Fluctuating MBTI results | INFJ Forum

Fluctuating MBTI results

Thoth

Regular Poster
Nov 20, 2008
MBTI
INTP/INFJ
A couple of months ago, when I first started looking into MBTI tests and such, I was reliably getting INFJ as my result. It would fluctuate a little in how strongly expressive the traits were. The Introverted iNtuition never really waivered too much, always hovering around 25% dominance. The Feeling and Judging moved a little and had lower scores, usually 10-20%. More recently, my tests have been coming back with more varied results. I've gotten INFJ, INFP, INTJ, and INTP. All of them have the same level of IN, but very low scores of the last two letters (I got a 1% Judging on one).

If I was experiencing wildly shifting emotions or stress I'd understand, but things have been fairly normal. I have been using different websites to test on, but the questions all still follow the same general format. When I read the descriptions of the different types, I feel like certain parts of it describe me very well but others miss the mark entirely.

So I ask all you folks. Am I somehow in between 4 types, or just managing to fail a personality test?

Am I somehow in between 4 types, or just managing to fail a personality test?

No and no.

Online tests can be rather subjective and easy to manipulate without even realising you're doing it. If you feel strongly that you relate to one type over the others than go with that as your best fit, if not read up on the other types to see if they may be a better fit, I recommend checking out the negative traits of the types, that can be more telling imo. It's also worth looking at your cognitive processes scores, that can help make it clearer for you. Otherwise reading and observing others can be the most telling.

I've gotten INFJ, INFP, INTJ, and INTP.

I've scored as all of them plus I've also scored as ENFP, ENTP, ISFP and ISTP, hell I even got ESTP once *eep*

What threw me off for so long is the first result I got was INTJ and it seemed to fit so I didn't question it too much, I joined a forum like this but for INTJs and I was looking for similarities not differences so it seemed right, it wasn't.

If you want you can give us some insight in case we can help you figure it out.

"
- [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Ni
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]- [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Ne
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]- [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Si
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]- [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Fi
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]- [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Ti
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]- [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Fe
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]- [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Te
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]- [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Se
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Your Possible Type Code
According to the traditional sorting method of finding the most-used functional pairs (such as Fi-Ne), your type might be:
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Possible result: INFP

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]We are also trying a new sorting method to try to indicate best-fit type. This method is experimental and may not match your type. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Possible result: INFP

Your Developmental Curve
This model attempts to graph a 'developmental curve'. Theoretically, people should choose simpler, less sophisticated aspects of the cognitive processes more often than they choose complex, more sophisticated aspects. The simpler aspects of each process are necessary to perform the more sophisticated aspects! However, because the phrases are in development, this measure has questionable validity.

Your self-assessment curve = -4.5

-- A curve less than 0 indicates you checked simpler phrases more often than sophisticated ones. This is expected, although a particularly low number (more than -10) might happen if the phrases were particularly unclear to you, or if you under-estimated your abilities.

-- A curve greater than 0 indicates you checked sophisticed phrases more often than simpler ones. This would be counter to a developmental model and might happen if many phrases are badly written or if you have over-estimated your capabilities.

Your Most-Used Processes
Based on your response, these are your top three cognitive processes in use:

[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Ni : Foreseeing implications and likely effects without external data; realizing 'what will be'; conceptualizing new ways of seeing things; envisioning transformations; getting an image of profound meaning or far-reaching symbols.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Ne : Interpreting situations and relationships; picking up meanings and interconnections; being drawn to change 'what is' for 'what could possibly be'; noticing what is not said and threads of meaning emerging across multiple contexts.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Si : Reviewing past experiences; 'what is' evoking 'what was'; seeking detailed information and links to what is known; recalling stored impressions; accumulating data; recognizing the way things have always been.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]These definitions are the copy protected material of Linda V. Berens and Telos Publications, Huntington Beach, CA and may not be used without the authors express written consent. All other material is the exclusive property of Dario Nardi, 2004 and may not be used without express written consent. Please contact us for permissions.

Your Developmental Report
Your pattern of responses indicates a developmental level in each cognitive processes. Since this is experimental, this report may be in error.

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Se
You are generally not aware of engaing in this process. You find it bothersome and unhelpful from others and question its value. You may mistake its use for something else. You may avoid or try to shut down situations that involve this process.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Te
You notice this process and enjoy when others use it but only occassionally find yourself engaging in it. You may marvel at others who do it very well. It doesn't appear useful to you personally and can annoy you if others use it too much.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Ti,Fi,Fe
You value this process as a helpful aid, even if you do not engage it that often. You trust it contributes to life, particularly when done by others who do the process well. You might recruit others to help you do this process for you.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Ni,Si,Ne
You actively use this process in your daily life as a useful tool or helpful aid. You could live without it but use definitely contributes to the what you do and who you are. You can work with others using this process, usually in a support role."
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]INFP. Hm. I dunno. It sounds good, but INFJ also sounds good. The Negative traits of both seem to apply, though INFJ's Shadow seems to be my personal demon. The description of the P (instead of J) sounds a little closer to what I'm going through right now though... what with the procrastinating and such. I am also a little prone to wandering around with my head in the clouds...
[/SIZE][/FONT]

You have to really examine your behavior and way of interacting with the world rather than random online tests. I can score as just about anything depending on the test and my mood, but in my naturally responsive state I am wholly INFJ.

If you read the descriptions and one of the types stands out more and not just because you think it sounds neat but because it really sounds like its talking about you, then that's your type. I can relate to the majority of the types on some level but it's almost scary reading INFJ, like "oh crap I hope nobody finds this out about me" kind of scary.

Read more about the types and their subtle differences.

Last edited:
Yup, what wylie one said.

INFP. Hm. I dunno. It sounds good, but INFJ also sounds good. The Negative traits of both seem to apply, though INFJ's Shadow seems to be my personal demon. The description of the P (instead of J) sounds a little closer to what I'm going through right now though... what with the procrastinating and such. I am also a little prone to wandering around with my head in the clouds...

INFPs can be motivated and INFJ can procrastinate :wink:

Not sure what descriptions you're reading but this web site has the best descriptions I've seen.

INFP
INFJ

Code:
INFP:Fi, Ne, Si, Te
INTP: Ti, Ne, Si, Fe
INFJ: Ni, Fe, Ti, Se
INTJ: Ni, Te, Fi, Se
^ for reference

So, your introvert is strong- so no problem there.
Your iNtuition is strong, which implies (to me) that it is probably your primary cognitive function. It makes sense for you to go back and forth between T and F since they'd be your secondary and tertiary functions.

And... P and J are crazy. They are useful for extroverts, but for introverts it's more hit & miss, since P & J don't identify whether your primary cognitive function is a Perceiving or Judging function, they just measure which one is your most extroverted function.

I think you're INFJ or INTJ. Which one? Who knows. The best strategy is to read profiles, to see what matches you.

Here is a very extensive (and possibly the best) profile for INTP. If you're curious, you could read it and eliminate yourself from being INTP.
http://www.intp.org/intprofile.html

The thing you really have to understand is personality in itself is a social construct, which means it doesn't really exist. More specifically, personality only exists because we all agree to behave as if it exists and recognize the parameters that have been thought up to define it. There are many concepts that are like this, such as intelligence, wisdom, mindfulness, shyness, etc. My point is there is no possible way you could categorize all the facets of human personality into 16 categories. For one, not everyone agrees on the defintioin of personality, just as not everyone agress on the definition for intelligence.

All the MBTI really does is take four spectrums (I vs. E, N vs. S, T vs. F, and J vs. P) of specific human preferential behavior and hypothesize ways in which various interactions of those preferences come together to form a familiar pattern, which we assign as a personality type. However, our position in the spectrums are inclined to change with our mood and other factors. Psychology does assume that personality is constant, and so when using an imperfect measure like the MBTI, you have to assess what feels like your positioin on the varous spectrums most of the time.

However, it is important to remember these are abstract concepts and exits purely in the human mind.

Satya, I give you points for the first part. Personality.... yeah, it is kind of a made up concept. I'll ponder that. :D

But the binary preferences in the MBTI... they're not a spectrum! You are one type or the other. The test results change when you answer questions in different moods. In that mood you might be relying on one cognitive function over another, so your test results will differ.

Mood is a factor when taking the test for this. I have found that if you take the test objectivly you can usually get the same results (easier said then done for most people).

Personally, my results have never changed. Thats because each of my letters is highly defined (most noteably my N).

Wow. Good points from all. Though I'm still kinda stuck seeing one fitting me more than the other (INFP or INFJ). Lurker's links are good because they are written in the first person. If you have the "Aha! It's like my inner monolauge" then you have a match. My problem... I go "Aha" at parts of both, but not at the whole thing of either...

*reads civilanjones' link*:m194:

Hmm... well... that was unexpected. I didn't notice that the link was for INTP, and thing it was describing INFP. I'm sitting here reading and going "Holy shit, this clears it up totally. So much for being an INFJ." Then I realized that it was INTP and promptly thought there had to be some mistake. As I kept reading, I saw further evidence of my own behaviors and beliefs in that article. More so, in fact, than I saw in either the INFP or INFJ articles. Well that's strange.

I think... I might have to chalk all of this up to recent emotional... eh... instability. Several months ago (when I first picked up the MBTI tests) I was going through a period of serious emotional conflict and inner turmoil brought on by a variety of internal and external events. I got to see first-hand what can happen if the unconsious mind makes a choice but the waking mind hasn't picked up the cues just yet, and stubbornly refuses to change. I got to see my Shadow creep up and make a royal mess of my normal life while my attention was on other things. In the end, the resistance of the self-image to unconsious forces ran out, and change took hold... and now I'm living without my ability to detach from emotion like I've been able to for most of my life.. and whew... what a lesson that is turning out to be. Curse you people who can't run away from emotions and learn how to deal with it early on.

So I'm thinking (just a theory) that I was an INTP, and many of my learned behaviors and defense mechanisms are from years of living like that. The recent changes and resulting emotional confusion may be confounding my test results, making me carry the appearance of other types. Am I rebuilding the INTP, and the current state is filler for it while I can't function "properly?" Am I changing for good, and turning into an INFP or INFJ? All very fascinating stuff.

See? I'm already glad I registered on this site. So much fun stuff to think about.

Which feels most comfortable for you, when your acting like intp, infp or infj?

But the binary preferences in the MBTI... they're not a spectrum! You are one type or the other. The test results change when you answer questions in different moods. In that mood you might be relying on one cognitive function over another, so your test results will differ.

They are very much a spectrum. The MBTI may not recognize it, but there are middle options. For example, between Extraversion and Introversion is Ambiversion. People can and do fall in this area and it is one of the limitations of the measure that it doesn't measure it.

I'm reading more about the INTP, and even though that result only showed up once on any of the tests I've taken... it really seems to describe me perfectly. Most of the descriptions seem to be a little less emotional than I am, though it's spot on about my past attempts to rationalize unjustified or "inappropriate" emotions away. The behaviors described by INTP profiles strongly resemble my own behaviors and thought processes... but I am still more attuned to my emotions than the descriptions allow for. I'm also much more of a slacker than INTP's sound like they are "supposed" to be.

Overall though... INTP seems to be a much more accurate fit than the other ones. How odd that most of the tests did not expose that. I'm still not totally convinced, but it certainly seems close.

I'm reading more about the INTP, and even though that result only showed up once on any of the tests I've taken... it really seems to describe me perfectly. Most of the descriptions seem to be a little less emotional than I am, though it's spot on about my past attempts to rationalize unjustified or "inappropriate" emotions away. The behaviors described by INTP profiles strongly resemble my own behaviors and thought processes... but I am still more attuned to my emotions than the descriptions allow for. I'm also much more of a slacker than INTP's sound like they are "supposed" to be.

Overall though... INTP seems to be a much more accurate fit than the other ones. How odd that most of the tests did not expose that. I'm still not totally convinced, but it certainly seems close.

Well than let me welcome you to the club, don’t think it’s possible to be too slack in this group. If you haven't already read and check this out if you want.

I've tested as every IN as well. I decided on INFJ simply because the description seemed to match who I was as a child before the world gone and fucked me up.

So I've come up with a theory.:m171:

The recent changes and events haven't made me shift personality types, but have instead been causing me to experience an unusually high (for me) level of emotional... stuff. Being somewhat unused to dealing with such relatively high levels of emotion (and the reasonably traumatic method of delivery for such emotion to my braincase), made me overstate how strongly feelings I am on the tests. To me it seemed that I was answering honestly but, in reality, the level of feeling I'm experiencing may be normal and I'm just unused to it.

Like coming out of a freezer into a warm room and sweating, while everyone else is comfortable and looking at the weird sweaty guy.

The P and J fluxuations could have several reasons for it... though if civilianjones' stance that they are "hit or miss" with introverts could easily explain/dismiss the whole thing. The descriptions of INTJ's are not me. I feel totally unassociated with the descriptions of it.

However, I am again drawn to the repeated descriptions of INTP's being "cold" and not taking others' feelings into consideration, as well as not seeking harmony and conflict resolution. All of these traits fail (spectacularly) to describe my interpersonal methods. I hate conflict and often try to make sure nobody walks away from an engagement with their feelings hurt. I'll do it if necessary, but I try my best to not hurt people.

I think this may be a case of the "spectrum" of personalities (even if the types themselves make no room for such things). I seem to be an INTP, but with very weak levels of T and P.

/drunk rant

However, I am again drawn to the repeated descriptions of INTP's being "cold" and not taking others' feelings into consideration, as well as not seeking harmony and conflict resolution. All of these traits fail (spectacularly) to describe my interpersonal methods. I hate conflict and often try to make sure nobody walks away from an engagement with their feelings hurt. I'll do it if necessary, but I try my best to not hurt people.

I think this may be a case of the "spectrum" of personalities (even if the types themselves make no room for such things). I seem to be an INTP, but with very weak levels of T and P.

/drunk rant

As an INTP I'd say I can appear cold and uncaring but this is certainly not the case it's just that I separate emotions from most decisions, add the fact that I’m often quite and drift off in my own little bubble and others can perceive me as impersonal and aloof, on the inside I care.

I also don't like conflict, I see nothing to be gained from it and would rather walk away than engage, if I am engaged I'm unlikely to get emotional or personal about it, I gain no satisfaction from hurting others and would prefer to never do so. Fe means I want others to ‘feel good’, again I say; I care, I just don't always know how to show it.

What you've said is not a reflection of INTPs who have developed their Fe imo. Read up some more.