Flooding in Calgary | INFJ Forum

Flooding in Calgary

I live north of Calgary. Recently, every time I hear the rain I imagine my tiny car floating away.

This is going to sound awful, but today I read an article warning people to stop building their houses in a flood zone.
And then I realized that the name of the town that saw most of the flooding was HIGH RIVER.

HIGH.
RIVER.

They must have seen this coming at least a little bit.

This is going to sound awful, but today I read an article warning people to stop building their houses in a flood zone.
And then I realized that the name of the town that saw most of the flooding was HIGH RIVER.

HIGH.
RIVER.

They must have seen this coming at least a little bit.

I actually agree with you 100%.

Also, maybe don't plan cities/nuclear power plants/etc. on major fault lines? If at all possible?

Nevertheless, sincerely hoping everyone and their tiny cars are okay. :/

TEll me one place that isn't at danger for at least an earthquake, flood, hurricane, tornado, nuclear plant, other major disaster?

Well, no place is immune from all forms of natural disaster, but there are quite a few cities that aren't actually below sea level, or located in a floodplain, or built on a major continental fault line.

Cincinnati maybe?

:) Yes, I know, all the "best" cities are near water, but with global warming/flooding, etc. people will unfortunately need to face facts and plan ahead.

That's why if you invest in cheap inland real estate it might make your heirs very very happy... In 100 years maybe Ohio will be in greater demand than Manhattan.

Anyway, I still do hope people are okay and sorry to hear about the flooding.

TEll me one place that isn't at danger for at least an earthquake, flood, hurricane, tornado, nuclear plant, other major disaster?

I'm pretty sure that Fault City, High River, Windy Plains, Hurricane Bay and Atomsville should be crossed off of that list.

Yesterday, I saw a sign on an ATM that said, "Out of order due to flooding in Calgary." So, I'm guessing things are still screwed up, although I haven't seen anything.