food allergies | INFJ Forum

food allergies

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Barnabas, Sep 9, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
More threads by Barnabas
  1. Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    A friend of mine found out this morning that she is allergic to a great many things.

Things like:
    dairy

wheat

gluten

eggs

anybody else have a similar problem, I took her out to dinner tonight to try and cheer her up but the only thing she could have on the menu was a baked potato and a piece of grilled chicken

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Gaze likes this.
  2. arbygil

arbygil Passing through

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Heh.

Allergies are my specialty, sadly. Mine didn't threaten my life, so I went ahead and ate the foods anyway. Now my immune system is so compromised that I'm keeping it really, really tight: No grains, few fruits, few dairy products (mostly yogurt and a tiny bit of cheese), no nuts except sunflower seeds and occasional almonds, meats, and veg (but no tomatoes or acidic fruits/acidic veg).

I ate eggs for a bit, but I had to rotate them out.

Things that help when I eat out are the more expensive plates - ones that contain meat and a veg, and I usually substitute the rice or potato with another veg. Salads with meats are lifesavers, and there are some really good and creative salads out there. Vegetarian places can sometimes accommodate various diet restrictions, and if you call restaurants ahead of time you can find out if they can cook something special for her. Fast food places are tough, but it's possible - the menus are often online, and many have started listing allergens and gluten-filled products.

It's not impossible; it just takes a bit of pre-planning to make it happen.

Also? Pick up a gluten-free cookbook from the library, and cook a meal for her. She'll love you for it. :D

Gaze and Barnabas like this.
  3. OP
    Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    it's funny, the restaurant we went to sad it had a gluten free menu and it did. But almost everything on it had dairy in it or shared a pan with dairy products.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Flavus Aquila

Flavus Aquila Finding My Place in the Sun
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ - A
    Enneagram:
    Is the dairy allergy a lactose allergy?

You can get lactase enzyme tablets apparently - you just down a couple before eating dairy and you can have all the creamy deserts you wish.

Food allergies sound like a pain in the butt. I'm slightly allergic to Sulphides they use as preservatives in uncooked prawns (shrimp) and dried fruit like apricots - but I'll just eat it anyway. :p

5. OP
    Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    I'm not entirely sure, however it is a thing to check into. My friend basically has to rearrange her entire diet due to the fact that everything has one of those four things.

I'll check with her tomorrow, she has to careful with just about anything she eats. Tonight she had chicken and said she would have to wait a few more days before she could have it again.

6. DoveAlexa

DoveAlexa Chaz's Lovey Bunny
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Celiac huh? Thats the worst thing ever :(!
    Yeah, get her a cookbook, and maybe take her out to asian markets since they'd have more rice products and lots of dairy-free stuff. Rice cheese is really really good. Though it doesn't cook quite the same.

Also, she might want a second-opinion, if she can afford it. I was misdiagnosed as being allergic to wheat and cotton by one allergy doctor, and the later one said the allergies weren't real allergies, just sensitivities from the fact that my throat gets all touchy from the fact that both release particles that float about and get into my airways bothering them. After maybe years of this subtle attack on my airways, things that I wasn't really allergic to make me have throat-swelling reactions, even though I wasn't truly allergic to them.

Another way to tell if she's really allergic is if she can actually sometimes eat these product and have no ill effects. That's what I had, and so I was said to not be allergic since if I was, I'd always react.

7. OP
    Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    These reactions are a bit different, they don't happen immediately. She could eat ice cream and be fine but be real sick and hour or so later, it also caused her to gain weight, lose her appetite and cause her hair to start falling out.

8. 894tt3h9

On Holiday

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Beep Boop
    Enneagram:
    Beep Boop
    I have no food allergies at all. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to suddenly find out you weren't able to eat so many things that are just plain delicious. I wish her the best of luck and hope she can find some good alternatives!

9. Flavus Aquila

Flavus Aquila Finding My Place in the Sun
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ - A
    Enneagram:

You might want to be cautious about asking her too much about her allergies, or offering any suggestions about what she might do to circumvent them - people with allergies are often very touchy about advice.

10. DoveAlexa

DoveAlexa Chaz's Lovey Bunny
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Shit, thats celiac alright.
    The thing about gluten is it has an analog in Milk even though its not true gluten. I don't know about eggs though.
    Did this just happen recently? I have been told by my doctor that extreme stressors on the body can cause it; getting pregnant is one example she gave me. Not saying its not possible, just, wow, that has got to suck way worse than being a kid with it.

11. arbygil

arbygil Passing through

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    She does have to be careful, but there are alternatives. For milk, have her investigate nut, rice, oat, soy, hemp, or coconut (natural, not canned) milks. Have her go to the health food store and ask some of the clerks and managers what they have that's gluten-free. Milk doesn't contain gluten, so unfortunately she might have problems there. Eggs, same thing. But it's not impossible, just difficult.

Here's a book that specifically has no gluten or dairy: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Wheat-Dairy-Free-Cookbook/dp/0722540272"]Amazon.com: Gluten, Wheat, and Dairy Free Cookbook (9780722540275): Antoinette Savill: Books[/ame]. She'll have to hunt around for a few recipe books that don't contain eggs as well, but I've seen a few (and I have one that rarely uses eggs on my shelf).

Here's a good website to start with as well: http://www.thesensitivepantry.com/

12. OP
    Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    Thanks guys, you've been a great help

13. slant

slant Anti gum-putter
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    None

I have no allergies but purposefully refuse to eat a number of things.

14. Bird

Bird Happy Go Lucky

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    -
    Enneagram:
    -

We know.
    :)

15. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    I have seafood allergies, except for fish. But since i don't love seafood anyway, it doesn't really affect me, although the smell will give me stomach upset.

16. Saru Inc

Saru Inc Schrödinger's Pussy
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENFJ
    Enneagram:
    3w4

I'm allergic to:

Banana
    Barley
    Kidney Bean
    Green Bean
    Lima Bean
    Yellow wax bean
    Broccoli
    Brussel Sprouts
    Cabbage
    Cantaloupe
    Cauliflower
    Cheese
    Crab
    Cow's Milk (any dairy products involving cows)
    Egg
    Grapefruit
    Haddock
    Lemon
    Lettuce
    Lime
    Lobster
    Goat's Milk (or anything involving goats milk)
    Orange
    Peanut
    Pineapple
    Plum
    Pumpkin
    Rape seed
    Rye
    Sesame
    Shrimp
    Soybean (so anything involving soy)
    Tangerine
    Tomato
    Wheat
    Gluten.

it's really not as bad as she may think. Unless she has severe reactions, such as Celiac's etc. etc. etc. then she can eat it. For example, when I eat dairy I get very tired/aggressive, but I don't die from it. It may be easier for her to cope by allowing her to eat at least some of it.

That being said, she can probably go to a Dietician who can formulate a diet for her on stuff to eat. There is TONS out there. I mean, honestly most of it is disgusting, but if she can't eat gluten or wheat there are other alternatives. I believe some Spelt doesn't have gluten in it. It can get expensive though. eat lots of corn instead.

Gaze likes this.
  17. Switchgirl

Switchgirl ON and OFF mode

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFp-Fe
    Enneagram:
    9w1 sx/sp
    I'm allergic to Accounting

18. OP
    Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    Turns out my friend was a celiac, which led to really poor reactions. That being said are you my wife? Because your list looks an awful lot like hers, sans the haddock and replace it with shell fish. And you're right she can eat most of the things with only minor reactions.

19. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    food intolerance or sensitivity vs food allergy

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/food-allergy/expert-answers/food-allergy/FAQ-20058538

Thought this was interesting because I never thought of the differences. I'm allergic to shell fish but I have a food aversion to eggs. I could eat eggs fine until recently. Just the smell of eggs turns me off.

#19 Gaze, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014