it (although i want to take up photography again). I didn't grow up in high school with any modern technology except the radio, television, and phone and other typical household appliances. Only got access to internet in college. So, very similar @Sonyab