Barnabas

Time Lord
Oct 7, 2009
Florida man
MBTI
wiblywobly
Enneagram
timeywimey
A friend of mine found out this morning that she is allergic to a great many things.

Things like:
dairy

wheat

gluten

eggs

anybody else have a similar problem, I took her out to dinner tonight to try and cheer her up but the only thing she could have on the menu was a baked potato and a piece of grilled chicken

Reactions: Gaze
Heh.

Allergies are my specialty, sadly. Mine didn't threaten my life, so I went ahead and ate the foods anyway. Now my immune system is so compromised that I'm keeping it really, really tight: No grains, few fruits, few dairy products (mostly yogurt and a tiny bit of cheese), no nuts except sunflower seeds and occasional almonds, meats, and veg (but no tomatoes or acidic fruits/acidic veg).

I ate eggs for a bit, but I had to rotate them out.

Things that help when I eat out are the more expensive plates - ones that contain meat and a veg, and I usually substitute the rice or potato with another veg. Salads with meats are lifesavers, and there are some really good and creative salads out there. Vegetarian places can sometimes accommodate various diet restrictions, and if you call restaurants ahead of time you can find out if they can cook something special for her. Fast food places are tough, but it's possible - the menus are often online, and many have started listing allergens and gluten-filled products.

It's not impossible; it just takes a bit of pre-planning to make it happen.

Also? Pick up a gluten-free cookbook from the library, and cook a meal for her. She'll love you for it. :D

Reactions: Gaze and Barnabas
it's funny, the restaurant we went to sad it had a gluten free menu and it did. But almost everything on it had dairy in it or shared a pan with dairy products.

Is the dairy allergy a lactose allergy?

You can get lactase enzyme tablets apparently - you just down a couple before eating dairy and you can have all the creamy deserts you wish.

Food allergies sound like a pain in the butt. I'm slightly allergic to Sulphides they use as preservatives in uncooked prawns (shrimp) and dried fruit like apricots - but I'll just eat it anyway. :p

Is the dairy allergy a lactose allergy?

You can get lactase enzyme tablets apparently - you just down a couple before eating dairy and you can have all the creamy deserts you wish.

Food allergies sound like a pain in the butt. I'm slightly allergic to Sulphides they use as preservatives in uncooked prawns (shrimp) and dried fruit like apricots - but I'll just eat it anyway. :p

I'm not entirely sure, however it is a thing to check into. My friend basically has to rearrange her entire diet due to the fact that everything has one of those four things.

I'll check with her tomorrow, she has to careful with just about anything she eats. Tonight she had chicken and said she would have to wait a few more days before she could have it again.

Celiac huh? Thats the worst thing ever :(!
Yeah, get her a cookbook, and maybe take her out to asian markets since they'd have more rice products and lots of dairy-free stuff. Rice cheese is really really good. Though it doesn't cook quite the same.

Also, she might want a second-opinion, if she can afford it. I was misdiagnosed as being allergic to wheat and cotton by one allergy doctor, and the later one said the allergies weren't real allergies, just sensitivities from the fact that my throat gets all touchy from the fact that both release particles that float about and get into my airways bothering them. After maybe years of this subtle attack on my airways, things that I wasn't really allergic to make me have throat-swelling reactions, even though I wasn't truly allergic to them.

Another way to tell if she's really allergic is if she can actually sometimes eat these product and have no ill effects. That's what I had, and so I was said to not be allergic since if I was, I'd always react.

Celiac huh? Thats the worst thing ever :(!
Yeah, get her a cookbook, and maybe take her out to asian markets since they'd have more rice products and lots of dairy-free stuff. Rice cheese is really really good. Though it doesn't cook quite the same.

Also, she might want a second-opinion, if she can afford it. I was misdiagnosed as being allergic to wheat and cotton by one allergy doctor, and the later one said the allergies weren't real allergies, just sensitivities from the fact that my throat gets all touchy from the fact that both release particles that float about and get into my airways bothering them. After maybe years of this subtle attack on my airways, things that I wasn't really allergic to make me have throat-swelling reactions, even though I wasn't truly allergic to them.

Another way to tell if she's really allergic is if she can actually sometimes eat these product and have no ill effects. That's what I had, and so I was said to not be allergic since if I was, I'd always react.

These reactions are a bit different, they don't happen immediately. She could eat ice cream and be fine but be real sick and hour or so later, it also caused her to gain weight, lose her appetite and cause her hair to start falling out.

I have no food allergies at all. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to suddenly find out you weren't able to eat so many things that are just plain delicious. I wish her the best of luck and hope she can find some good alternatives!

I'm not entirely sure, however it is a thing to check into. My friend basically has to rearrange her entire diet due to the fact that everything has one of those four things.

I'll check with her tomorrow, she has to careful with just about anything she eats. Tonight she had chicken and said she would have to wait a few more days before she could have it again.

You might want to be cautious about asking her too much about her allergies, or offering any suggestions about what she might do to circumvent them - people with allergies are often very touchy about advice.

These reactions are a bit different, they don't happen immediately. She could eat ice cream and be fine but be real sick and hour or so later, it also caused her to gain weight, lose her appetite and cause her hair to start falling out.
Shit, thats celiac alright.
The thing about gluten is it has an analog in Milk even though its not true gluten. I don't know about eggs though.
Did this just happen recently? I have been told by my doctor that extreme stressors on the body can cause it; getting pregnant is one example she gave me. Not saying its not possible, just, wow, that has got to suck way worse than being a kid with it.

She does have to be careful, but there are alternatives. For milk, have her investigate nut, rice, oat, soy, hemp, or coconut (natural, not canned) milks. Have her go to the health food store and ask some of the clerks and managers what they have that's gluten-free. Milk doesn't contain gluten, so unfortunately she might have problems there. Eggs, same thing. But it's not impossible, just difficult.

Here's a book that specifically has no gluten or dairy: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Wheat-Dairy-Free-Cookbook/dp/0722540272"]Amazon.com: Gluten, Wheat, and Dairy Free Cookbook (9780722540275): Antoinette Savill: Books[/ame]. She'll have to hunt around for a few recipe books that don't contain eggs as well, but I've seen a few (and I have one that rarely uses eggs on my shelf).

Here's a good website to start with as well: http://www.thesensitivepantry.com/

Thanks guys, you've been a great help

A friend of mine found out this morning that she is allergic to a great many things.

Things like:
dairy

wheat

gluten

eggs

anybody else have a similar problem, I took her out to dinner tonight to try and cheer her up but the only thing she could have on the menu was a baked potato and a piece of grilled chicken

I have no allergies but purposefully refuse to eat a number of things.

I have seafood allergies, except for fish. But since i don't love seafood anyway, it doesn't really affect me, although the smell will give me stomach upset.

Things like:
dairy

wheat

gluten

eggs

I'm allergic to:

Banana
Barley
Kidney Bean
Green Bean
Lima Bean
Yellow wax bean
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Cantaloupe
Cauliflower
Cheese
Crab
Cow's Milk (any dairy products involving cows)
Egg
Grapefruit
Haddock
Lemon
Lettuce
Lime
Lobster
Goat's Milk (or anything involving goats milk)
Orange
Peanut
Pineapple
Plum
Pumpkin
Rape seed
Rye
Sesame
Shrimp
Soybean (so anything involving soy)
Tangerine
Tomato
Wheat
Gluten.

it's really not as bad as she may think. Unless she has severe reactions, such as Celiac's etc. etc. etc. then she can eat it. For example, when I eat dairy I get very tired/aggressive, but I don't die from it. It may be easier for her to cope by allowing her to eat at least some of it.

That being said, she can probably go to a Dietician who can formulate a diet for her on stuff to eat. There is TONS out there. I mean, honestly most of it is disgusting, but if she can't eat gluten or wheat there are other alternatives. I believe some Spelt doesn't have gluten in it. It can get expensive though. eat lots of corn instead.

Reactions: Gaze
I'm allergic to Accounting

I'm allergic to:

Banana
Barley
Kidney Bean
Green Bean
Lima Bean
Yellow wax bean
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Cantaloupe
Cauliflower
Cheese
Crab
Cow's Milk (any dairy products involving cows)
Egg
Grapefruit
Haddock
Lemon
Lettuce
Lime
Lobster
Goat's Milk (or anything involving goats milk)
Orange
Peanut
Pineapple
Plum
Pumpkin
Rape seed
Rye
Sesame
Shrimp
Soybean (so anything involving soy)
Tangerine
Tomato
Wheat
Gluten.

it's really not as bad as she may think. Unless she has severe reactions, such as Celiac's etc. etc. etc. then she can eat it. For example, when I eat dairy I get very tired/aggressive, but I don't die from it. It may be easier for her to cope by allowing her to eat at least some of it.

That being said, she can probably go to a Dietician who can formulate a diet for her on stuff to eat. There is TONS out there. I mean, honestly most of it is disgusting, but if she can't eat gluten or wheat there are other alternatives. I believe some Spelt doesn't have gluten in it. It can get expensive though. eat lots of corn instead.

Turns out my friend was a celiac, which led to really poor reactions. That being said are you my wife? Because your list looks an awful lot like hers, sans the haddock and replace it with shell fish. And you're right she can eat most of the things with only minor reactions.

food intolerance or sensitivity vs food allergy

What's the difference between a food intolerance and food allergy?
Answers from James T C Li, M.D., Ph.D.

Physical reactions to certain foods are common, but most are caused by a food intolerance rather than a food allergy. A food intolerance can cause some of the same signs and symptoms as a food allergy, so people often confuse the two.
A true food allergy causes an immune system reaction that affects numerous organs in the body. It can cause a range of symptoms. In some cases, an allergic reaction to a food can be severe or life-threatening. In contrast, food intolerance symptoms are generally less serious and often limited to digestive problems.
If you have a food intolerance, you may be able to eat small amounts of the offending food without trouble. You may also be able to prevent a reaction. For example, if you have lactose intolerance, you may be able to drink lactose-free milk or take lactase enzyme pills (Lactaid) to aid digestion.
Causes of food intolerance include:

• Absence of an enzyme needed to fully digest a food.Lactose intolerance is a common example.
  • Irritable bowel syndrome. This chronic condition can cause cramping, constipation and diarrhea.
  • Food poisoning. Toxins such as bacteria in spoiled food can cause severe digestive symptoms.
  • Sensitivity to food additives. For example, sulfites used to preserve dried fruit, canned goods and wine can trigger asthma attacks in sensitive people.
  • Recurring stress or psychological factors. Sometimes the mere thought of a food may make you sick. The reason is not fully understood.
  • Celiac disease. Celiac disease has some features of a true food allergy because it involves the immune system. However, symptoms are mostly gastrointestinal, and people with celiac disease are not at risk of anaphylaxis. This chronic digestive condition is triggered by eating gluten, a protein found in wheat and other grains.
If you have a reaction after eating a particular food, see your doctor to determine whether you have a food intolerance or a food allergy.
If you have a food allergy, you may be at risk of a life-threatening allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) — even if past reactions have been mild. Learn how to recognize a severe allergic reaction and know what to do if one occurs. You may need to carry an emergency epinephrine shot (EpiPen, Auvi-Q, others) for emergency self-treatment.
If you have a food intolerance, your doctor may recommend steps to aid digestion of certain foods or to treat the underlying condition causing your reaction.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/food-allergy/expert-answers/food-allergy/FAQ-20058538

Thought this was interesting because I never thought of the differences. I'm allergic to shell fish but I have a food aversion to eggs. I could eat eggs fine until recently. Just the smell of eggs turns me off.

Last edited: